Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
kville's official stance on realignment: we're not leaving
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

kville's official stance on realignment: we're not leaving

May 25, 2012, 10:04 AM

the ACC for the big 12. if the SEC called, might be a different position. but we're not going to the big 12. if i'm wrong, i will be front and center at the first horrible away game and pay for a keg. pick your poison, k-state or iowa state. i'm there. mark it down.

but i don't think we're going anywhere. i think we (and FSU) are posturing bigtime to be able to carry more weight when it comes to revenue sharing and decision making. this is all about leverage. i could be wrong. but i don't think i am.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

I think you are right!***

May 25, 2012, 10:05 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Posturing to get a concession out of ACC***

May 25, 2012, 10:06 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll say it again,

May 25, 2012, 10:08 AM

How then will we make up the money gap with SCU! Answer that little question, then I might be on your side. It's all about dollars. And NO, Notre Dame is not riding in to save the ACC, won't happen. And there is zero chance of getting into the SEC.

If the ACC allowed bowl teams to keep half the money...

May 25, 2012, 10:18 AM

we would earn the difference on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the ACC allowed bowl teams to keep half the money...

May 25, 2012, 10:21 AM

Yep and if Tobacco road would have agreed with that then we wouldnt be having this conversation now.

FSU and Clemson are tired of paying the leeches bills. Teams like Duke who are doing nothing to try and improve their Football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

it's all about our recent proposal about how we share the

May 25, 2012, 10:42 AM [ in reply to I'll say it again, ]

money generated by football. we proposed a more equitable split, the non-football schools balked. so we say, OK we're going to "explore our options." when faced with the possibility of 2 of its biggest revenue generators leaving the league, the ACC will reconsider. if they don't, we can always go to the big 12. if they do reconsider and decide to split the money up based on actual production, then we're in good shape and we're a more atractive destination to a big money school like a notre dame. just my opinion.

the ACC is a great conference when you consider across the board athletics. it's also a good academic conference. i have a hard time believing we'd leave for the big 12. the SEC maybe. big 12 no.

FAT TAX NOW!

So if we're bluffing, what if they call our bluff?

May 25, 2012, 10:08 AM

Basically say we could care less if you generate the most revenue. We could care less you are surrounded by football oriented schools, it doesn't effect us? If you are playing poker, you have to be ready to go "all in," no pun intended.

always a risk, but maybe the backup plan is to leave and

May 25, 2012, 10:13 AM

we are hoping we get something out of the ACC instead.

Could be, but I do believe plans are in place to exit

May 25, 2012, 10:18 AM

The competitive disadvantage that an extra 20 million a year in spending(as is the case with us and SCU) puts us in speaks volumes. Face it, we compete in recruiting against the SEC, not the ACC. Same with FSU. The majority of the ACC is isolated from SEC territory. Of the teams from NC to the north, only Penn St brings any football credibility. We're surrounded by in everywhere but the north. Eventually, we have to keep up or be relegated to 2nt tier status, wherever we are in a conference

and i think that's a real risk. but likely a calculated one.***

May 25, 2012, 10:43 AM [ in reply to So if we're bluffing, what if they call our bluff? ]

FAT TAX NOW!

BOTs don't play around with things like this. Wilkins' com-

May 25, 2012, 11:11 AM

ments were way too candid to be taken as a shot over the bow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

his comments are also non-commital. we can look around and

May 25, 2012, 11:19 AM

decide to stay put. i think his comments directly support my leverage theory. again, just my opinion.

FAT TAX NOW!

Strongly disagree. Leverage talk would be secret. You

May 25, 2012, 11:30 AM

don't involve the media when you're just seeking leverage. I do think FSU and Clemson were united in seeking more equitable distribution of the (lack of) wealth, but they were told no way. If this was for leverage, it was for leverage with the BigXII. I really think it was more a matter of letting Clemson fans know a deal is being hammered out and only if something messes it up for us will we stay in the putrid ACC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

maybe you're right. we'll see. i know i've packed up my

May 25, 2012, 11:37 AM

files and headed for the door many a time in a mediation setting. only to have the other side invite us to sit back down. i don't think there's anything at all unusual about using the leverage you've got. but you do have to be willing to leave. and that seems to be the case now. letting the media and fans in on it, only ups the ante and increases the leverage IMO. it shows we're serious.

FAT TAX NOW!

I would be proud if Clemson/FSU and the other football...

May 25, 2012, 10:10 AM

schools tore the power from its NC hub and saved the conference. I think the Carolina powers would not allow that to happen at any cost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only way for this to happen is to FIRE Swofford! His extreme

May 25, 2012, 10:50 AM

lack of vision as a leader has caused this mess!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think every option is on the table...

May 25, 2012, 10:12 AM

and this is one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

posturing for leverage in the ACC is akin to

May 25, 2012, 10:16 AM

the Yankees posturing for leverage in the AAA league.

I just don't understand how people can ignore the money involved and the stakes involved.

Ron Morris is applauding the ACC for sticking to their academic morals and their support of olympic sports over that of football yet it is football's money that allows these sports to survive.

If you want answers, follow the money. Anyone coming up with answers based on tradition, loyalty, etc... are fooling themselves.

People may not like it, but you are correct.***

May 25, 2012, 10:27 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

we will see who is correct. i have put my money where my

May 25, 2012, 10:44 AM

mouth is. ;)

FAT TAX NOW!

Kville, short of the ACC landing Notre Dame

May 25, 2012, 11:25 AM

what do you think they intend to do to make ACC football relevant enough to be included in the big picture b/c as it stands now, the acc is not relelvant and the other conferences are making adjustments to solidify their spots which in turn, puts more dirt on the ACC coffin.

I have YET to hear a pro-acc person explain what they think the acc can/will do to make us relevant in football.

Your thoughts?

go hard after ND and PSU, but that would take a concession

May 25, 2012, 11:35 AM

from the basketball schools to give the football schools, including clemson, a bigger slice of the pie. and it's water under the brige now, but the WV decision was a huge mistake.

now, can clemson and FSU actually sway the tobacco road folks on this? good question. and that's why i think we're seeing all this posturing going on right now. if the football schools leave, the ACC will be sunk. and they have to know that. the football schools just have to be resolute in their willingness to actually pull the trigger. the optimist would say that either outcome is better than what we are currently enjoying. either the ACC will get better or we'll leave for what we think will be greener pastures.

FAT TAX NOW!

Re: kville's official stance on realignment: we're not leaving

May 25, 2012, 11:19 AM

I think you're wrong. FSU and Clemson already made those demands at the ACC meetings but were told no. Even if they got all of their bowl money it wouldn't come close to making up the difference between the ACC and Big 12. We'd still be at a huge financial disadvantage to our in-state SEC rivals. It would also cause the non-football schools to get even weaker in football due to reduced budgets.

we'll see.***

May 25, 2012, 11:22 AM

FAT TAX NOW!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic