Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another "Waxing the Nostalgia Wagon" poast for those who
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Another "Waxing the Nostalgia Wagon" poast for those who

Jul 2, 2020, 9:11 AM

grew up in or near the Charleston area. Others please help add to this list, but I remember specifically two nightclubs that advertised endlessly on old WTMA AM radio out of Charleston in my youth.

THe WINDJAMMER, on the Isle of Palms

The Flying Dutchman in North Charleston

I never made the Windjammer, but I do (vaguely) remember going into the Dutchman one time. Not sure why the memory is so vague. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Wammer!***

Jul 2, 2020, 9:28 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Wammer!***

Jul 2, 2020, 9:53 AM

The Flying Dutchman was big and loud. It was like a convention hall with music and beer. I went there during my college days.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is actually a Facebook page out there for those who

Jul 2, 2020, 9:56 AM

want to remember The Flying Dutchman. It was low and large, looked like an upside down turtle shell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another "Waxing the Nostalgia Wagon" poast for those who

Jul 2, 2020, 10:17 AM

The Dutchman was, what was happening in North Charleston in those days, it was the party animal night club of SC at that time. I made the trip with friends a few times from Sumter, but that was a long,long time ago!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Went to a place called Big John's in the 70's in downtown

Jul 2, 2020, 10:28 AM

Charleston.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the worst dives I have ever been was a little old

Jul 2, 2020, 10:35 AM

place in the warehouse district of Charleston called The Joker Supper Club.

It was actually a rundown strip club where a lot of "swabbies" from the Charleston Naval Base congregated.

The time I was there, a stripper started actually heckling a drunk sailor in her audience. He took umbrage, and said, "Hey, watch it, I'm NAVY." Without missing a beat, she said "Hell, I'm Navy too. I go down with the best of them." She may have had the confuse, amongst other things.

In my day

Jul 2, 2020, 10:33 AM

The place to be in Charleston was on the Isle of Palms and I think it was called the Seaside. A rockin place in the 60s. Remember it?

Re: In my day

Jul 2, 2020, 10:38 AM

I spent many an hour at Big John's also. Nothing but a hole in the wall but was always filled with students from Baptist College, The Citadel, and the College of Charleston. He actually had great sandwiches but most did not come for that. Big John played pro football if I remember correctly. Someone tried to reopen the place but I think it failed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In my day

Jul 2, 2020, 10:44 AM

Big John was a center for the Redskins I believe. John Csnnady as I recall. Been there many times.

Jul 2, 2020, 10:55 AM

I remember a place called Dino’s (I think) just off of 17 downtown near the Ashley river. It was also close to the round Holiday Inn that had a club at the top called The Red Carpet.

Jul 2, 2020, 12:46 PM

Grew up in Berkeley County , spent many weekend nights trying to prove to the ladies at the Windjammer why I was cooler and obviously better looking than the like minded competition .
The Flying Dutchman was not my speed , but it did attract a lot of people until it's demise .
Windjammer is still going strong , althoigh it looks a lot different than some of you elder statesmen might remember .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Wow, I am amazed that any version of any nightclub / bar

Jul 2, 2020, 6:57 PM

from that long ago is still in existence. Usually, they have relatively short shelf lives. All it takes is a couple of well publicized bad incidents, and the surrounding properties organize a posse and have them shut down.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic