Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The N-I-L will be the E-N-D of college football.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

The N-I-L will be the E-N-D of college football.

Jul 24, 2020, 4:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed!!***

Jul 24, 2020, 4:42 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The N-I-L will be the E-N-D of college football.

Jul 24, 2020, 4:45 PM

I don’t see how it can possibly be structured to be fair with all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2020, 4:46 PM

Yes, as we have known and loved it.

It would have been a HeII of a lot easier just to pay them,

Jul 24, 2020, 4:46 PM

but the schools didn't want to share the $ with them, so this is what we are left with

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They get paid.***

Jul 24, 2020, 4:48 PM

Soooo, if you don't want a scholarship, with tutors, room

Jul 24, 2020, 5:09 PM

and board, state of the art work out facilities,and access to corporate execs that the average college student NEVER has access to, then let the NFL start a minor league and have at it. Play 2 to 5 years in the minors, and if you don't make it to the league, see if that 2 to 5 years is a profitable for you in the long run, as 2 to 5 years in college. Especially, compare it to 2 to 5 years at CLemson. Dabo and co. will absolutely have you groomed for a future in business if you do what they ask and you don't make it to the league. Currently, being a scholarship player at Clemson, I would estimate you have a 10 to 15 percent chance to make it to the NFL. I would say you have about a 5 to 10 percent chance to become financially independent from the NFL. So, if you are one of the ones who don't make it, I am guessing you will be immensely more prepared to make a living after your stent at Clemson than you would on a farm team for the NFL.

And along the way, you will have the adulation of thousands of fans of all ages. But, if that is not good enough. Kill the Golden Goose. Destroy the system that has made college players the envy of everyone on campus. The rest of us will just have to figure out what to do with all of our free time and new found money.....Personally, I could buy 8 to 10 new rods AND reels a year...or make payments on a new boat, or take my wife to Aruba, or .....you know...I could do some nice stuff with the extra money. How about yourselves.

I will add though, I would miss the banter with many friends I have made on tnet as I am sure all of our common interest would fade away. Let's hope for the best.

Spud

Re: Soooo, if you don't want a scholarship, with tutors, room

Jul 24, 2020, 6:29 PM

You always hear people talking about how important and education is but these kinds of issues reveal that a large number of people, of a certain political persuasion, don't value an education at all. There are literally millions of college students who would kill to get a free college education in exchange for playing a college sport which would garner them the adulation of countless fans. However, now the morons who wouldn't wipe their rear with any of that want to destroy it all so they can get what will amount,for most of them, to chump change. The .01% of HS players who end up making the NFL may end up better off but the other 99.9% will never set foot on a college campus and will end up right back wherever they started. If I didn't know better I'd think somebody who hated young minority males dreamed this entire scheme up as a way to keep them poor, uneducated and hopeless. Maybe that's how they want them. Keeps them voting Democrat for sure.

It wasn't that simple. The schools didn't want to get into

Jul 24, 2020, 5:18 PM [ in reply to It would have been a HeII of a lot easier just to pay them, ]

a lot of what goes into paying a salary to an employee. Taxes, etc.

Agree. Glad we had some big glory days right before it

Jul 24, 2020, 5:16 PM

withers away. I think many fans are about ready to move on now.

I hate to agree, but I also won't bury my head

Jul 24, 2020, 5:41 PM

in the sand.

I have already started distancing myself from what once was the biggest passion of my life..college football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

YeP, DABO was & is right!

Jul 24, 2020, 5:46 PM

It’s a new game..virtually semi-pro with (some) greedy players & agents in abundance.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know the feeling. And just think, we have won 2 of last

Jul 24, 2020, 10:34 PM [ in reply to I hate to agree, but I also won't bury my head ]

4 national titles and played for 2 others in last five years. Imagine how a fan of average teams must feel right now. Just not worth it.

Indeed. For me, it will mean more focus on other sports I enjoy

Jul 24, 2020, 5:46 PM

like soccer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I try to get into soccer, but it is just the most

Jul 24, 2020, 10:39 PM

boring thing I have ever tried to watch. I just don't get it. I'm glad its successful and throngs of other people like it, but I'd rather watch Lacrosse and it seems we have no interest in getting a team in that sport.

It’s a huge missed opportunity that we don’t have lacrosse.***

Jul 24, 2020, 11:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

COVID will be the end of College Football

Jul 24, 2020, 5:50 PM

Imagine trying to make the argument that the athletes are just students on scholarship for sports when they're required to be on campus while the rest of students are not allowed to be on campus. Any veil of amateurism is gone.

Re: COVID will be the end of College Football

Jul 24, 2020, 6:20 PM

Let's not give up on football yet. We are too good.

Re: COVID will be the end of College Football

Jul 24, 2020, 9:37 PM

Us being good has no bearing on whether or not the athletes are professionals or amateurs. They're the key cogs in a multi-billion dollar industry and there are those among them that are not being compensated anywhere close to adequately. And now we're expecting them to be on campus solely to play their sport when we've deemed it unsafe for students to be on campus until late September? You can't make a good faith argument that they're just students that play sports at this point.

Nobody has to accept a college scholarship to play football.

Jul 24, 2020, 10:42 PM

Up until recently, the chance to play football for a major college and get a full ride, with a chance to go pro was every kid's dream. Nobody is forced to accept the horrible, miserable, fate of being a college football player.

Re: Nobody has to accept a college scholarship to play football.

Jul 25, 2020, 10:08 AM

Nobody forcing them to do it doesn't change that they're not being adequately compensated for doing it.

Also "it's always the way we've done it" is a terrible argument. Something being the way things have been done previously shouldn't prevent us from making things better moving forward. There's enough money in college football to adequately compensate the players, the schools just don't want to share it.

Jul 24, 2020, 6:27 PM

Yep... would like to thank California for destroying another American staple...

Jul 24, 2020, 6:34 PM

If it does ruin college FB, will it be the end of the world, absolutely not!!! If they end up screwing up college sports, will it be as bad as most of us think that it will be, maybe not, for the first few seasons yes. But just think about all the things we have missed doing with our families during FB season. It has been a rule in my house like forever, don't plan on me doing anything on Saturday during college FB season bc I won't be in on it, and I have missed out on a lot with family and friends for college FB. I gave college FB my loyalty and money all my life, and if they want to ruin it, well good for them, but they can ruin it without me, I'll change what I'm loyal to, and spend my money on something else that will benefit something other than college FB!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nailed it.***

Jul 24, 2020, 10:43 PM

but is The N-I-L

Jul 24, 2020, 6:41 PM

dammmnit

null

Undoubtedly***

Jul 24, 2020, 9:15 PM

If you think college football is going

Jul 24, 2020, 10:27 PM

to be ruined by players earning compensation for the use of their own name, number, likeness, etc., then you never cared about the players in the first place...you just want your Tigers to shut up and play. Got it.

You're a football fan as long as you never have to confront the inequities of the sport. It's a MULTIPLE-BILLION dollar industry, and you're advocating that that the people who do the work to earn that money by risking their health (moreso than ever this year) shouldn't be able to make a little for themselves.

Sure...that seems reasonable. What a sheep you are, out here towing the company line with all your might.

Re: If you think college football is going

Jul 24, 2020, 11:43 PM

What a moron you are for assuming what others are feeling or thinking. Being you has to be miserable!!! TD for you....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody is forced to take a college scholarship and play.

Jul 25, 2020, 12:39 AM [ in reply to If you think college football is going ]

Just simply say, "I don't think this is a fair situation for me. Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. You have made me an offer I can refuse." If its too much like a job and not fun, then that is another reason not to sign. Just say, "oh hell no. I don't want to do that. It is too much like having a job and not getting paid for the job. If you think only a college education and an opportunity to attract attention from the NFL is worth all I will have to do, then you are crazy. I'm not signing that scholarship paper and nobody can force me to. Find some other sucker to take you up on that offer."

There, that was easy. Nobody feels exploited, cheated, ripped off. And someone that might think its a good deal gets to sign on for the scholarship and opportunity they might not have otherwise gotten. THey get the scholarship that someone else turned down. It's a win win for everyone. That is what college football has been about for 100 years. Now, all of a sudden its not good enough.

The reason he thinks it will ruin college sports is there will not be a level playing field, some players in the locker room will be jealous of others, there may be less incentive to attend class, there will be even more corruption and people will just stop giving a crap. Kind of like they are already are starting to do, which is what most of this thread is about.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic