Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Got 9 minutes? If so, this is a great summary...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 443

Got 9 minutes? If so, this is a great summary...

Jan 14, 2021, 7:50 AM

of how we got to where we are now:

https://youtu.be/qt4AFzBRcuI

I'm a big Michael Smerconish fan. I listen to his show via Sirius/XM app to and from work just about every day and try to catch his CNN shown on Saturdays at 9am. He plays it straight and values critical thinking and data over emotion.

The above link is a 9-minute excerpt from his movie "Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Talking" which is a $5 download and available on Amazon Prime Video. Also well worth the $5.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I changed the channel long ago. Over a decade ago really.

Jan 14, 2021, 8:20 AM

Heck, two decades ago maybe. Don't watch any cable news. Don't watch any national news. Only watch international news and local news these days. I do read a variety of news as well though. But even that's pointless. I've tried to tune in lately at times. Want to know about covid on the national news, and it is literally an effort to extrapolate the "news" on covid, from the MSM attacks on Trump on the subject. The riots in at the Capitol is another. Tune in and the only coverage that was newsworthy was the live coverage of it happening. Once it was over, it's a constant Trump bashing, and very little "news".

Even talk radio, I turned it off, mostly, a long time ago. I always liked the more cerebral conservatives. Not Limbaugh or Hannity, but Beck and Levin. But they're off the reservation now as well. Gone are their ideological discussions. It's attacks constantly. So I'm basically out of "media" right now. I'll tune in to keep up with major events. But I am a peruser of it, and definitely not a consumer. If everyone tuned out like I have, the industry would be dead now, or better yet reformed.

But anyway, it is what it is. And despite all he's said, he is only talking about part of the problem. The media is just one part or aspect. The main problem is to much money, power, and control in Washington. Far more than our founding fathers ever envisioned. But the amount they surely feared. We do not survive as a nation, long term, unless there are real and structural changes in Washington. Not political changes, but structural and functional changes. Best start is term limits for Congress. HOWEVER you can make that happen. Careers, litteral careers have been born and perpetuated, using our children's tax dollars to buy today's votes. Dependency has been established using our tax dollars. We have this system of education that praises democracy, and rightfully so. But in that praise, we forget our founding, and we forget history. We totally ignore the inherent weakness and danger democracies have, and why we, as a diverse nation, are severely subjected to those weaknesses and dangers and yet we somehow think we're above them. But we ignore that because of the glorious ideal, without the complete education. Every single large and diverse democracy in the history of history has failed. There's a reason for that. When you know that reason, you can mitigate that danger. We have not mitigated that danger in over a century.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree with most of what you said...it should be noted...

Jan 14, 2021, 8:31 AM

that his "Change the channel" line doesn't mean turn everyone off, he means make sure you're listening/taking-in multiple/diverse sources of information.

If you have two opposite sources of information

Jan 14, 2021, 11:20 AM

and both are full of crap, what good does it do to watch any of it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well there are a lot more than 2. I think there is value...

Jan 14, 2021, 11:28 AM

in listening to the full of crap from time-to-time, if for no other reason than to understand why someone else might think like they do.

Re: I changed the channel long ago. Over a decade ago really.

Jan 14, 2021, 10:22 AM [ in reply to I changed the channel long ago. Over a decade ago really. ]

Tiggity,

I worry that in an ever more complex world, term-limits would lead to mediocracy at best and incompetence at worst - not to mention they are unconstitutional.

It seems to me that the better way to control the problems with out representatives is to get big money out of politics. That is not an easy problem to solve either, but I think that it is the only way to de-power the oligarchy and empower the working class Americans that this government should be serving.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Article V. 35 states is all it takes

Jan 14, 2021, 11:26 AM

Over 70% of Americans approve of term limits on a legislature less than 20% approve of. It would keep them from using our tax dollars to buy votes and dependency. It's the only way this ends without bankruptcy. I'm 44yo and I have yet to see Congress cut spending. In my 44 years I've cut spending a LOT. I audit my spending yearly and find cuts to make.

You will never get "big money" out of politics if 534 people control the spending of 20% of a $21 trillion GDP. Not going to happen. Term limits makes it a period of public service (as intended) and not a career, which is what has happened for decades now.

If our government was a company, and a new CEO came in, heads would roll and spending would be slashed. Actually, if our government was a company, it would have long ago filed for bankruptcy protection against their debt holders.

Anger is addictive.

Jan 14, 2021, 8:51 AM

Which leads to ratings.

Which leads to more anger.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 443
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic