Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another interesting article on the Playoff Committee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,566

Another interesting article on the Playoff Committee

Dec 5, 2019, 9:19 AM

In the Washington Post by Chuck Culpepper. Probably in excess of a thousand words and mentions Clemson ONCE. Basically says whoever gets stuck at two has to play the Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another interesting article on the Playoff Committee

Dec 5, 2019, 9:33 AM

I think that the fear of playing Clemson in the Semis is a sufficient reason to put them no. 1. Doesn’t that mean Clemson passes the eye test regardless of competition?

Dec 5, 2019, 9:53 AM

That's one way to look at it.

The other way to look at it would be that there is such a huge gap between 3 and 4 that there is a huge advantage to being #1.

I can see it both ways.

Dec 5, 2019, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Another interesting article on the Playoff Committee ]

That is the puzzling thing. IF NOONE wants to play Clemson first why are they not the best team? In the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter. Reading this article you get the impression that all the other teams being considered for the playoff are fighting against each other to see who belongs while Clemson is waiting to see who their competition might be. To me it’s like the Tigers are a 10 and the other six or so teams are trying to be #9.

Dec 5, 2019, 10:04 AM

I lost confidence in the commitee. I think the reason Georgia is up where they don't belong is to garner ratings for the sec championship, just like they did for Bama lsu before that game, and tried to do the same with Penn state ohio, but Penn was so not good they blew it the week before.

My take

Dec 5, 2019, 10:11 AM

Right now, I think it can be logically argued that UGA is the 4th best team. Whatever metric you want to use (resume or eye test) I don't find it outlandish that they are there at 4. I'm not sure why folks are so upset at that.

Now then, next week is when things should get interesting and where, I believe, the real controversy begins because there will be a new key component in the equation (that being conference championships). At that point UGA will either have one by beating LSU and will thus cement there spot in the top 4, or they won't. Really, no harm, no foul in my estimation. The real issue will be if LSU, without a conference title, would get the nod over one of the power 5 conference champs also with a single loss. That's where the controversy would be.

UGA won't get in with a loss. They will either move up into the top 3 or out of the top 4 entirely, so I see no reason to gripe about their current position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2019, 10:12 AM

I agree with filco on this. It's all about the TV ratings.
Follow the money.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,566
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic