Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alright y'all do the good vibes thing. Work related.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Alright y'all do the good vibes thing. Work related.

Feb 16, 2021, 11:46 AM

Found out last week that the big customer is pulling most all of their business. Bosses say they have stuff for us and I'm on person keeping business units, but it is time to go. As kind of a goof I applied for something on Linkedin last night. Recruiter called back today. When applying I thought I'd maybe have to be prepared to take a slight pay cut. This gig would be a $9.5k raise. I've gone from being nonchalant about it to really wanting the gig.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What to you have to lose? A $9.5K raise?

Feb 16, 2021, 11:48 AM

Pro Tip: Always keep an iron in the fire...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

^^ This ^^ But...

Feb 16, 2021, 11:56 AM

I will say the grass ain't always greener for the increase. I'd make sure I got a good job description so you'll know what you'll be doing for that extra dough.

You might be working for a latino girl taking out kidneys and such in Belton from unsuspecting crippled middle aged dudes...... just sayin.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good luck.

Feb 16, 2021, 11:49 AM

Hope it works out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Opportunity knocks. Good luck!***

Feb 16, 2021, 11:50 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best of luck aero***

Feb 16, 2021, 11:51 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice, it helps your current boss too.

Feb 16, 2021, 11:52 AM

It's hard when you have to let people go that you don't want to. It's harder to keep them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep us posted. Will be remembering this.***

Feb 16, 2021, 12:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WIfe just resigned yesterday

Feb 16, 2021, 12:18 PM

Her profession though....ugh. Anyway, she does a "job", and it's a unique and in demand job, however, it's all based on gubmint contracts. As such, she works for some really big companies, subs with others, but every 5 years or go the gubmint shakes things up and it's musical chairs with the people who do the jobs. So the company with the contract is rumored to not win the rebid. Company x over here is hiring people left and right. Big parent company sells off the division knowing no more contracts are coming. Everyone bails to the new company who has all of the people jumping on board to win the next bid. Rinse and repeat about every 5 years. She's doing the same job and has been for almost 20 years, but the jobs jump from company to company so she can't really settle anywhere too long. Sucks, but I guess that's the bidness.

But good luck with the new job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She sounds like a defensive backs coach.***

Feb 16, 2021, 12:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunno. She does a job very specific to medicare/aid data

Feb 16, 2021, 1:28 PM

As such, the gubmint contracts with private companies to do the work for certain data sets for a set number of years. These are huge contracts, so it's huge companies that bid on them and that can do what they need. However, there are no companies who do just this on a smaller scale exclusively. As such, huge companies bid on and win the contracts. Then they hire the people (wife) and they do the work. But the parent company is always huge, and they never commit to a division of the company for this specific task because it's based on contracts, that change. As such, they are reticent to pour the complete resources into a division to do this work when it can be temporary. And when it comes to rebidding, if they lose, they just sell off the division to a venture capital firm, or something, and cut any losses from losing the contract.

And the people who actually DO the work, they're just pawns. They follow the contracts, and the data, and it's steady and secure work for them, but it's not steady employment with any one company. Wife was actually lucky. She worked for 2 companies before landing in a third. It lost contracts, and was sold to a venture capital outfit. BUT, they were purchased by another big company when they won a contract, so she's been with the same company, under 3 names, now for 10 years. But the music started playing again a few months ago and the musical chairs has begun. She interviewed at two companies, and went with the one with the people she's known the longest, who are also hopping around from company to company chasing contracts. That is the one, she feels, has the best chance of winning the new contract, and rebidding and winning it again. So 5 years we will revisit the whole thing when the music starts playing again. But she knows who knows what they're doing, and as such, she knows wherever they land and concentrate, so too will the contracts.

And she HATES having to change companies because the whole time you're employed in megacorp. they're all ra ra culture this, benefits that, you're secure here, things are great, blah blah. And if you only listen to your boss, or the VP's, or leadership, you will absolutely be left hanging because when the feces hits the fan, you won't know until the last minute. By then the cards are already in place for whoever will win the next contract and you're high and dry. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Yeah....like an assistant college football coach. Listen to the head coach and the BOT and President and it's ra ra, extend the contract, everything is fine. This place is great. No one is leaving. Then bewm, head coach is fired, everyone leaves. Dabo's success is in preventing that from happening. SUPER credit to him as a coach, beyond the football field. Wife's issue is they close the football program, or go to intramural football when the coach leaves. Or you stay and the new coach has a whole new culture, and it's a whole new company and your job is changed, or you're fired.

Wife's loyalty is to the job. As such, to the gubmint awarding the contracts. If you stay at a company for loyalty to the company, you will either be let go, or end up doing something totally different in the company if they lose a contract but can find some use for you still, and not what you love doing and were hired to do to begin with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds heavenly. I assume those moves do not require

Feb 16, 2021, 2:20 PM

physical relocation. And how many more of these moves will she have to manage?

I would imagine that one positive of this is that you have seen you need more independence - financial, emotional, etc - than the companies lead people to think. Perhaps you are better set up than many people are.

$9.5k?

Feb 16, 2021, 12:30 PM

Man, that's like an extra month of concerts.

If that kind of thing existed in society today, I mean.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YAS QUEEN YOU GOT DIS***

Feb 16, 2021, 1:30 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must suck to know your job isn't needed***

Feb 16, 2021, 1:35 PM

I like your funny words magic man

meh***

Feb 16, 2021, 3:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean like teaching PE and Drivers Ed through Zoom?***

Feb 16, 2021, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Must suck to know your job isn't needed*** ]

I hope you achieve your dreams and get the happiness you

Feb 16, 2021, 3:07 PM

seek, aero. You're a good man.

Re: Alright y'all do the good vibes thing. Work related.

Feb 18, 2021, 12:33 PM

Check the benefits.

My last $10k raise switching job got eaten up by crappy benefits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic