Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any year we don't make the NCAA tournament in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Any year we don't make the NCAA tournament in

Feb 2, 2020, 1:23 PM

basketball, it should be considered a disappointment, never any kind of success, or anything acceptable on an ongoing basis. Sure we won't make it every year, as sometimes we must rebuild, or having a down year or two is probably to be expected every now and then. But when the expectation becomes merely to finish mid-pack in our conference, we have given up. We have become losers. We are what our record says we are; anything else is delusional; just us, very pathetically, trying to make ourselves feel better about disappontment. We were "pretty good" under Tommy Bowden in football. We didn't suck. But it wasn't good enough, and we all knew it. Most of us saw change as a good thing, as a sign of hope. I don't understand why we accept such a loser mentality in basketball. I've followed Clemson basktball since the late 1960's, and I understand the challenges. I also think those challenges can be addressed and overcome.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

And we knew all of this years ago

Feb 2, 2020, 1:29 PM

yet nothing has changed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And we knew all of this years ago

Feb 2, 2020, 1:40 PM

and that's the most frustrating part.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Any year we don't make the NCAA tournament in

Feb 2, 2020, 2:03 PM

The NCAA tournament is very exclusive.
Hardly any teams make it in.
Expecting Clemson to regularly make the tournament is ridiculously unrealistic.
And we need better fans, obviously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 2, 2020, 2:49 PM

64 teams make it in. Clemson should be consistantly one of 64, at least more often than not. I don't understand why Clemson can't be a consistant top 25 basketball team. Earn the tourney, earn the fanbase, earn the respect. A very good season should get ua beyond the sweet sixteen, but a good season gets us to the NIT. Something is broken.

Feb 2, 2020, 3:25 PM

I think he was being facetious... But could be wrong.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2020, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Any year we don't make the NCAA tournament in ]

36 teams make it as the other 32 are reserved for conference winners.

Feb 5, 2020, 9:27 AM

Good info.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Feb 2, 2020, 2:43 PM

Check your history again. Things have changed.

Since 1977 here are the facts. And it's easier to get in now than ever before.

77-2000 , we missed a tournament 4 times.

2000- 2020, we'll have missed a tournament 10 times.
4 from shyatt - first year he took Barnes team
1 from Parnell first year which is understandable
5 from brownel in 10 years first year took Parnell team.

Joe needs to see Brad is only slightly better than shyitt. History tells it all.

2 coaches account for 9 of the 14 tournaments missed in 43 years. And 1, Parnell miss was understanding after taking over from shyitt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s not easier than ever to get in the tournaments

Feb 2, 2020, 4:30 PM

There are like 320 d-1 basketball teams - many who’s sole athletic existence and focus is basketball. The tourney has shifted to award more non-p5/6teams vs the late 80s and 90 and the first decade of the 2000s. Expansion has made things harder not easier in conf. The move to 20 games will be a further detriment to the non-elite teams. This year is a prime example as the ACC has the highest or 2nd highest non-conf %. In the past that would have reflected into a high conf RPI yet the ACC is like 6th in conf NET somehow. The NET is BS IMO. I think removing the extra non-conf games minimized the ACCs ability to prove itself against the other top conf. That was roughly 30 non-conf games they removed from the schedule as a league. Also, comparing total tourney appearances from previous eras is going to skew data. Until the last 10 years or so, you basically got in to the NIT as a P5 with a winning record but now those spots are saved for the smaller conf champs who lose their tourney. It also was almost a guarantee if you were .500 or above in conf then you were almost guaranteed an NCAA bid. I’m not going to dig up all the records but would be willing to bet that Brownell teams would have qualified for many more NCAA tourneys and NITs if the old unwritten rules the previous staffs were afforded still applied. Trying to compare Brad to Shyatt is ludicrous. Is he Barnes or Ellis - no but like his teams he’s somewhere in the middle. Last year was Brownell’s big miss. That team should have made a repeat trip. This year has actually overachieved IMO even prior to all the injuries.

Dream Big

Feb 2, 2020, 3:27 PM

signed Dabo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2020, 3:32 PM

is typical. Under the old win ACC tourney to go rules we'd still be waiting. we accept this futility yet some who would never go to a hoops game act outraged when we dont go. it is the most bizarre fan base I've ever seen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 2, 2020, 4:18 PM

It’s easy for fans to think this is the best we can expect when the AD hands out a $5 mil buyout for 3 NIT wins in year 4.

Don't make it to the Dance? A year comes off

Feb 2, 2020, 5:01 PM

his contract. Makes a buyout cheaper. Make the Dance, add a year.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: Don't make it to the Dance? A year comes off

Feb 5, 2020, 6:54 AM

You're much nicer than I am. CBB would have to make the second round before I would even consider keeping him, and definitely NEVER add that extra year unless he made the Final Four. He owes CLEMSON and their fans more than this.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic