Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All of us arm chair qb's who post on this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

All of us arm chair qb's who post on this

Sep 1, 2018, 7:43 PM

Board who in your opinion was the better qb today?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All of us arm chair qb's who post on this

Sep 1, 2018, 7:50 PM

TL hands down

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They will both play all year long

Sep 1, 2018, 8:36 PM

so why all the fuss? Trevor looked excellent. He also made some rookie mistakes. KB's deep ball was very good today.

Next week we'll get a better read. I honestly expect Dabo to lean in the defense a lot next week, but who knows for sure

Re: They will both play all year long

Sep 1, 2018, 9:11 PM

Kelly's deep ball was inconsistent. Missed on some, some seemed to stay in the air way too long, then he hit great on some. Same with the short, and everyone saw that. Still looks like he did last year (and yes, he could hit deep balls vs FCS teams last year just like that). Don't oversell him, just put it out there as it is. I'm sure Dabo won't be overselling it.

Trevor only really made that one rookie mistake.... The one he got sacked on. The rest were just throws needing a tad more touch on it, but even the announcers said they were good throws, just could have stood to have a little more air on it to sit it in the right spot. Happens when you have a cannon arm. That'll change with more experience and learning. Question is, in Kelly's 4th year (2nd full), can his inconsistency change?

Kelly was 2-3 on deep balls

Sep 1, 2018, 9:50 PM

and like I said, they are both going to play. What's the oversell? I think next week we get a better read. If Kelly starts, then Trevor takes over ala Deshaun at FSU, we'll know how the coaches feel. But this isn't Stoudt/Watson. Kelly is far more proven and tested than Cole ever was. I think they both play every game personally

Re: Kelly was 2-3 on deep balls

Sep 1, 2018, 10:14 PM

The oversell is it was Furman. Kelly looked good against Citadel and Kent State last year too, so did his deep ball. Then it slowly regressed as the season went on or he faced tougher competition. It looked no different from KB vs FCS 2017. It wasn't any better. Why? Because he didn't do bad vs FCS in 2017 to begin with.

He still is throwing more passes 10 yards or less than he is taking shots at that mid range 15-20 or deep ball 20 yards or more... And was still inconsistent. Hit some great ones, throws some over heads, throws some at ankles. Very inconsistent as it was last year.

It was Furman that Trevor was playing as well

Sep 1, 2018, 10:53 PM

As I've stated now three times, we get a better read on how the coaches feel next week. And regardless, they both play every game, barring injury

Re: It was Furman that Trevor was playing as well

Sep 1, 2018, 11:22 PM

Obviously I understand that if I'm saying it's an FCS team. Not arguing you, been saying the same thing in other topics as you are... Just saying don't act like Kelly had any better of a game today than he did vs any FCS team he played last year just because he was "2 of 3".

He ended this one with a 149.8 RAT, Kent State which had good deep passes as well start of 2017 and had people thinking his deep ball was better was 168.7, Citadel was 210.1. That actually says his passing regressed from both of those games of last year (one FCS, other lowest tier FBS) but gving benefit of doubt since he didn't switch series last year.

You know game to game comparisons

Sep 1, 2018, 11:48 PM

aren't good indicators. Look, Trevor is more talented. He likely emerges just like Deshaun did at some point. But Kelly isn't Stoudt. He's a team captain, leader, and still a good QB. He's been in big games and won. He knows the system better right now. It would not surprise me if Kelly started every game. Lawrence is by far the more natural passer. But they can ease him in to big spots. Let him learn tbe system fully. He'll get his chances this Saturday. So will Kelly.

Face it. The two best teams in college football with the two best coaches more than likely play 2 quarterbacks all year long

Sep 1, 2018, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: All of us arm chair qb's who post on this ]

I just wanted some opinions but to me it was obvious that Lawrence was the better of the 2

Sep 1, 2018, 7:50 PM

Passing, Trevor. Rushing, Kelly. Fairly even, with the TD edge going to Trevor.

Yeah I was surprised the stats were that close

Sep 1, 2018, 9:35 PM

Re: Yeah I was surprised the stats were that close

Sep 1, 2018, 11:30 PM

The total yards and completions were close. The yards per attempt and QB rating though weren't. Trevor edged in both easily.

And yep, if the defense is in to stop the QB run game, it does typically stop the RB game too... Still more bodies in closer, closing the holes faster.

The offense just looked crisper with TL out there.

Sep 1, 2018, 7:57 PM

He's not real strong on the option though.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I began to question whether or not the line blocked for KB.

Sep 1, 2018, 8:17 PM

TL's long ball was respected so our running game looked much better, imo, when he was behind center.

Furman seemed to pack it in when KB was back there. Imo, that isn't going to work against good defenses. KB also spends too much time looking at his prime receiver which cripples his passing game. Nothing much has changed since last season. He' a lot like Tajh except he can't push guys over when he runs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes Furman def packed it in against KB

Sep 1, 2018, 9:22 PM

Re: Yes Furman def packed it in against KB

Sep 1, 2018, 9:30 PM

He exploited Citadel the same way. In the end, he looked like Kelly vs FCS in 2017. He didn't look better. In fact, his quarterback rating was lower than it was vs Citadel last year, which looked more like what Trevor's did in this game (Trevor had a 202 vs Furman, KB vs Citadel 2017 was 210 or so, the only one he had over a 200).

I was not thrilled at the play of either one but Brice

Sep 1, 2018, 8:03 PM

went 3 of 4. But I have been watching Clemson football games for over 50 years and as many times as I have seen the Tigers play Furman I have never seen a game where the Tigers looked exceptionally sharp. Usually it is because of either being early in the season and the coaches wanting to see how the team looks without the first string playing the entire game. I know it was a 48-7 win but the spread was 50 so they didn't cover (Anyone crazy enough to give 50 points on a Clemson game deserves to lose.) Dabo is not going to intentionally run the score up but this game did give him the opportunity to play a lot of players and see how they could do in a game and get them some experience. Still I am staying out of the KB/TL fight. Dabo gets paid the big bucks to make those comparisons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was not thrilled at the play of either one but Brice

Sep 1, 2018, 9:26 PM

What spread you looking at the card had 41. Still didn’t cover lol

Sep 1, 2018, 9:34 PM

Seems several are reading different. Oddshark had it showing 48.5-49, saw another site with the betting the spreads preview saying 43.5. Another guy earlier said the 50 you are saying.

Sep 1, 2018, 9:29 PM [ in reply to I was not thrilled at the play of either one but Brice ]

My most disappointing take away from Kelly was early on in the first or second drive on a 3rd and 4 and he completely missed a wide open receiver on a crossing route with no pressure in his face.

Sep 1, 2018, 9:42 PM

Oh, you mean like we've been discussing he did in the spring game, and first fall practice? Wonder if people will start listening to the concerns now.... Now that he didn't "blow them out for Trevor to play mop up duty". Been trying to tell everyone and keep getting blasted for it.

But we aren’t allowed to have an opinion.

Sep 1, 2018, 10:10 PM

Only the coaches are.

Didn’t you get the memo? By posting here, we are trying to tell the coaches what to do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Trevor***

Sep 1, 2018, 9:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 1, 2018, 10:09 PM

Well, for me, I don't hold my breath when TL throws the deep ball. But TL needs to learn to make those reads really quick or he will look like a freshman. KB still has a slight edge due to his experience, but TL has the biggest upside. It depends on how fast he can learn enough.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic