Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Am I the only one that believes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Am I the only one that believes

Mar 13, 2018, 11:12 PM

That automatic bids should be awarded to regular season champs over conference tournament champs. Doesn't make sense that a team can have a great season over 30 games then another team can get lucky/hot at the end of the season, win a couple games and be in the tournament while a team with 25 wins is in the NIT. Tournament game should be treated like any other game. If you go through and knock off a couple higher ranked teams, build your resume and earn an at large bid, then great, but it shouldn't erase what another team has did for an entire season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Am I the only one that believes

Mar 14, 2018, 12:00 AM

Gotta win when it matters if you are a mid major.

Mar 14, 2018, 12:01 AM

I actually agree 100% with you. It should be based off the whole body of work, not 4 days

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

It’s awarded to the Conference Champ. It just so happens

Mar 14, 2018, 12:28 AM

that every conference defines their champion as the winner of the tournament. That makes sense...otherwise why have a tournament?

The question is, why do all these small conferences have tournaments? That can’t make money, can they? All they do is diminish the regular season and potentially screw over a good team. It’s not a big deal for the ACC because they already get so many teams in.

FYI, the Ivy League used to not have a tournament and their regular season champ was the auto bid (ie, was the conference champ). That changes last season, I believe.

null

Re: It’s awarded to the Conference Champ. It just so happens

Mar 14, 2018, 2:30 AM

Tournament champions shouldn't be the only deciding factor, a teams body of works should be of a must consideration also!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the contradiction, then....

Mar 14, 2018, 5:45 AM

The selection committee preaches 'body of work' for the first time ever, which gets the OU's of the world into a tournament that, for example, Clemson missed out on under OP when they started 17-0 (?) and faded down the stretch.

Mid-majors need to re-think their tourneys because they cannibalize their opportunities. I'm not sue if any of the tourneys have value any more...even the ACC seldom sells out as it did 'back in the day'. Heck, I'd rather championship week be the first round of expanded tournament games. I'd prefer to see the ND's of the world be in the tournament with a Bonzie over an OU or ASU that hasn't found their way out of a wet paper bag in months. Their 'body of work' is crap, frankly. That's me, though...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 14, 2018, 7:21 AM

At every level of sports u have a tournament at the end to decide the champion. Why change now. Love conf tournaments.

Mar 14, 2018, 7:21 AM

At every level of sports u have a tournament at the end to decide the champion. Why change now. Love conf tournaments.

No, you're not.***

Mar 14, 2018, 8:21 AM

Yes

Mar 14, 2018, 9:32 AM

I like the idea that any team can win their conference tournament and get in. Makes for more excitement. Otherwise, why even have a conference tournament?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree

Mar 14, 2018, 11:50 AM

Some teams gel or get hot late in the season while others were affected by injury. Whoever wins at the end of the year should get some consideration. Let the conferences decide - if regular season champs or in their tourney.

The 1983 Wolfpack team is a classic example. They had a solid team but finished 23-7 after winning the ACC tourney. However, Derek Whittenburg was out for three weeks during the season due to a hurt foot. They only lost three games during the year with him in the line-up. Are you saying that a team like that has no business getting a NCAA bid?

Every team and every year is different. Let the conferences decide who represents them.

Re: I disagree

Mar 14, 2018, 1:57 PM

A team like that from a major conference would most likely still be in the field though. I don't think this is an issue in the major conferences outside of some extreme circumstance, like say if Pitt would have somehow won the ACC tournament this season after going just 8-22 in the regular season.

I do think it's a bigger issue in the smaller conferences. A team could go 15-1 in conference, and make it to the tournament championship game, and lose in double overtime to a team that went 8-8 in conference, and the 8-8 team gets the NCAA bid, even if the 15-1 team had beaten them twice in the regular season. As said above, that's the decision the conferences make, but it does stink IMO.

As a fan though, it's fun to watch so I'm not losing sleep over it. As a fan of a team in a major conference, it's not ever going to impact us. It's not like a team could finish 1st in the ACC during the regular season and get left out of the NCAA field.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic