Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well boys, it's already been documented on jounge snap
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 545

Well boys, it's already been documented on jounge snap

Feb 22, 2021, 10:17 AM

might as well put it here too (because MauldinT® can't let a good story go to waste)

Saturday my plan was to take some pressure off of the septic tank. The yard is still soaked. Septic tank can't release the water needed with additional water coming from the house so the system is backing up into the pipes under the house which you can smell through the showers, sinks, etc.

So the plan was to release some of that pressure.

Now, my tank is old. Like henry® old. It's 6 cinderblocks high by about 5 cinder blocks wide. On top are 4 400lb slabs of concrete. No access hole, no rebar to move it. It's a #####.

So instead of removing one entire slab by myself, the plan was to pick up the slab just enough for all of the excess gray water to run into the hole by the tank I dug. I would then use the sump pump to pump out the excess water that ran into the hole into the woods.

All was going great, except the slab would not budge. I used rebar, 2x2's. Everything. Could not get it to budge an inch.

All of a sudden and without any warning, I guess the suction in the tank let go and the entire slab slid a good 6 inches. Off of the block that was holding it up. Sinking it into the tank.

So while I was already ###### I went ahead and pumped out ALL the gray water and got a guy coming today with an excavator or whatever to pick the slab out of the tank and put it back on top.

Brother-in-law came by to get the kids for a sleepover with his girl. He looked at it and said yep you're ######. But it could be worse. I asked him how in the hell it could be worse, his reply, "You could be in the tank too"

So yeah it could have been worse.

I still haven't gotten the smell of raw #### out of my nose.

In the words of aeroreplica, next time I'll just call the man.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

You know, some people say life is short and that you

Feb 22, 2021, 10:24 AM

could get hit by a bus at any moment and that you have to live each day like it's your last. ########. Life is long. You're probably not gonna get hit by a bus. And you're gonna have to live with the choices you make for the next fifty years.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't get hit by the bus if you're the one driving it***

Feb 22, 2021, 10:40 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Given your topography, have you considered a

Feb 22, 2021, 10:39 AM

constructed wetland in place of your drain field?

https://engineering.purdue.edu/~frankenb/NU-prowd/cwetfact.htm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

This is a pretty good idea

Feb 22, 2021, 10:42 AM

Because it doubles as a kids activity during the summer

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And because it’s a good idea,

Feb 22, 2021, 12:07 PM

It’s guaranteed FBCoach did not think of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. Pay up. Some things you just do premium and be done

Feb 22, 2021, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Given your topography, have you considered a ]

with it. Septic tanks are on that list, unless you plan to move anytime soon.

Dig it up, put in a new, bigger one. Dig a huge drain field. Bring in 50 tons of gravel. Make an artificial drain field with lots of gravel. Bury it all back. Spend 2 years paying for it. Never worry again.

Alternate option:

Pay a plumber under the table to route everything other than the terlits to a ditch somewhere, or into a gravel drain field separate from the septic tank field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny... that second suggestion seems familiar

Feb 22, 2021, 1:57 PM

Would you call the county, though?

Call the County !

Feb 22, 2021, 3:31 PM

FBCoachSC® and I live in the same county (don't kink shame.)

The county ain't doing jack.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that is a HORRIBLE idea

Feb 22, 2021, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Given your topography, have you considered a ]

you need dry soils to filter the water as it moves to an aquifer. Wetlands are the exact opposite of what you need. The long term acceptance rate of the soil is basically zero, like what fbcoach has.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If he had any dry soil at all he wouldn’t have a problem

Feb 22, 2021, 3:07 PM

There are a bunch of these in place and working very effectively.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

not in NC lol

Feb 22, 2021, 3:10 PM

I could just imaging trying to convince a health department that this was a good idea

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems there are several

Feb 22, 2021, 3:20 PM

You didn’t read the link I posted- the septic tank is still there, the drain field is what is replaced

https://vernonjames.ces.ncsu.edu/eleventh-annual-on-site/engineered-ecosystems/

https://www.starnewsonline.com/article/NC/20050915/News/605068698/WM

https://efc.web.unc.edu/2016/09/23/constructed-wetlands-wastewater-treatment-walnut-cove-nc/

Isaac Asimov

That's a bit different. These are called lagoons or spray

Feb 22, 2021, 3:53 PM

irrigation. They are systems with multiple treatments. I guess they attach the wetland name to them to make them more desirable, but there is a lot of treatment that does not come from wetlands. These have been around a long time.

Not a lagoon - there are no sprayers - I know what those are

Feb 22, 2021, 4:15 PM

Constructed wetlands are gravity fed no moving parts. I’ve seen them in person. One was a part of a project I worked on where we daylighted a stream and that eliminated the space for the drain field, another fed a stream we monitored for compliance. They are specifically designed for areas with very shallow water tables or impermeable soils.

Like I said, the septic tank is still there doing the initial treatment you’re just replacing the underground drain field with an above ground solution. Which is what is FB’s issue.

Isaac Asimov

that makes sense. Maybe that would be a solution for him***

Feb 22, 2021, 5:33 PM

Your first mistake was assuming SC has a health department***

Feb 22, 2021, 3:25 PM [ in reply to not in NC lol ]

Uhhh, they do. Where do you think I got a sack full of

Feb 22, 2021, 3:39 PM

free condoms in high school?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy to confuse Popeyes and government agencies.***

Feb 22, 2021, 3:48 PM

Was Popeye's even around in the 90s? Not in my town, for

Feb 22, 2021, 3:54 PM

sure. We just got one last year.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quick googling says

Feb 22, 2021, 5:06 PM

Popeyes began franchising in 1976 after a few failed attempts as other brands.

Yeah.

Feb 22, 2021, 5:19 PM

Olive Oyl's and Bluto's never worked out for them. Wimpy's would have, but people just wanted to get burgers today but pay for them next Tuesday.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We call it the Office of Bribes and Kickbacks down here***

Feb 22, 2021, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Your first mistake was assuming SC has a health department*** ]

Isaac Asimov

Re: Well boys, it's already been documented on jounge snap

Feb 22, 2021, 12:19 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I must say, I'll take paying a water bill every month

Feb 22, 2021, 1:07 PM

over having to deal with that ####.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After 25+ years, Mom and Dad had to redo their drain fields

Feb 22, 2021, 1:56 PM

so 25 years with a $100/mo water bill is about $30k and I am pretty sure the initial installation and the rework did not cost $30k together.

It was a REAL pain in the rear when they had problems though. I will HOPEFULLY sell my house before that ever happens. Been here 6 years so I think I have time, but this terrible rain and the water sitting in my yard gives me concern.

Yep.

Feb 22, 2021, 2:14 PM

I really need for America to embrace the concept of global drying right now.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many times do you have to get the tank pumped out?

Feb 22, 2021, 4:51 PM [ in reply to After 25+ years, Mom and Dad had to redo their drain fields ]

Once very 4-6 years? How much does that cost?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've done it once in 10 years, and probably didn't need to

Feb 22, 2021, 5:08 PM

Grand total, $125.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never had a house with a septic tank.

Feb 22, 2021, 5:35 PM

This one does, but I don't own it. If it were mine, I'd connect it to city sewer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$250 and it was once in the 25 years, about 2 years ago

Feb 23, 2021, 7:45 AM [ in reply to How many times do you have to get the tank pumped out? ]

when they started having problems. Biggest problem was tree roots growing into it though.

btw, spetic tanks do not have gray water***

Feb 22, 2021, 2:52 PM

Exactly what he's going for

Feb 22, 2021, 2:57 PM

His neighbor now has all of his gray water, duh.

I think he is trying to siphon off the liquids and let

Feb 22, 2021, 3:13 PM [ in reply to btw, spetic tanks do not have gray water*** ]

the solids settle out, which is 100% illegal and not sanitary at all.

Re: I think he is trying to siphon off the liquids and let

Feb 22, 2021, 3:13 PM

And goes against solids settling physics

Pretty sure FBCoach knows that

Feb 22, 2021, 3:30 PM [ in reply to I think he is trying to siphon off the liquids and let ]

because he did that and threw lye on it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, some do, and some are required to depending on local

Feb 22, 2021, 3:43 PM [ in reply to btw, spetic tanks do not have gray water*** ]

codes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

my tank drains just fine***

Feb 22, 2021, 3:13 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's because your hemorrhoid's only let you poop

Feb 23, 2021, 9:04 AM

once a day.

Go eat your prunes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Replies: 38
| visibility 545
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic