Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you love sport, you'll like the Huddersfield Town story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,845

If you love sport, you'll like the Huddersfield Town story

May 29, 2017, 7:58 PM

won the penalty shootout vs Reading today to gain promotion to the English Premier League for the first time ever and 1st time into the top flight since 1972 (The EPL started in 1992).

They were in the 4th division of English soccer as recently as 2004. 3 promotions in just 12 years.

This promotion will bring them a massive financial windfall. As much as 170 million British pounds.

https://twitter.com/ArsenalTerjex/status/869243754972053507

^ go to 1:30 on this video for the magic to start

https://twitter.com/FromTStands/status/869245765755039744

^ view from the crowd

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

T I P , love ya bruddah

May 29, 2017, 8:14 PM

...but you know ain't nobody know nothin' about hands-free foosball .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

that is the great part about relegation and promotion...

May 29, 2017, 8:33 PM

...is that sometimes you see teams from tiny markets get on a run and do this.

I remember a few years ago Blackpool actually made it up to the top flight of English soccer, competing against traditional giants Manchester United, Chelsea, and Arsenal with players who were all capped at around $200K.

For those who don't know, Blackpool is the Myrtle Beach of England. Small coastal resort town, not many natives. You would not expect, say, a semi-pro baseball team from Myrtle Beach to find itself playing the New York Yankees but that's exactly what can happen with promotion/relegation in effect.

Personally I've always thought it'd be the coolest thing in the world to do that with college sports, especially football. Just organize into four regions and the top squad from each are your playoff reps. The bottom three drop out - or better yet, play the top three from the next flight up to see who stays up or goes down.

Instead we get a boatload of meaningless bowl games.

yes for sure

May 29, 2017, 8:50 PM

I remember Blackpool. Unfortunately for them they have since fallen off the face of the Earth and are ow in the 4th division I believe. But there have been other success stories recently like Welsh team Swansea City and Bournemouth who are both now solid Premier League teams. You also have examples of big teams falling down, such as Blackburn who won the Premier League in the late 90s just recently got relegated down to the 3rd division.

In college football it would be awesome to see this happen. Teams from places like Fargo North Dakota like NDSU could capitalize on their winning by moving up to the big time and stagnant big programs like Purdue or Virginia could be penalized with relegation.

Re: yes for sure

May 29, 2017, 9:24 PM

I think Blackpool just won promotion back to League One. I love naming schemes these days. When you're third division is named "One..."

That's why I just say 4th, 3rd division of whatever

May 29, 2017, 9:57 PM

To people unaware of the pyramid. To avoid confusion

Re: that is the great part about relegation and promotion...

May 29, 2017, 9:56 PM [ in reply to that is the great part about relegation and promotion... ]

It is nice because everyone has something to play for each year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: If you love sport, you'll like the Huddersfield Town story

May 29, 2017, 9:22 PM

I did watch the latter part of this game today. It has to feel really good for the lifelong fans like Patrick Stewart. I imagine I will feel the same way when the Blues win the Stanley Cup.

ACC Football needs this, as does Nascar***

May 29, 2017, 11:22 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always liked relegation as a concept...

May 30, 2017, 11:08 AM

and look forward to the day when the coots get relegated to the SoCon...

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,845
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic