Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any Viet Nam vets planning to go on the field
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 66
| visibility 1

Any Viet Nam vets planning to go on the field

Nov 19, 2015, 2:57 PM

at halftime? I almost ( guess I am lying about the "almost" part) get tears in my eyes just thinking about it. I'm probably still in denial about PTSD - certain things like this bring back many memories. Not sure just how I would feel being recognized by the Clemson fans when the ones who gave so much more than I did can never experience that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for your service. My dad is also a Vietnam Vet.

Nov 19, 2015, 3:04 PM

unfortunately, PTSD wasn't handled/diagnosed when y'all returned to the states like it is these days. You deserve the recognition and I'm sure your brothers in arms that aren't here anymore would agree. Thanks again.

Re: Any Viet Nam vets planning to go on the field

Nov 19, 2015, 3:09 PM

My father passed away about two years ago, was a Vietnam vet. Most certainly had PTSD, though it wasn't diagnosed. I think it would have meant a lot to him to be on the field. Hope you will be. I sure do miss him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 20, 2015, 12:40 PM

You deserve to go out onto the field to be observed and honored. Good luck and thank you for your service!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go on the field. You've EARNED it . . . to say the least.

Nov 19, 2015, 3:11 PM

Thank you for your service & sacrifices.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Brother, go out on the field because you RATE to do it

Nov 19, 2015, 3:18 PM

You served in a war where thousands of cowards ran from service and the self entitled mentality was born in this country. You were one of the ones who stood up when the cowards ran. At least you were there, man. Your soul and conscience is clear. The senior SNCO's who took me under their wing back in '89 when I became a Marine were almost all Nam vets and they were father figures to me. They are my heroes and so are all Nam vets because ya'll fought in an unpopular war and were disregarded upon return. One thing though....you know a bond and a love that the protected masses will never know...the one that men who have faced combat head on know. Go on the field and soak it up, man. You DESERVE that. I know what you went through and I deal with all of the emotions you feel because I am a retired Marine Corps infantryman vet of Desert Storm, Somalia, Iraq (twice), and Afghanistan. I am your brother. Go on the field and who cares if it makes you tear up....do it for your brothers and my brothers that were KIA and WIA and those of us who miss those bonds and detest the self absorbed mentality of entitlement shown by so many who are protected by the men and women in uniform. God bless you brother.

Very well said, +1***

Nov 19, 2015, 3:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brother, go out on the field because you RATE to do it

Nov 19, 2015, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Brother, go out on the field because you RATE to do it ]

Thanks, man - I might do it, but wanted to know how many T-Netters might be down there as well.

if I wasn't in San Jose, CA I would be right beside you

Nov 19, 2015, 3:29 PM

Trust me, man.

Thank you for your service, but just because

Nov 19, 2015, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Brother, go out on the field because you RATE to do it ]

a certain portion of youth during that tumultous time in history recognized the politician's war called Vietnam and didn't want to die, I don't believe that makes them cowards. You say it started an entitlement epidemic in this country. I think it started the youth telling the politicians kiss my ### and you can send your son or daughter over there to fight a pointless war and that feeling is still there today depending on the war. That is why there could never be another draft. The youth know way too much about what and why wars are being suggested and it would be crazy telling this generation you have to go fight. You are right. Vietnam started something. It started a deep mistrust of government when it comes to war and its never left. Again, thank you for your service and everyone else that has served.

We will agree to disagree

Nov 19, 2015, 9:24 PM

I appreciate the thank you for service and always will but if young American men are being sent to fight, albiet right or wrong, there is no way I am going to be one that finds a way not to go, period. This nation has major issues but if American men have to serve, then those who went will always be my brothers. Those who serve nothing but their self interest, I dont have a lot to talk about with.

Well said, and those that served should

Nov 19, 2015, 9:36 PM

definitley take the field. Vets today definitley get a measure of respect that wasn't given back then.

I thank you for your service and...

Nov 19, 2015, 3:38 PM

thank God for people that serve our nation. Where would we all be without them?

Go on the field young man. I'll be yelling my appreciation

Nov 19, 2015, 4:02 PM

to you AND your brothers who won't be there that YOU are representing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am a VIet Nam vet 1965-1966

Nov 19, 2015, 4:24 PM

I went on the field a few years back when they recognized the Viet Nam vets. I will not be there this week. Recommend you do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am a VIet Nam vet 1965-1966

Nov 19, 2015, 8:35 PM

Thanks - I was there in 1970 and spent the biggest part of 1971 in Walter Reed where we received a lot of appreciation. Different groups from the DC area came in each night. Even people like Johnny Unitas and General Westmoreland came in to shake our hands.

Go down there and be recognized....

Nov 19, 2015, 4:40 PM

....HERO!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

orngpurple® said it best

Nov 19, 2015, 5:48 PM

Gotta go out. Plenty of us who came after you guys will be teary eyed too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sir! do not discount your service! My Dad a 25 year veteran

Nov 19, 2015, 8:35 PM

ran down the Hill before the Clemson Maryland game. Anyway he said was the best feeling he had since he first joined.. "The kids on the were all high fiving us even the Troopers/Deputies were shaking our hands and saying Welcome Home!
Then one year they went out on the field in formation. I laughed when someone yelled out Vietnam! Fall in! Dang it Fall in.
Those old cats lined up like it was in their genes

Proper tears will be shed when the crowd goes silent and they fire the 21 gun salute.
Some gave all but to you my friend WELCOME HOME! thanks for trying to make a difference!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sir! do not discount your service! My Dad a 25 year veteran

Nov 19, 2015, 8:39 PM

I still lose it anytime I am at a military funeral and Taps is played, especially at my Dad's funeral last year.

We all do, trust me

Nov 19, 2015, 9:28 PM

Because we KNOW what it truly means.

Go on the field! It is a priviledge for us to honor you.***

Nov 19, 2015, 8:38 PM

Go Soak In The Love...My War Was The JV Compared to Your War

Nov 19, 2015, 8:38 PM

My Father In Law Still Has Bad Night Terrors About That Place. He Was an ACR guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget to check the front page for details on getting

Nov 19, 2015, 8:51 PM

on the field.

Re: Don't forget to check the front page for details on getting

Nov 19, 2015, 8:53 PM

Reading that is what made me post this. Still have no responses from anyone who plans to go down there.

I'm a USAF Vet, dad was Army, grandad was AAC

Nov 19, 2015, 8:54 PM

and I think you should absolutely go down on the field at halftime. Vietnam vets deserve the love. Let us fans love on ya.

C17 flyover at the game how about a preview video

Nov 19, 2015, 9:07 PM

My family is eat up with Red White and Blue! ????

Click here for the YouTube video https://youtu.be/5coax_lR1eI

Please go on (my Bro. Barry KIA Sept. 29, 1969) You deserve

Nov 19, 2015, 9:36 PM

all the honors you can get. Barry grew up in Clemson and was a medevac chopper pilot and had two weeks left. GO FOR IT!

I know you understand the value of the job your brother was

Nov 19, 2015, 9:41 PM

doing but I hope you know how the grunts on the ground appreciated what he was doing. Your brother was doing the job of an absolute angel to the grunts who were facing the enemy. You cannot put into words how much of a hero your brother was. God rest his soul, man.

YES! Thanks, please see YouTube Dogtags and Body Bags in

Nov 19, 2015, 10:03 PM

Memory of CWO Barry Alexander - a digital story I wrote about my dear Bro. after finding his dogtag at the Vietnam Experience at Patriots Point, Charleston/Mt.Pleasant last Veterans Day (2014) I really appreciate your comments and will add them to the YouTube! Tigeron '66

I will man, thank you. Google 3rd Battalion 5th Marines

Nov 19, 2015, 10:12 PM

Sangin, Afghanistan. I was Lima 3/5 Company Gunnery Sergeant. Our nickname was DARKHORSE, our radio call sign. 26 KIA 190 WIA in my battalion and I knew them all. God bless the Marine, USAF, and British medevac choppers that got our brother grunts out of there and saved lives. Its so loud on those choppers that you cannot verbally communicate but seeing the thumbs up from them as we laid the stretcher down and the slaps on the back from the air crew as we disembarked was all we needed to know they were going to save our Marine....not to mention the countless times the crew ran off the bird to meet us to get the stretcher, often times with bullets flying. Those guys are sent from God, man, and your brother was one of them.

My father was a Marine at Okinawa and i was born at Lejeune

Nov 19, 2015, 10:20 PM

Presently I volunteer at VA in Charleston working with vets mostly in Hospice - ones who do not have much time left...GREAT HEROES - OUR MOTTO IS TO MAKE EVERY MOMENT COUNT FOR THEM!

God bless you man....wow

Nov 19, 2015, 10:26 PM

Some folks just GET IT..and you are one of them...Semper Fidelis to your father. I was stationed at Lejeune from 2003 to 2006. Two Iraq tours there with 2nd Battalion 9th Marines (2/9).

Doesn't get any better than that.....and thanks for

Nov 20, 2015, 8:33 AM [ in reply to My father was a Marine at Okinawa and i was born at Lejeune ]

volunteering at the VA......great stuff!

Sept 28, 1970 -one day short of an exact year

Nov 19, 2015, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Please go on (my Bro. Barry KIA Sept. 29, 1969) You deserve ]

from your brother's sacrifice was when one of his fellow pilots put his life and the lives of his crew in harms way to pluck me from the side of a mountain on the darkest of nights - not a star in the sky. If not for such bravery I, and many like me, would not be here today. The Wall in DC would have many more names if not for your brother and others like him who came to the rescue of so many. I truly feel for your loss.

Ah man, bringing tears to my eyes - will try to get your

Nov 19, 2015, 10:12 PM

tribute on his youtube - Dogtags and Body Bags - a tribute to Barry Alexander! Are you going on the field?

Re: Ah man, bringing tears to my eyes - will try to get your

Nov 19, 2015, 10:17 PM

I think I have finally been convinced to go out there. Some of us need a little push to do something outside our comfort zone and this is one of those times.

Best news I have heard in a long time

Nov 19, 2015, 10:21 PM

I will stand and cheer you from San Jose, CA....through the TV I will cheer you, brother. Bless you.

Re: Ah man, bringing tears to my eyes - will try to get your

Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Ah man, bringing tears to my eyes - will try to get your ]

perhaps you could put stickers on your shirt with the names of the ones that you knew who lost their life. You could carry them on your back as you and them are celebrated for your service.

https://youtu.be/Wls8ineKpCY***

Nov 19, 2015, 10:31 PM

I just watched the youtube video

Nov 19, 2015, 10:40 PM

and the screen got blurry or maybe it was my eyes. What a beautiful tribute to a man who was more of a man than so many others who ran or found a way to protect themselves. Your brother flew that chopper into the danger to pull out the grunts who were in the teeth of danger. Orwell said, "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because there are rough men who stand ready to do violence on their behalf". Your brother was one of those men. God rest his soul.

I am very grateful! I was so angry at his death that I said

Nov 19, 2015, 11:39 PM

that I wanted to "desert" but I did go back and finish my time and was offered a Commendation Medal, but BARRY was THE MAN! I still have some survivors guilt combined with grief, however volunteering at the VA really helps me - think about getting some more stories out like that - one is a 94 yr, old WW 11 vet who was in Phillipines when they were run out, went on an helped liberate New Guinea and then back with MaCarthur to help liberate the Phillipines - some amazing stories and the other is about a 89 yr.old vet who was a combat medic in Okinawa the same time my Dad was there. They really enjoy telling me the stories, and I enjoy listening. I got a lot out of DRod's book RISE and took some vets to meet him the Medal Of Honor bowl here in Charleston. A great book about VIETNAM is ANGELS IN VIETNAM by John Wesley Fisher - he got ptsd bad and I could not put the book down! Semper Fi FORMER Marine and I know Marines are always Marine! THANK YOU!

It does me good to just chat with you here man

Nov 19, 2015, 11:45 PM

Read "With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge and "Fields of Fire" by James Webb. The type of books you cannot scrape out of your mind after reading them because they are so brutally honest about combat that they are uncomfortable for people to read that do not want truth. You served man...you served, period. You were part of the solution and not part of the problem in this nation where so many only serve themselves.

Books - I share them with the vets. here, so I will get them

Nov 19, 2015, 11:53 PM

Thanks! I want to help make a movie about ANGELS IN VIETNAM, as it is so inspiring. The author was an excellent soldier and helped kill over a thousand Vietnamese and then came home to be called a Babykiller etc and wrote other books one called NOT WELCOMED HOME. Vietnam vets really need to be honored now - better late than never. I will go and find those books. thanks again!

It's because of your brother that we will be able to...

Nov 20, 2015, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Please go on (my Bro. Barry KIA Sept. 29, 1969) You deserve ]

walk out onto the field tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned those medivac pilots are right at the top of the list of my heroes. I know you are proud of your brother and have every right to be. He may have saved the life of one of the guys that will be on the field tomorrow!

My brother and I will both be there...Marine Viet Nam

Nov 19, 2015, 10:09 PM

Vets (him 1966 - me 1970) and will probably walk down on the field. We are always a little self-conscious, as like you, the ones that were really special are not around to walk out on the field. But if others think we are deserving of recognition, I am not going to tell them that they are wrong.

One other thing...to the poster who suggested that those who fled to Canada, or wherever, to avoid going to war not being cowards. I'm not going to comment on them specifically, but will only say that we didn't go to war because we were fighting some politician's war. Marines, GIs, Airmen, and Sailors fight for each other and never give politicians a single thought. We also fight for our fellow citizens, but it is the commoraderie with our brothers-in-arms that forms the cohesive units that motivate us to be an effective fighting force.

Re: My brother and I will both be there...Marine Viet Nam

Nov 19, 2015, 10:14 PM

Please be there - it will be an honor to shake your hand. Marines and Army Infantry do share a common bond.

AWESOME HEROES! ALL OF YOU, THANK YOU!***

Nov 19, 2015, 10:24 PM

Semper Fidelis brother, USMC Retired 0311/0369 here

Nov 19, 2015, 10:19 PM [ in reply to My brother and I will both be there...Marine Viet Nam ]

God bless you, your brother, and every single Nam vet that served. Look up Theodore Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" quote. When I have bad days, and you know what I am talking about, I read that framed quote and it makes me recalibrate myself.

Please go on the field and receive the recognition that you

Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 PM

greatly deserve and thank you for your service to America.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2015, 10:28 PM

Thanks brother.... Like some others have said... You've earned it and let us at least pay tribute to yall

I learned something this year (although I really knew this)

Nov 19, 2015, 11:11 PM

while trying to appreciate the 70-year anniversary of the 2nd World War. I ran across the new project "The Faces Of Margraten" which the Dutch launched earlier this year. They've already shown their appreciation by the adoption of every grave since 1945. 2 things struck me when I saw this, one being that I wish that all Americans would appreciate Service men and women of all wars as they do for Margraten, and secondly is that there is no moment in time where there well ever be enough new projects in repayment for such Heroism on our behalf. The simple fact is is that we all are forever indebted and will never feel we've expressed that enough. That will never change but I do know we'd LOVE to show it whenever that rare opportunity presents itself. I know I am eager to and am certain all others feel the same. I feel silly even posting this as poorly as it is written but it helps us by letting us say THANK YOU to not only you but to those that gave their full measure. Each and All deserve recognition. You all are Heroes and I thank you.

Thank you for that

Nov 19, 2015, 11:16 PM

That meant a lot to read that.

It is selfish for me to ask but do know we don't often get

Nov 19, 2015, 11:20 PM

to do this. This means a lot to us. Regardless, forever indebted here

Its people like you that makes what we went through

Nov 19, 2015, 11:27 PM

worth it. It means a lot to know that people respect and appreciate it as well. Those memories never leave us but hearing from people who appreciate it make those memories not as jagged and raw sometimes. Thank you man.

My honor and pleasure- Thank you!***

Nov 19, 2015, 11:30 PM

Just found this in my slides.....check out the ring of the

Nov 19, 2015, 11:36 PM

dude (me) on the left side of the photo if you can make the photo large enough (and if the photo actual;lay shows up). This photo is of some of my platoon members on top of a mountain overlooking Elephant Vally, getting ready to blow up a bunch of 81mm mortar illumination rounds.

webkit-fake-url://63429879-0956-480F-86DD-E82B9B146A3C/image.tiff

Darn....didn't show up as a photo! I amy try again!********

Nov 19, 2015, 11:37 PM

Try this!

Nov 19, 2015, 11:58 PM

GET SOME....0341 mortar boys doing work!

Nov 19, 2015, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Just found this in my slides.....check out the ring of the ]

Man did the 60mm and 81mm boys rain some hell down for us in Desert Storm, Somalia, Iraq, and Afghanistan...we called them "tube monkeys" but they are a grunts best friend.

Go, get the recognition you deserve

Nov 20, 2015, 9:35 AM

And the praise you earned, both for yourself and on behalf of the ones who aren't around to receive that honor. You can pass it forward when you meet them again. Thank you for your service.

Nov 20, 2015, 11:22 AM

Yes sir! Definitely go! Im a Iraq and Afghanistan vet myself. My late father was a Vietnam vet, man i grew up listening to his stories and held on to every memory. I can still do some of the handshakes (dap) that he taught me. My dad suffered from PTSD as well and it was sad the lack of treatment and acknowledgement of it. I currently suffer from PTSD myself. But I will never regret my service! Go Tigers!

Nov 20, 2015, 11:28 AM

I will not be at the game myself this weekend. But I will be watching! I hope a few videos of halftime make it to T Net!

Welcome home brother, don't ever regret it man

Nov 20, 2015, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Any Viet Nam vets planning to go on the field ]

Iraq 2005 and 2006-2d Bn 9th Marines
Afghanistan 2010-2011-3d Bn 5th Marines

Always be proud of answering the call brother.

If you served in Nam and survived go out onto the field

Nov 20, 2015, 11:40 AM

hold you head up with pride. It was God's choice as to who came home and to those that did not come home. You are a hero to me and thousands of others. All military personal are heroes no matter what their job is or was.

Go out on that field represent God, family, Country and Clemson!

Thank you for my freedom!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Vietnam Vets, You

Nov 20, 2015, 11:49 AM

need to go on the field and be recognized. I know it is difficult looking back on a war that was so despised in the public eye. My grandfather is a vet and he never talks about it. While people don't look at Vietnam favorably, I look at all the veterans with even more respect and admiration.

Thank you, sir. God Bless

Please give myself and others the honor of thanking you

Nov 20, 2015, 12:04 PM

We stand on the shoulders of brave men and women like you. It's an extraordinary honor to be able to thank you.

Replies: 66
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic