Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody else get frustrated at times watching the PGA nowadays?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Anybody else get frustrated at times watching the PGA nowadays?

Feb 15, 2021, 7:38 PM

Good lord, seems like they take forever just to line up a 4 foot putt. The "line" on the ball for alignment has made it even worse. They mark it, eyeball it from 48 different angles, the caddie does the same. Set the ball, address it, back off, mark it again, adjust the alignment... over and over. Jesus, it's a 4 foot putt with no break... what the #### are you doing?? Just hit it.

Oh, it gets even better when they miss it. A straight pull, no excuses, the cameras catch it from every angle. No, the ball didn't hit a freaking worm that just popped his head up. LOL. No, they just blew it. But the body language and antics of the players are unreal. They throw their hands up like something crazy happened... they smirk and look around like - did you see that? Then they make a big show of taking their putter and "patting down" that "bad spot" that caused the putt to go awry. Seriously? Greens now are so perfect, they're better than putting on the carpet in your bedroom. A 1000 times better than the greens that Arnie & Jack putted on...

It's like the guy who is strutting down the sidewalk all cocky, but then stumbles over his own two feet. He looks back like - there must have been a big crack in the sidewalk that caused that. LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: Anybody else get frustrated at times watching the PGA nowadays?

Feb 15, 2021, 7:43 PM

Yeah and there is no way they are using the same ball and equipment as me and my buddies. Chipping wedge from 150 ? I don't think so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2021, 8:05 PM

I hear you. I primarily watch professional golf with the hope of seeing our former Clemson golfers performing well. However, since we don't always have our Tigers featured on the television and/or streaming coverage, I spend a lot of mental effort rooting against certain players. Most of these players I root against are because I get sick of watching reactions like you described. I have no problem with the guys that cuss at themselves for hitting it poorly, but the ones that act like the course is out to sabotage them are quite annoying.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of them are already getting the dreaded "Paralysis by

Feb 15, 2021, 8:20 PM

Analysis" bug. This overanalyzing everything drove Bobby Clampett out of the game years ago. It also is one reason Jordan Spieth is not still winning like he did when he started out. Bryson DeChambeau is also in severe danger of it happening to him. The guys with the greatest success are the ones that let their natural talent take over. Such is the case with MiniCoot Dustin Johnson, who some of the other pros say is so dense that light actually bends when it is near him. That is some next level stupid right there!

His physical gifts must go beyond a golf swing too, something is keeping Paulina Gretsky around. It sure ain't his intellectual discussions. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll just wait on Skeeta's thoughts

Feb 15, 2021, 8:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skeeta doesn’t worry about the Pros . . .

Feb 16, 2021, 12:05 AM

His game gives him enough to consume his thoughts . . . But then again, he really doesn’t take his game too serious.

All he wants is a few friends and a few cold beers to share the round with.

He did enjoy the DJ density thoughts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The USGA/R&A need to ENFORCE........

Feb 15, 2021, 8:54 PM

time limits instead of just giving them lip service. Every other sport has time constraints or restrictions - golf should be no different.

Re: The USGA/R&A need to ENFORCE........

Feb 15, 2021, 9:10 PM

When they miss a putt, they act like someone or the caddie caused them to miss it. Also, the announcers just flapping their mouths when they should just shutup and show what is happening on the course. Most of them are previous pros and know the game, but just quit talking so much, just annoying as he77 listening to some of them.

Poster above talking about how long it takes to make a putt, also some of these guys take forever to hit a shot from the fairway. My club monitors this junk and they will have the ranger to have a conversation with them and if they continue to be slow, they will have you to pick up the ball and move ahead. Can't do that in a tournament, but put their a$$ on the clock and enforce it. Continues, then disqualify them. Do that a couple of times and you will see that shyt stop.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2021, 9:13 PM [ in reply to The USGA/R&A need to ENFORCE........ ]

How about the length of time it takes to drop the ball after going into a hazard. First they have to measure 2 club lengths. Then they drop up to 2 times. Finally they get to place the ball at the point ball hit ground from being dropped 18 inches. But wait. If the ball rolls one dimple after being placed on the ground we have to respot it until no movement is noticed. Just throw the ball down and hit it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2021, 9:21 PM

Some of the rules need a major revision. I have read the rules book a few times and some of the rules are ridiculous. Maybe I should say most of the rules are ridiculous. USGA and the R&A really need to sit down and review some of those ridiculous rules.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2021, 9:34 PM

Baseball is as guilty as golf. It’s as if they have totally put aside the viewer enjoyment aspect. Anymore than 15 seconds to line up a putt should be an automatic stroke penalty. If all are following the rules, then this will have no effect on who wins or loses. Everyone plays practice rounds, has all the research they can dream of on these greens through their caddies.

In baseball, a guy stepping out of the box after every pitch and pleasuring himself along with the pitcher who must walk to centerfield and touch the fence before throwing the next pitch has slowed the game immensly.

And of course in golf, if the guys who make a living do it, then the weekender with a 22 handicap will definitely follow as that $10 weekend dogfight isn’t won on beer and luck alone

Feb 15, 2021, 9:37 PM

Actually I would rather watch the pros line up that 4 footer over and over again than to watch a bunch of prima donna's running up and down a court, and playing no defense while one rich owner wants to stop the playing of our Anthem while the League panders to a Communist government bent on world domination and our President bows down to it.

The real reason they take so long now

Feb 15, 2021, 9:41 PM

Is trying to make sure they don’t say the dreaded f word in case they miss the putt and lose their sponsors. Not the word that rhymes with luck

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The real reason they take so long now

Feb 15, 2021, 10:30 PM

No, the word that starts with the letter "F" rhymes with maggott ,and Justin Thomas lost Ralph Lauren(POLO) because of it.

people still wear Polo (other people they sponsor)?***

Feb 15, 2021, 10:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes to all of the above. They just take forever over-analyzing

Feb 15, 2021, 10:55 PM

everything. You're not not splitting the atom here, just make a golf shot. You don't need to calculate the relative humidity, the air density, and what phase the moon is in... just hit the damm ball!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes to all of the above. They just take forever over-analyzing

Feb 16, 2021, 5:57 PM

Apparently you have been following Bryson DeChambeau.

Re: Yes to all of the above. They just take forever over-analyzing

Feb 17, 2021, 2:00 PM

And watching Daniel Berger putt last weekend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Yep, you're right 76... that was excruciating. There were times

Feb 17, 2021, 10:14 PM

I just channel-surfed off for a few minutes, I couldn't take it...

Feb 16, 2021, 6:58 AM

The slower they go, the easier it is to nap to.

The worst part about it, is the effect on the weekenders, who think they have to take their time just like the pros. Hate playing behind/or with people like that.

Feb 16, 2021, 9:28 AM

I agree with most all that has been said -- as long as I can remember, putt alignment / plumb-bobbing,ect has slowed the game some what __ I always tell folks about my golf game @ 15 handicapper, ( I'm a ""hacker"", but, I'm a ""fast hacker"" ) -- in our dog fights, we pick up after double bogey is reached, if we didn't we would never get through before dark-thirty !!!!!

Feb 16, 2021, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Anybody else get frustrated at times watching the PGA nowadays? ]

Add in the lack of crowd noise and it does lend itself even more to napping! And you are right, I hate slow golfers. A buddy of mine was one of those guys until our relentless heckling calling him "Kevin Na" finally wore him down and he started playing faster

Feb 16, 2021, 12:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Anybody else get frustrated at times watching the PGA nowadays? ]

Slow play has been a problem at my club for years. Many times I have said that we need to cancel half our members’ Golf Channel subscriptions.

Feb 16, 2021, 9:29 AM

need a shot clock. It worked against the four corners.

Feb 16, 2021, 6:48 PM

I agree with a shot clock, 1 stroke penalty. Also there is talk of messing with the golf equipment because of how far they are hitting ball. I would prefer taller rough, deeper bunkers and not allowing officials and fans finding balls for the players. This is really an advantage to wack the ball out of site and in to an area that a ball would be lost if not for someone running right to ball and sticking a flag beside it.

Feb 16, 2021, 9:38 AM

Speith and his caddy on Sunday took forever to hit a wedge. Talked about the wind, slope of the green, adrenaline, etc. He ended up short and left of the green. I turn to ms midland and said I would have gotten my yardage, taken a swig of my beer and hit my wedge. I would not have been any worse off.

Re: Yes, but, its also a source of comedy once in a while...

Feb 16, 2021, 11:06 AM

Screw Calford.

I would definitely be frustrated with myself ...

Feb 16, 2021, 11:08 AM

... if I wasted time watching golf.

Re: I would definitely be frustrated with myself ...

Feb 16, 2021, 11:20 AM

I'd rather be playing than watching for sure, but after this monsoon of a winter so far and with Covid restrictions in place, I have found myself watching much more than I have in past years for sure.

TV coverage switches back-and-forth enough to keep things

Feb 16, 2021, 12:32 PM

moving.

We all survived the Sergio "regrip and waggle 18 times" debacle several years back, so we'll be fine. :)

Re: TV coverage switches back-and-forth enough to keep things

Feb 17, 2021, 2:09 PM

Agreed. We also survived the slow play of Bernhard Langer.

They need to limit practice swings. Swinging 20 times with a

Feb 16, 2021, 4:17 PM

7 iron just to change clubs and swing 20 time with a six iron is too much. You guys are good but you can't tell me there's a noticeable difference in 1 club.

It's getting too slow...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Feb 17, 2021, 1:16 PM

Nope. Just sleepy.

I stopped watching and play Golden Tee...........

Feb 17, 2021, 1:40 PM

It's easier to watch the tournament after its finished and just fast forward through the commercials and slow players.

Feb 18, 2021, 6:29 AM

That’s easy for you to say but if you missed a putt that subtracted $50,000 on your final payout you’d maintain a poker face?

Mmmm kay

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 8:20 AM

Agreed. Line it up and hit it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic