Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Alabama Scouting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

Alabama Scouting

Jan 3, 2017, 10:09 PM

It is officially that time gents. This is the last one of the season, and once again I was within 7 points of our point total (I said 38, we scored 31 and took a knee at the end of the game)(I did say 38-26, but if OSU hit some of those plays and the FGs it would have likely been 31-13 at best). Just a quick note, this report is even longer than the OSU one. Lots of good details and some interesting stats to pass along as well (the 2 tidbit posts I made I put links to at the bottom of this post as well). Without further ado, let's get to it (last note: Turnovers are an obvious factor, but remember, I'm trying to bring out some info that you may not otherwise hear on the main broadcast Monday night)

Keys

Offense

1) 3.5 yards a rush

-Bama is averaging giving up only 2 yards a rush on the entire season. Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous stat. The 2 teams that had 100 yards or more rushing on them were Ole Miss (101) and Texas A&M (114). Both teams averaged 3 yards a carry. Both teams were the only ones to actually lead Bama in the 2nd half (at any point) on the season. Ole Miss was the only one who were able to break right through their D-line and score from 10+ yards out. Why? Balance. Maybe not in an even split for yardage, but in terms of play calls (30 Rushes, 40 passing attempts) it was close. Why the Ole Miss Reference? Because we know Swag’s style of QB play, and we all know Deshaun is better, yet Swag was very very effective against the Bama defense. His mobility extended plays and he was able to pick up yards himself. We don’t need to average 5 yards a carry or more (it’d be nice but it’s not a must), but 3.5 yards per rush is what we need to keep balanced.

2) Isolate Mike Williams on #26 Humphrey (get #26 in one on one against Williams) and attack that matchup every time

-Humphreys was exposed against the Ole Miss offense time and time again against Ingram (similar in size to Williams). Ingram won more of the battles than he lost, and he’s not the same complete receiver that Williams is. This is a key in the game. Can we get Williams isolated one on one with any of their corners, but especially #26? No defense has stopped him all season, and that will include Bama. That will also serve in other areas, forcing the defense to move a safety to help cover Williams. What does that mean? One on One coverage for our other receivers, including Mr. White Lightning himself who torched their best corner for two TDs last year. Cain also didn’t play last year, don’t be surprised if our receivers have a big day. It’ll force Bama to lighten the box against the run game and that’s when we got them.

3) Screens, Jet Sweeps, and RPOs to the edges

-One area Bama has consistently been attacked in from opponents and have struggled with (at times) are the edges and flats. These plays are essentially an extension of the run game, and calling these early (if the secondary is playing off coverage and the box is stacked to stop the run) can help setup our offense for the shots we want to take down the field.

Defense

1) Get a push in the middle of the line (everyone knows with Kiffin gone they will get back to running the ball even more, it’s no secret)

-Alabama averages 246 yards a game rushing, yet gives up 7.21 TFLs per game (that’s 108th in the country) and has given up 25 sacks on the season (that’s 40th in the country). Why? Pass blocking. They are a much better run blocking than pass blocking team. Who tends to be the guilty parties giving up pressure? LT Robinson? Not consistently but it does happen. What about the center and R/LGs? At times, yes as well. RT #73? Absolutely. I see a weakness here. This is also where Ferrell tends to line up as well (and changes sides with Wilkins and Bryant throughout the game). In order to help the DEs get around the edge, the DT’s need to get a push. Can they do it? Absolutely, the Bama offensive line has been a weakness in pass protection that has caused problems in their offensive stats. Honestly, watching the film screams Pagano’s wheelhouse to me. He’s going to have a monster game. Mark it down.

2) Break Tendencies in the Calls

-Do you know the main reason why from a schematic POV we were so successful against OSU? It wasn’t just the execution by the players, it was the breaking of tendencies in the game plan. Typically this means Coach V dialing up blitzes from various spots on the field. If you watch the tape, you will see some interesting zone defensive calls we haven’t called a bunch this year (ex. Dropping the DEs into coverage on a few plays really threw off the timing of the passes into the flats). I fully expect to see Bama adjust at the LOS and expect more blitzes than zones. Coach V, the weakness of the entire Bama offense is the passing game. Show pressure, drop into coverage, and make Hurts beat you with his arm. Can it happen at times? Yes, will it the entire game? Haha, not a chance (sounds familiar to last week doesn’t it?)

3) Tackling at the LB and Secondary levels

-There will be some plays Bama will make on offense. The important thing here is yards after contact (run or pass) needs to be minimal this game. Why? The majority of Bama’s yards on offense come from after contact, and it’s not even close. The intensity will be amped up for this game, but I know we will be ready.

4) Secondary: EYE DISCIPLINE

-You know how most of Bama’s passes down the field end up completed? Lack of eye discipline from the secondary, allowing the receivers to get a half step ahead. They only average 182 yards a game through the air, but with their ability to run the ball, it can be easy to peak into the backfield. Don’t do it.

PREDICTION

1st Quarter

-Bama is going to do what they do and try to establish the run. They will NOT be very successful this quarter. When we have the ball, we will try to establish our version of the running game (traditional zone read game with Deshaun and Wayne, followed by Jet sweeps to Artavis and Ray Ray, and Screen passes to all receivers). It’s going to be both teams feeling each other out this quarter, so don’t expect a lot of offense. Bama could very well be up by 7 at the end of this quarter, so don’t be surprised if this is the case, but I don’t see either team scoring a TD this quarter.

End of 1st Quarter Score – Clemson 3 Alabama 3

2nd Quarter

-This is where I think you will see the running plays Bama called shift from between the tackles and guards to more on the edge due to us stuffing their attack. Expect some frequent shotgun formations with screens and RBs in motion and quick passes after the snap from them. Expect them to get a TD at some point during this quarter. What about us? This is where you see the plays from the 1st quarter pay off. Isolating Corners on the edge with the screen game will force the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage. Look for Williams on Bama #26 Humphrey this quarter, and expect us to take a few shots. I expect to see Williams own this dude, he was beat a lot during the season in various games (he made some plays too but there is a reason he was attacked more than any other corner on the Bama defense).

Halftime – Clemson 13 Alabama 10

3rd Quarter

-Adjustments on both sides will have possessions going 3 and out for both teams early in this quarter. Expect Bama to shift to running the QB more and having some success but not enough to be consistent. For the record, I don’t see Bama scoring any more than once this quarter. Why? They cannot consistently hit passes down the field in the passing game (sound familiar?). The big adjustment Bama will make against the offense is going to more 2 safety sets in order to stop the receivers, namely Williams. If we can get this to happen in the 2nd half, we got them right where we want them. Why? The numbers game. If you take our basic set (Shotgun, 3 WRs, TE who goes in motion, 5 OL, QB and 1RB), that leaves 9 defenders left to cover 11 players. They will have to have personnel account for the 3 WRs (namely someone covering each of them) and a LB on the TE (probably Leggett). That’s 2 Safeties, 2 Corners, and a Hybrid LB/NB covering the deep ball and each receiver/TE. That leaves 6 defenders against 7 players (including the QB). That’s when we call the QB run game and have a hat on a hat blocking. When this happens, we start our march to a 2 score lead by running effectively, and then hitting our WRs down the field for 2 big touchdowns.

End of 3rd Quarter Score – Clemson 27 Alabama 17

4th Quarter

-This is when Bama will have to start pressing a little bit, speeding up their tempo and running faster than they want to. They will catch us off guard on a couple of plays, but will have to settle for a FG to make it a one possession game. The very next drive, we drive down the field, torch Humphrey one more time for a huge TD to go up 2 scores with under 7 minutes to play. Bama gets the ball back and drives to midfield, but the D-line pressures hurts into a bad throw that Marcus Edmond (yea buddy) intercepts. We run the clock out, and celebrate.

Final Score – Clemson 34 Alabama 20

Note: Bama will not score a TD on defense or special teams this game. Why? They have 11 non-offensive touchdowns, you know how many we have given up? Just one all season. It’s not happening Monday night. That alone takes 10 points off the scoreboard for them (they average 9.5 points a game off turnovers).

(This game could go a few different directions depending on turnovers, but even though I’m saying 34-20, do not be surprised if we hold them to 10 points or less. They have played some pretty good defenses this season (LSU comes to mind) but the one thing they have not faced is a team that can play offense defense and special teams in the same game. You get up 2 scores in the 2nd half against these guys, and they will start pressing. Their O-line is not very good in pass protection, and getting up 2 scores will expose that to the entire nation as we start to rack up the hits on Hurts. How fitting would it be for a 34-10 score, reversing the roles of the 08 opener? I’m saying 34-20, but my heart wants to see us win 34-10).

THE GAMEDAY GUIDE (As I am calling this section since it resembles a gameday bible worth of information)

14-0 Overall (9-0 Conference)

Wins over USC (52-6), Western Kentucky (38-10), @ Ole Miss (48-43), Kent State (48-0), Kentucky (34-6), @ Arkansas (49-30), @ Tennessee (49-10), Texas A & M (33-14), @ LSU (10-0), Mississippi State (51-3), Chattanooga (31-3), Auburn (30-12), Florida (54-16), Washington (24-7)

Offense (per game)

Scoring

39.4 points
9.5 off turnovers (per game, yes per game)

1st downs

12.21 Rushing
8.36 Passing
0.79 Penalty

Total Offense

460.9 yards

Plays

Rushing

246.7 Yards
5.7 yards Per rush
43.21 Rushes
2.14 TDs

Passing

214.2 Yards
7.8 yards Per attempt
27.5 Attempts
1.79 TDs
81st in the nation in passing

Turnovers (on the season)

24 Fumbles (11 lost)
9 Interceptions thrown

3rd Downs (season)

89/193
46%

Penalties (season)

578 yards
41.3 yards/game (calling BS on this one being so low, especially after the 4 missed holding calls I saw in the UW game)

Sacks given up

40th in the nation in sacks allowed
Season high 3 sacks given up against USC, Texas A&M, Chattanooga (not a typo), Washington

Red Zone (season)

56/63
89%
39 TDs
Only 62% TDs when in the red zone
17 FGs
3 missed in the red zone
Average 4.5 red zone trips/game

Defense (per game)

Scoring

11.4 points

1st downs

4.5 Rushing
7.57 Passing
1.21 by way of a Penalty

Total Defense

244 yards

Plays

Rushing

62 Yards
2 yards Per rush (not a typo)
31 Rushes
0.21 TDs
3 on the entire season (not a typo)

Passing

182 Yards
5.7 yards Per attempt
450 Attempts
0.86 TDs
12 on the entire season (not a typo)

Turnovers (takeaways) (season)

25 Fumbles (10 recovered)
5 TDs
16 Interceptions
Fitzpatrick (6)
5 others with 2
2 others with 1
6 TDs

3rd Downs (season)

66/220
30%

Sacks (season)

#93 Allen 9.5
#22 Anderson 8.0
#56 Williams 9.0
No one else has more than 4 sacks

Red Zone (season)

17/21 possessions
81%
8 TDs
38%
9 FGs
43%

Special Teams (season)

Field Goals

21/28
75%
20-29 Yards
9/10
30-39 yards
8/10
40-49 yards
3/7
Long of 48
Have not attempted a kick longer than 44 yards since the Kent State game (48, 47 and 48 yarders in the 2 games preceding this game)

Punts

54 total
47.4-yard average
10 TBs
20 inside the 20 yard line
24 kicks of 50+ yards

Kick Offs

93 Kos
48 TBs
63.5-yard average

Return Game

Punts

33 returns
4 TDs
2 of these by Eddie Jackson who is out for the year with an injury
Average 15.7 yards a return (potential opportunity here if we attack the returner on punts to maybe get them to muff one and get a turnover)

Kicks

25 returns
Average of 19.6 yards a return
0 TDs (after last year, I know we’d be happy to just kick it out of the end zone all game, but could be an opportunity to gain some field position by kicking it a little short of the goal line and making the tackle before the 20)
1 return of 41 yards out of 25 returns, no others over 25 yards

Misc

Scoring by Quarter

First
114-45

Second
171-54

Third
142-29

Fourth
124-32

Only two teams rushed for over 100 yards against Bama
Ole Miss – 101 (3 yards a carry)
Texas A&M – 114 (3 yards a carry)

As good as Bama’s rush defense is, they tend to give up at least a couple long runs per game

Longest run allowed in each game

USC – 36
WKU – 16
Ole Miss – 23
Kent State – 47
Kentucky – 17
Arkansas – 18
Tennessee – 12
Texas A&M – 27
LSU – 9
Mississippi State – 24
Chattanooga – 13
Auburn – 13
Florida – 7
Washington – 16

Passing Defense gives up chunk plays a few times a game as well (even with the averages)

Longest pass allowed in each game

USC – 36
Western Kentucky – 59
Ole Miss – 63
Kent State – 36
Kentucky – 16
Arkansas – 57
Tennessee – 36
Texas A&M – 33
LSU – 41
Mississippi State – 41
Chattanooga – 31
Auburn – 55
Florida – 32
Washington - 20

Ole Miss Game Stats

522 yards Total Offense
421 passing yards, 3 TDs, 65% completions
101 rushing yards, 1 TD (3 yards a carry)
Bama rarely runs the Shotgun 2RB formation
On zone read plays, I would attack Hurts and hit him to force him to hand the ball off. Even if we give up some yards to the RB, I want Hurts pressured because most of his fumbles are due to worrying about the defensive pressure.
Why? Because Hurts averages 252.9 total yards per game. Harris (RB) only 72.4, Scarbrough (RB) only 59.9.

Specific Game Notes

Washington Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvzZK6asVDM

UW attacked the edges

Little success running between the tackles

UW RG was getting blown up bad early

UW let a pick 6 fall to the turf

Followed by a false start

UW forced a 3 and out to start the game

Washington’s RG, even when the defense rushed 4 and played with 2 deep safeties, kept getting beat (2:15 mark above)

Bama let a lot of space in the middle of the field open with their 2 safeties deep and rush 4, when UW picked it up, Browning was able to read the defense, everyone was covered, and ran for a first down on 3rd and 6

When given time on the 2nd drive for UW, Browning hit the receiver who beat the defender into the endzone (Bama #26)

Play action forced the UW safety up and opened up a hole in the zone for an easy pass to Howard on the near sideline (4:05 mark above)

Bama ran right up the middle of the UW D line and got big chunks on their first TD drive

UW kept trying to run it out of the endzone and that was a mistake, consistently gave up 10 yards of field position by doing that

RB screen on the sideline was effective again

Different formations kept Bama off guard at times

Fumble by UW gave Bama a short field but they held them to a FG

Bama had some self-induced penalties on this same drive

Bama RBs just bounced off the d line again and again (poor tackling)

Most of the 2nd quarter was a stalemate with good defensive play by both teams

Pick 6 that UW gave up came from a free rusher up the middle from Bama that forced an early check down to a covered RB

Bama #11 picked up a first down on a great side line catch (need to make sure we note this, we will cover the other guys but this one could be the wild card)

The pass rush from Washington was very effective (and only rushing 4 while dropping 7)

Washington’s O line was garbage, I haven’t seen one play so far where all 5 members were successful in blocking their guy, even with only 4 rushers

Hurts was awful throwing under pressure in the 2nd quarter

If UW takes a knee to end the half, having started at their own 4-yard line, it’d have been very interesting in the 2nd half

13:26 mark above, man in motion ran behind the center and took the ball and “QB” sneaked it on 3rd and 1 for a first down, interesting wrinkle

15:59 mark above, Bama #11 again on a 3rd down and long completion to an open hole on the sideline against zone coverage

Called back by ineligible receiver down field, but needs to be noted

Fumble by Hurts that was recovered by Bama would have been a huge momentum shift because UW was still in the game at that point (18:30 mark above)

Bama got back to running the ball and took over the game

The field position game was won by a landslide by Bama

If you watch just the lines of scrimmage, you’ll see the majority of the snaps won by Alabama

@ Ole Miss Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEhvGTztblw

Humphrey (#26) was attacked by the Ole Miss passing game

1:01 mark, Zone Read and decent blocking opening a whole in the middle of the Bama D-line with the safety too far to the side to catch up to the RB (similar play that Gallman had against Louisville in the 1st half, could see this play again Monday night)

Hurts made some good decisions pull the ball on the zone read early

Harris and Scarborough are a good 1-2 punch at RB

Hurts missed an open receiver in the end zone

Forced a FG attempt

Kelly underthrew an open receiver down the field, allowed the defender to catch up and knock the ball away (4:04 mark above)

Bama attacked the rugby style punt (2 plays after the one above, worth noting because they’ve seen that style of punt and I’m sure will attack it as a part of their game plan)

Cam Robinson had 2 early false start penalties (LT, the all American, he can make some mistakes, be curious to see if we rotate Wilkins, Ferrell, and Bryant at him to hit with power rushes and then speed rushes)

4:48 mark, when Hurts had time, he found #11 (a trend that has developed is finding him, aka possession receiver, on 2nd/3rd and longs for a sure completion)

5:19 mark, QB draw was the perfect play call against attacking DEs from the edges with deep zones behind them, but Hurts fumbled upon contact (review overturned the fumble), a common trend this year is Hurts does fumble the ball a fair amount

Ridley in the screen game was a common play call

Hurts forced a pass into double coverage (almost picked) on 3rd down (6:48 mark above)

Missed FG the play after

7:54 mark, Hurts threw a pass that should have been a pick 6 but the defender dropped it

8:38 mark, Swag attacked the hole on the sideline in the secondary (common in this game) (called back for holding on the offense)

9:21 mark, HB Counter (similar to the infamous Cook play call for FSU picked up a big gain to the left side of their O-line)

9:50 mark, ran a double reverse and had the option to throw it but the defense shut it down (could see this play again Monday night)
Bama shanked a punt in the 2nd quarter

10:32 mark, Swag threw a deep ball and Humphrey (#26) again was beat by a receiver (I’ve seen this happen in a few games this year, I’d be shocked at this point if we didn’t isolate him with Mike Williams 1 on 1 every chance we get)
Ole Miss attacked the edges, lot of positive yards

11:27 mark, Bama #11 possession receiver again on 2nd and long made a catch in the open hole in the zone defense

11:37 mark, Hurts felt a little pressure and ball slipped out of his hands on a pass (fumbled, recovered)
#22 Anderson (Bama) is a handful, threw off an OL and RB and hit Swag throwing

12:54 mark, Swag made the safety bite on a zone read fake and threw it deep to the right side of the field to a wide-open receiver (Bama’s secondary yet again was not up to par in the 1st half) (expect to see Deshaun attack the line of scrimmage and then throw over the top similar to the VT game)

14:44 mark, Hurts fumble, scoop and score for Ole Miss (free rusher off the right side of the Bama O-line)

Combination of Ole Miss plays and self induced errors (I lost track of how many times Bama was forced into a ton of 2nd and 3rd and longs in the 1st half (until late)

Big difference in the 2 halves of this game is the defense getting that fumble for a TD (shifted momentum) and getting pressure in the middle of the offensive line (changed the game)

Deep shots drew some PIs from the Ole Miss secondary, expect to see Bama do this to us to try and loosen up the box that we will play against them

Bama stopped making self-induced mistakes and got pressure on Kelly, scored on another defensive TD

Ole Miss made it a game late with the quick TD, onside kick recovery, and another quick td, but Bama maintained control

@ LSU Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iaZvJKjfhM

LSU’s secondary started the game on fire, tackled very well, reading the QB’s eyes

0:39 mark, notice the formations (Bama in Shotgun with 1TE to the left, common formation for them (and us as well actually)), vs LSU’s DEs kicked out with LBs scattered near the LOS, particularly 2 deep safeties (including 1 behind the man to man coverage on the far side of the field) and how the late LB rush forced a bad decision from Hurts on the interception

Pause it at 0:52 seconds, Safety ready Hurts’ eyes the entire play. Expect our defense to run this same formation on 3rd and long.

Bama’s D-line on 3rd and long is extremely dangerous, cannot run long developing plays on 3rd down and expect much

LSU attacked them on the edges with the secondary and tackled very well

Bama’s O-line struggled in pass protection the entire game (lots of different defensive looks but the one constant was the pressure in Hurts’ face)

2:38 mark, guess who got beat on a deep 1 on 1 ball? That’s right, #26 Humphrey. It was 3rd and 6 as well with a safety over the top the help in coverage but was late finding the ball. Guess who was playing safety? Fitzpatrick. He’s a very solid corner but is spotty at safety.

Bama consistently used the screen game because the O-line was not opening holes in the run game consistently, and LSU shut that down early.

6:32 mark, pay attention to the 8 defenders at the LOS. LSU gets a hat on a hat, and you see a successful. Bama putting 8 in the box I don’t think is going to happen much on 1st down, but if it does, that screams hit Williams on the outside (8 men in the box means 3 in coverage, and you’ll notice 5 yards off the ball and dropping further back on the snap)

7:03 mark, watch the run by the FB (possible wrinkle for us with maybe Wilkins or Lawrence? Maybe) to pick up the first down.

7:08 mark, play action that was setup PERFECTLY, QB threw it late, but the receiver beat the corner (Guess who? Yep #26 Humphrey). Would not be surprised to see a similar play by us (not in the I-formation though, though maybe!) with Cain down the field.

Bama had to blitz a lot to disrupt the LSU offense, that’s what we want, because Deshaun will pick them apart if they have to blitz to get to him.

8:12 mark, look at the formation. What do you notice? 3rd and 2 with Bama in shotgun, yet LSU had no one to account for the far side of the field except the safety who is so deep in the middle of the field at the snap he was too far away to make a play near the LOS. Good play call by Bama to QB run it and use the RB blocking to get the edge for a big gain.

8:48 mark, watch the O-line struggle blocking 3 D-linemen, and actually a good play call to the RB on the wheel route, but the safety back to help cover took that play away from Bama.

9:12 mark, LSU was successful running a play we have run a bunch (shotgun empty set QB draw to the open area in the middle for the field for a good gain).

How LSU did not score in this game is beyond me, some GREAT starting field position, but the QB play was poor.

12:34 mark, this is textbook why I say “attack” the returner, because he just might muff it.

12:46 mark, first deep ball hit all night by Bama, fake jet sweep (safety had his eyes in the backfield) and hit a play to an open receiver (this is the danger of only one safety and all 11 players within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage)

15:28 mark, reverse with an option to throw, they ran this same play in the Ole Miss game and had the same no gain result, but they will call this in a close game when they try to stretch the field.

15:40 mark, watch how the pressure (corner blitz) takes Hurts’ attention, gets him thinking a little too much, and ends up fumbling upon contact (strip). This exact sequence of events has happened a fair amount this season, we will run this I’m sure at some point on defense in the game.

17:23 mark, 3rd and 3, LSU with a chance to get a 1st down near the Bama 30 and a false start. Cannot have these Monday night.

Next play, 3rd and 8, Bama pinned their ears back, forced QB to throw away but ball didn’t cross the line of scrimmage, intentional grounding, all field position gained on that drive went away.

QB Run game got LSU on too wide defensive positioning

QB run game was the only consistent running attack to gain position yards when called
Bama picked a pass off and literally ran a bunch of QB runs (very effective against a worn-out LSU defense)

FG with 2:41 left effectively ended the game.

References

http://rolltide.com.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/2016/9/10/Alabama_Football_Cume_Stats_9_10_16.pdf

Previous Tidbits

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20772312

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1656923&tstart=400

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Alabama Scouting

Jan 3, 2017, 10:11 PM

Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2017, 10:14 PM

I need a beer for this.

Thank you sir. Haven't even read yet, but know it's a gem. Appreciate your work.

I have to work at 4:15a.m. and I'm not even feeling remotely tired.

O', my soul

Great..emailed it to 5 Friends/relatives..

Jan 3, 2017, 10:28 PM

Hope none are Bama Homies! ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how long did it take to write all that?***

Jan 3, 2017, 10:29 PM

Re: how long did it take to write all that?***

Jan 3, 2017, 10:33 PM

Starting with the flight back from the Fiesta Bowl I watched all 14 games, and then decided on the 3 listed because they are the most relevant to us. I excluded the Auburn game (even though that's the only team both of us played) because Auburn was 100% healthy and at home when we played them, they were banged up and on the road when they played Bama, so it really wasn't a game that you could use to compare us and them.

I'd say total typing about 6ish hours. Maybe a little more, but I've done these ever since the Louisville game this season.

Re: how long did it take to write all that?***

Jan 3, 2017, 10:38 PM

i don't hand out compliments much and will do so sometimes begrudgingly. however, in this case, i will make an exception to my moral code. this is fine work. cheers

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Outstanding work my friend!!!

Jan 4, 2017, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: how long did it take to write all that?*** ]

With footnote references and everything. I feel like you need to send me an invoice for services rendered now...;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great..emailed it to 5 Friends/relatives..

Jan 3, 2017, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Great..emailed it to 5 Friends/relatives.. ]

You'd be surprised at the stuff a coach may or may do based off this or that knowledge .

I'd like to see Sark's tendencies as playcaller at while at other schools. I know he'll be sticking to Sabans blueprint, but I'm sure there's some tendencies he has

Jan 3, 2017, 10:41 PM

Great info, thanks for putting in the time.

6 HOURS!

Jan 3, 2017, 10:47 PM

Whoa, but looks it! ThX & sure hope a high % of this rationale comes to be since we will be celebrating our 2nd Natty with TiGER Team..our National Champions for 2016!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 6 HOURS!

Jan 3, 2017, 11:09 PM

Haha thanks. The 6 hours is just the typing part, that doesn't take into account watching all 14 games (30-40 min versions on youtube do help speed it up) and then watching and breaking down a select few of them.

Someone needs to hire you to do this each week

Jan 3, 2017, 10:46 PM

Very detailed. Thanks big man.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are a rock star***

Jan 3, 2017, 11:24 PM

I think one offensive key you failed to mention...

Jan 4, 2017, 6:22 AM

is giving Deshaun time to make his reads. He will get sacked in this game, but if only once or twice with no TOs involved, that will be okay. We'll roll the pocket some, but for the majority of the game, Watson needs time to read through his options as one of them will be open enough for his precision.

And just as important as OL blocking will be WR blocking. I don't see our jet sweeps being effective in the first half with their DE and LB speed. I imagine Elliott will look to quick outs to get the ball on the perimeter and that is where we need our big WRs to make the blocks for freeing up meaningful gains.

What you mentioned ties in with 3.5 yards/rush

Jan 4, 2017, 7:21 AM

Because it all starts with that. We're not going to average over 5 yards a carry this game (if we do, look out, that would be the ingredients of us blowing them out, which is very unlikely). The OL giving time for Deshaun and the WR blocking all go back to the ability to be balanced, which is where the 3.5 yards/rush come in. Keep in mind I was going for the not so obvious bits of info here, because who really wants to read another article in the media talking about "turnovers/injuries/protection will be the deciding factors". Those are always the most crucial parts of any game, but do you really want to read a forum post this long (in the first place, haha yes I get it) that gives you the same info that the media will in a lot less info?

By the way, you're right about the jet sweeps. The point is not to always get big gains off of them, it's about setting up the defense for what's next. Jet sweeps force the safeties to peak into the backfield (fake or not). When you have the best receiving corps in the country, that slight hesitation is what you want, because one on one coverage is what we want to see.

Jan 4, 2017, 8:36 AM

Long read but worth it. Thank you for your excellent analysis, as always, and write-up of this game and other games. +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw all that noise, I want to blank them like we did OSU,

Jan 4, 2017, 8:56 AM

stamp a big Orange Tiger Paw on Saban's asz and put their players in dresses, send the ESPiN talking head into a frenzy and turn the sports world on it's head and allocate a back seat on the bus for the SEC for the next decade.

GO TIGERS ALL IN DEEP!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2017, 10:31 AM

Clemfan3829 - great job - I always look forward to reading this. Bump for the crowd.

Punting

Jan 4, 2017, 10:35 AM

I think you show them averaging over 47 yards - is that correct?

If so, that may be really important and probably my biggest worry. The way they shut down the run and ball hawk we don't need to be starting drives deep in our own territory.

Re: Punting

Jan 4, 2017, 10:44 AM

That's correct. Their punter is very good. The issue isn't necessarily the starting field position, it's what teams do with it. You'd be surprised how many teams have turned the ball over in the shadow of their own goal posts. Remember, their punt return game hasn't been the same either since Eddie Jackson went down. You add the defensive and special teams scores together, it equals the TDs given up on defense (15 to 15). That's how they win games. They'll lull you to sleep with the run game and make you beat yourself.

The important thing here though is they have no played a team all year that can play all 3 phases of the game (offense, defense, special teams) at a high level in the same game.

Jan 4, 2017, 10:48 AM

With a 47 yd average is it safe to assume the vast majority are fair caught? If so, what is our best chance to get out of the hole and not throw a pick 6? With an average defense of only 2 yards per carry, guessing we will have to pass.

Jan 4, 2017, 10:55 AM

fair caught or returned for a very minimal gain. No doubt we will likely start some drives less than 10 yards away from our own end zone, that's going the a fact of life monday night.

Best chance to get out of the hole without a pick 6/fumble recovery for 6? The edges. If I'm Bama, I'm bringing pressure on almost every down to force quick throws to the outside. The one play call I want to see run in that exact situation is a RB screen, why? they will be expecting the edge game (knowing that Ole Miss and other teams have been successful at it). You beat the blitz by throwing into it. That's important to remember. Remember, when they blitz, not only does that leave the area where they blitzed from open, it also likely means zone coverage deep or one on one coverage on the outside. I except some max protects and some shots deep to Williams and Cain, and some shots over the middle of the field to Leggett.

Jan 4, 2017, 11:13 AM

Once again, excellent analysis and breakdown. TU for you, sir!

My Two Cents

Jan 4, 2017, 11:16 AM

What an amazing analysis! My football knowledge is not even a fraction of yours, but I do have a few comments/questions.

Will jet sweeps really work against Alabama? We may have to run some just to keep them honest, but chances are that most of the jet sweeps will end up in negative yardage because of Alabama's tremendous lateral speed. Comments?

Your comment regarding yards after contacts (on running plays) are key. The running game is their strength; everyone knows that they will run and no one can stop them, primarily because of yards after contact.

Their running game and constant pounding wears out opponents and they just take over the game in the 4th quarter. I am kind of worried about this part as our defense is known to get weary in the fourth quarter even against far inferior opponents. How do we keep our defense from getting tired? Comments?

What is your opinion of Hurts? How does he compare to Barrett - is he better/worse? I think that he is the wild card in the game and can hurt our defense by his running. I am sure that (unlike Ohio State) Alabama will have several quarterback run design plays. Your thoughts?

What about kickoff returns? We are bound to give at least one big return if our kicker cannot kick it into the end zone (as against Ohio State). Comments?

My view is that the score will be around 14-14 (14/10) at the half (neither team will be able to score quickly and there will be a lot of probing to see what works); 21-17 at the end of the 3rd quarter (not sure who will be ahead - depends on turnovers/field position); and 31-27 (or thereabouts) at the end of the game (more scoring in the fourth quarter when defenses tire and the trailing team is taking risks and going for fourth downs etc.). I hope it is 34-20 Clemson as you predict!

Again, thanks for the analyses - I need to read it several times to digest everything!

Re: My Two Cents

Jan 4, 2017, 12:54 PM

Thank you for reading that entire thing. It's a lot I know!

-Jet sweeps are not going to go for big stretches of yards, but will throw another look at the defense. If we only gain a couple yards here and there, that's actually ok. It's not as much about the yardage gained as it is setting up the defense. Use it as a tool to see how the safeties and LBs react. Do they follow the receiver in motion which would show man coverage across the board? Do they stay put which usually means zone defense? When the play is run, do the safeties cheat up and make the tackle or is it the LBs? What are their eyes focused on? That's a lot of info you can pick up from a simple play, and the carry over to the rest of the playbook is there. It's not always about that exact play from a yards perspective.

-Simple way to keep the D from getting tired, 3 and outs. The offense can help by putting some drives together and scoring (the more you score, and stop the opponent, the more you can take them out of their run first game plan).

-Hurts I think is more shifty than Barret (Barrett weighs more and has more experience). The downfield passing game is more limited than you think because Hurts has not had to beat anyone with his arm in the 4th quarter this year. His running ability stressing the tired LSU defense in the 4th quarter is what turned that game. He can throw the ball, and i don't know if we have seen enough of him under pressure having to make throws late in games to get a complete assessment, but he's a true freshman who has not had to beat a team throwing the ball. They are going to have to throw the ball to beat us.

-Even after last season, I'm confident in kicking just a little short of the goal line. Why? Bama has zero TDs on kick returns, and averages 20ish yards a return. We might only gain 3-5 yards from if it's a touchback, but 3-5 yards in this game could be the difference.

it's an interesting look, because Bama will have to throw at times and we'll have to run at times which is the opposite of each's strengths.

Jan 4, 2017, 10:27 PM

Hence, they have to be successful with their running game to be able to depend on it. I do not believe they can run on us like they have on others. I saw a lazy slow defensive line on the other side of the all during the Peach Bowl. Frankly, those UW linemen were breathing through their mouths and one even resting hands on sides before the end of the first quarter.

Imo, Bama won't be able to gas our D line as they have others for our depth and their lack thereof. Everybody gets tired in the fourth, especially if they are playing a tight game. I believe they will be playing catchup from the first quarter though we'll see looks from Bama on both sides of the ball that they haven't shown before this year.

We got this one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2017, 10:37 PM

You are right- we got this one!

Jan 4, 2017, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: My Two Cents ]

Thanks! I wish I could watch a game with you - I would learn a lot!

Jan 4, 2017, 10:09 PM

have not read all of the replies,so i don't know if you've been asked the ?how does Alabama's d compare to osu's.if you've already answered this ?,just send me to the reply.thanks.your insight and analysis is better than anything out there.consider cashing in somewhere down the road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 4, 2017, 10:23 PM

Not yet actually. Bama has a better DL (the experience puts them above OSU imo) and overall at LB (McMillian might be the best LB in the country though, but Bama goes with some serious depth in front 7). The one area I think OSU is ever so slightly better is in the secondary. Bama has 6 Pick 6s, OSU has 7, and OSU played a tougher schedule. Eddie Jackson is a great player at safety, but Bama lost him for the year on an injury before the LSU game, and it's shown up as not as good as a unit as the front 7. Fitzpatrick has gone back and forth between corner and safety, and he's not as good at safety. #20, #28 and fitz are very good and don't make a lot of mistakes, but #26 Humphrey is imo the one we can attack consistently because he's been attacked a lot by everyone from ole miss to auburn, and he's given up big plays down the field in one on one coverage (washingtons td, auburn overthrew an open receiver in the end zone, lsu overthrew a receiver in the 2nd quarter, all situations where he was in coverage). The only team bama played that is is the same ball park on offense (scheme wise) as us is ole miss, and swag torched them by making good throws down the field. Bamas defense has earned where they are, but it's not like they've played the toughest schedule or the best offenses. We have the best qb and receiving corps they will see by a long shot.

Jan 5, 2017, 9:40 PM

great as always.thanks!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 5, 2017, 10:32 PM

No Problem.

I learned quite a bit. Don't know how I missed

Jan 5, 2017, 11:23 PM

Your other scouting reports, but it would have given me a better understanding of what we're trying to accomplish away from the ball. Film breakdowns are something that I've wanted to see for some time. That's not a request, seeing that you do need time to eat and sleep. I've taken notes..Thank you sir

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I learned quite a bit. Don't know how I missed

Jan 5, 2017, 11:47 PM

Yeah I know what you mean. I've learned a bunch reading this breakdowns. If you ever have the time it's well worth reviewing the previous games. Especially the fla st game and the acc championship game.

Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to watch the games with clemfan. Like watching with a fb coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2017, 12:09 AM

Don't know that he could deal with my yelling and pacing, but I put together some decent nachos and brain freezing beer. Then again, if I knew we weren't supposed to pick up yards on the play... I'm an idiot

Jan 6, 2017, 12:17 AM

I've gotten more calm over the years (particularly the last couple) but I assure you I'm right there with y'all yelling and pacing and clapping super loud during the entire game. After being a NCAA football video game player for years, I started learning some basic stuff for the actual game and it took off from there. I always researched like this post but never put them together to post. That al changed during the lead up to the Louisville game this year. Finally got pissed off at everyone saying we wouldn't win. That's how the posts started and they've evolved over time to what you see in this post.

Jan 6, 2017, 12:47 AM

I assumed you were maybe a highschool coach or played in school. You're wire for this type of analysis. Yeah, I was confident about the Louisville game, using my simplistic way of reasoning. I told folks that there wasn't a great deal of film on Jackson until after the Florida state game, and they we would make the blueprint. Don't know if that's accurate, but it sounded good at the time. After we win the championship, I'll read your posts as I replay the games from this season.

Jan 6, 2017, 7:15 AM

Y'all would be surprised. Just a 29 year old who hasn't played organized football since middle school (high school ball was out of the question at the time). Not a fan of not understanding something that I like, and college football is the favorite sport that's for sure.

Jan 6, 2017, 7:53 AM

Prime years. The world is yours right now.

Jan 6, 2017, 10:42 AM

yep yep, was married for 4 years in my early 20s (aka thinking with the wrong head) but life is good right now for sure!

Jan 5, 2017, 2:50 AM

Great, Great post and stats. Well done.

Jan 5, 2017, 10:48 AM

Excellent job. I don't think I've ever seen a post as thorough as this.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 5, 2017, 3:21 PM

Most excellent as always. Really can't think you enough for these this year! I've watched several of the bama games this year. I missed the usc game and from the box score it looks like bama had their way which is not surprising because usc doesn't play defense.

What surprises me is why they couldn't pass more on them. That's really the only game to me that's a head scratcher.

Anyway, thanks again ! Looking forward to your "post analysis" !

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2017, 3:54 PM

Appreciate it. The USC game for them was interesting, because they switched QBs, and as an opener had to work through issues. USC had more issues than Bama did, and you see what happens when a team turns it over a couple of times against them. Don't forget, USC switched QBs later on in the season to get to where they finished, no doubt a big part of their turnover the last 9 games of the season for them. Openers you have to take with a grain of salt. It's not surprising to see lower scores for teams (minus turnovers) in bigger games because of just the lack of overall execution (ex. us against Auburn in the opener). It takes a couple games to get fully into the flow and consistent execution that it takes to be successful each year.

Jan 5, 2017, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama Scouting ]

I think USC was playing a different QB than they are now. Also they were up on Alabama most of the first quarter I think

Gotta add one thing as well

Jan 5, 2017, 8:15 PM

CFN nailed it here. http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/college-football-playoff-national-championship-3-reasons-why-clemson-will-win

".....and Clemson’s is the best the Tide have faced." Talking about the defensive line. AND We're 100% healthy there too.

Another gem:

"How good has the Clemson defensive backfield been? Helped by the killer pass rush, it came up with 20 interceptions, allowed just 12 touchdown passes – five of them to Pitt – and almost always makes up for any bad moments with a big, game-changing play. Hurts has to be very, very careful – he can’t force anything against this group."

12 TD passes all season (5 in one game). You know who else's defense has given up only 12 TDs passing? Alabama. The last team to have a similar offense that they played away from the Bama/ATL area? Ole Miss. Swag passed for 341 yards in the 2015 season against them with 3 TDs. So how'd they fair this year (after Saban has a full year to adjust to them?)? 421 yards and 3 TDs. Swag played BETTER this year with a worse receiving corps.

Bama's numbers are also buffed by playing teams that run a more traditional offense, not spread teams. Very similar to Bud Foster (before he adapted) in 2011, remember that year? They went 11-2 (before the bowl game) and both loses to us.

Re: Gotta add one thing as well

Jan 5, 2017, 9:09 PM

Yeah you did come up with a gem there. You're just a gift that keeps on giving!

Didn't realize until I looked back at the Arkansas game that they turned it over 5 times and 2 were defensive td's for bama... and they still managed 30. Bama did turn it over 3 times though.

I don't know clemfan with that D. Our Oline and backs/ TE got to play lights out. Thank goodness they're able to practice against our front 7. Bama D coming at us with something to prove.

I'm feeling more like 23-13. Kinda like last year fla st game. That being said, you've made me a believer all year.

Re: Gotta add one thing as well

Jan 5, 2017, 11:15 PM

Bama puts the ball on the ground more than people realize. LSU's defensive gameplan was outstanding. Don't let their D numbers intimidate you. They are a great team, but the numbers are buffed by playing very predictable, weak, and overrated SEC opponents.

This is outstanding! Thank you so much!

Jan 6, 2017, 12:10 AM

I know you put a lot of time and effort into this, and it shows. I share your confidence in our win on Monday night. Go Tigers!

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Appreciate it. Go Tigers!***

Jan 6, 2017, 7:19 AM

Saturday bump, GO TIGERS!***

Jan 7, 2017, 11:41 AM

Gameday eve bump, GO TIGERS!***

Jan 8, 2017, 11:57 AM

All i can say is... Exceptional Post!!!

Jan 8, 2017, 1:17 PM

Go Tigers!!!

I'm thinking you need to become a regular article write for TNet!!!

Appreciate it, GO TIGERS!***

Jan 8, 2017, 3:50 PM

Gameday!!!***

Jan 9, 2017, 9:48 AM

one more bump***

Jan 9, 2017, 3:43 PM

Re: one more bump***

Jan 10, 2017, 10:32 AM

Mr. Mueller from Sports and Entertainment Marketing would be proud of you!

Re: one more bump***

Jan 10, 2017, 11:43 AM

Unbelievable man. Just wow.

Enjoyed your insights. great job!!***

Jan 10, 2017, 10:30 AM

Appreciate It!***

Jan 10, 2017, 4:18 PM

Jan 16, 2017, 7:41 PM

I had been looking for some posts from you but must have missed them. I really appreciate your posts this year. The score wasn't exactly like you drew it up by quarter but it was darn close my friend. Some missed calls for holding, some no calls on targeting and the fumbles or your score is more like it.

Hope you post again this year. Thanks again.

Jan 19, 2017, 4:00 PM

I think I'm going to post a thread with the links to all of them from this season sometime this weekend. I enjoyed the heck out of writing those. I always did this type of analysis for myself but never put pen to paper until I got so fed up with the Lamar jackson and louisville talk that I had to consolidate and publish.

Really enjoyed these this season, and became more

Jan 19, 2017, 4:20 PM

optimistic with each post for each game as the season unfolded.

Muchas gracias!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Compilation Post link

Jan 19, 2017, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Alabama Scouting ]

quick reference for all of them here http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1667122&tstart=0

Bump***

Jan 20, 2017, 12:43 AM

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

you the man***

Jan 20, 2017, 2:51 PM

most impressed with no defensive or st tds.

Feb 9, 2017, 10:17 PM

How could you have known renfrow was taking him down. Man I hope that tackle is etched in my mind forever.

Replies: 67
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic