Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All of you Fire Brad folks answer some questions for me? First where is the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

All of you Fire Brad folks answer some questions for me? First where is the

Mar 11, 2017, 5:25 PM

$3.5 million dollar buyout coming from? Second who are we going to hire? And last question where do we get the money to pay the new coach?

If the athletic Dept lost $1 million the year after going all they way to the Natty and losing to Bama in 2015/16 season where is all this money to replace BB and hiring a new coach coming from? By Hiring a new HBB Coach are we guaranteed much better results?? What if it's more of the same.

Unless one of you want to write a 3.5 million dollar check, I think he will be here at least another year or two. If he stays I hope he succeeds.

I want to see our basketball program compete at a much higher level but looking back at our basketball programs past history is it just coaching or do we have other areas that we need to fix?? How do we get kids interested in playing for Clemson. Idk know what the answers are but I do know that letting Brad B go right now would be very expensive. Can Clemson afford to make that move at this time? If he stays as loyal Tigers we owe him our support as long as he is the HC!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's for DRad to worry about.

Mar 11, 2017, 5:27 PM

He's the one that gave Brownell that ridiculous contract.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: That's for DRad to worry about.

Mar 11, 2017, 5:32 PM

Agreed! Drad made that huge buyout a problem. Let's see what next year brings. You can't let this program hit rock bottom either no matter what the buyout is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was it DRAD or Terry Don that gave him the contract***

Mar 11, 2017, 6:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TD hired him. DRad gave him the current contract.***

Mar 11, 2017, 6:44 PM

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re:All of you Fire Brad folks answer some questions for me?

Mar 11, 2017, 5:30 PM

You're right there is no cost to us basically having almost no one buy hoops tickets for games next year. which is almost what will happen if he stays.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:All of you Fire Brad folks answer some questions for me?

Mar 11, 2017, 5:51 PM

I guarantee that fans will be at the North Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame, Louisville, and FSU games next year at home. All of them prob. Be sold out

Next year bring the same as this

Mar 11, 2017, 6:06 PM

We will lose close games being out coached players that cannot catch the ball in too long best players on the bench too long . Just like Jack Leggett . See what happened when that change was made.I will never understand whyhe got that kind of contract. Not like other schools wanted him

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have the money for all types of facility investments.

Mar 11, 2017, 6:09 PM

I'm sure we can find 3 million dollars somewhere.

Re: We have the money for all types of facility investments.

Mar 11, 2017, 6:14 PM

Me too! Basketball is not important to this administration.

Don't ask us, ask DRad.***

Mar 11, 2017, 6:11 PM

Re: All of you Fire Brad folks answer some questions for me? First where is the

Mar 11, 2017, 6:24 PM

Here are questions for you: Did it take Buzz Williams, or Danny Manning, or Tony Bennett 7 years to get to the NCAA? If we haven't been to the NCAA for the last 6-7 years, what makes you think we'll get there next year and regularly each year after that. I like Brownell, but he's had enough time and hasn't delivered. Is Va Tech or Wake much different than Clemson in terms of resources? Don't put off the inevitable. Time to move ahead.

Mar 11, 2017, 6:26 PM

I think many have said CBB SHOULD be fired, but financially it is hard to justify. Of course, DRad looks like an idiot for the huge problem HE created. Anyway, we're all tired of preaching to deaf ears and CBB will be here 1-2 more years. 'nuff said IMO.

Well keeping Brownell means you know we are below avg

Mar 11, 2017, 6:26 PM

and won't make the tournament so I'm fine with taking a gamble on a new coach. Of course you always want someone to take the program to the next level and you are never guaranteed you'll get that, but if the alternative is CBB then it's worth a shot b/c you get nothing if you keep him!

As for the money part, that is the AD's responsibility to worry about, not the fans!

Other than fanning flames and stirring the pot

Mar 11, 2017, 6:40 PM

you're wasting your time. Those of us with knowledge and sense know that BB isn't going anywhere right now. DRad can't do it after mortgaging the farm to sign him on for six years.

So the only answer is let his contract expire

Mar 11, 2017, 6:47 PM

and leave a Grand Canyon sized hole for the new coach apparently. Fire him next year or the following year and we save a grand total of half a million as his buyout only drops to 3 million to end his contract.

Way to take advantage of those 60+ million in facility improvements.

The buyout can be spread out, it does not need to be paid lump sum. It's what we did with Bowden

wow.. you right... we better

Mar 11, 2017, 7:40 PM

hurry up and sign him to a cheap extension while we can, cuz we have no ability to raise $$ for this sort of thing ;)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2017, 3:07 AM

No body really answered any of my questions about the money. Are you will to possibly take funds from football to cover the cost of paying BB. We have some expensive projects going on.

You can lay this problem at DRad's feet but I still don't know where we get the money. Do we raise football ticket prices, cut another sport, where do we get $3.5 plus million dollars ?

I want to see Basketball improve but we have a coach with a very large buyout and I don't see a way out at least for the next 3 or 4 years unless we receive a large Donation earmarked for basketball.

I don't want emotional answers I want someone to give me some legit answers as to how we get out of Brad's contract.

The only reason we are going to come out in the black this year is because the ACC is giving Clemson a larger share from the OSU and Bama games. We don't make the kind of money Texas, Michigan and OSU make from athletics and tuition is already over 25K a year.

All I have ask is 3 simple questions can anyone give me a well thought out non emotional response please.

You spread the buyout out over several years

Mar 12, 2017, 10:24 AM

Just like we did with Bowden. Simple.

As for paying a new coach. Brownell is scheduled to make 1.8 next year. We can get a hot mid major guy for a little over 2 million, which would basically double there current salary.

Your solution is a death nail for the program. Brad can't recruit with less than 4 years on his contract. So if you just let the clock run out you are leaving a situation that is a black hole for a new guy in a few years. You have wasted all the opportunity of the new facilities.

It's not emotional, it's business. Unless Brad orchestrates a remarkable turnaround, you cut your losses now. It's already going to be a competitive market with schools like State, LSU, Missouri and Illinois open. You wait, you get buried

Mar 12, 2017, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: All of you Fire Brad folks answer some questions for me? First where is the ]

How can Clemson not afford to pay the buyout? I don't know how Clemson's finances work, you seem to know more about that. Can you explain how they can spend well over $100 million on athletic facilities the last two years and can't afford $3.5 million on a coach?

'Who are we going to hire?' How is a fan supposed to know who is available and interested, especially since the job isn't even open? We aren't going to get a Pitino or Calipari, but there are lots of coaches that would be interested and do a better job than Brownell. And there are lots that would do worse. Why would you think we can't get a better coach when 4 of our last 5 coaches have had more success than Brownell? When Purnell left suddenly, did you throw up your arms in frustration and want to cancel the basketball program because we can't get another coach? No matter when or how Brownell leaves, you will have the 'who are we going to hire' question. That question is not a reason to keep him.

for those complaining about our loss to Duke

Mar 12, 2017, 7:39 AM

Everyone "lost" to Duke in the ACC Tourney. Clemson is more than W&Ls. We have a culture, brand, family. We are not an erratic "NC State" that does not know who they are and makes random decisions. The wins will come, but let's support our culture.

Ultimately, no coach is about more than W's and L's

Mar 12, 2017, 10:27 AM

that the bottom line in coaching

The buy out is not our concern

Mar 12, 2017, 11:37 AM

If they can find the money to renovate LittleJohn, they can find the money to pay him off.

Also, my first calls are to Greg Marshall and Jeff Caple.

After that I call Will Wade.

We play on the biggest stage in college basketball, this is an attractive job. Whether you pessimists beleive it or not.

My take ...

Mar 12, 2017, 11:50 AM

Question 1: Budget prioritizations and opportunity cost. Do we want Clemson basketball to have any value or relevance? Currently it does not.

Question 2: We hire a top assistant from a college we admire who is routinely in the top 10. Or we hire a Dave Popovich asst

You or anyone can "hope" Brownell succeeds. Financially he has. He will be a millionaire for life thanks to Clemson even with an average broker. Professionally he has been a disappointment based on NCAA appearances vs. his successor.As Brownell's net worth has increased, the ability and results of the team have decreased.

Brownell has been given a great opportunity. It is over. He can hang around another year or two if mediocrity is DRad's basketball standard. No problem. Clemson alums and fans simultaneously pull for Brownell's teams and are bored by everything about the style of play. I have made the drive from Savannah to watch home games for thirty years. Not this year. It is over.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic