Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Report: Willie Taggart never signed a final contract w/ FSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Report: Willie Taggart never signed a final contract w/ FSU

Nov 25, 2019, 1:18 PM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Report: Willie Taggart never signed a final contract w/ FSU

Nov 25, 2019, 1:24 PM

https://247sports.com/Article/Florida-State-Football-Willie-Taggart-no-formal-contract-complicates-buyout-139202500/

Holy cow, what was his agent doing?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2019, 1:28 PM

If true, FSU’s AD should be fired too. How do you not have a signed contract for an employee that’s making millions? ?? show.

actually, no contract is adv to FSU

Nov 25, 2019, 1:43 PM

By lack of definition FSU has formally agreed to nothing salary or buyout wise, leaving themselves ultimate wiggle room. The only things that they can be held to is whatever is in the letter of agreement. This could ultimately save them millions. Taggart's agent lawyer just cost his client a lot of money as this will probably be settled similar to UK deal for half or less. The phrase "get all deals in writing or it doesnt exist" comes to mind.

Taggart will be lucky to get the followingbest case scenario:

FSU will say they didnt formally agree to terms of buyout so they dont have to pay, Taggart will argue he should get full contract cause no buyout clause was ever formalized, judge will say I see both sides well split 50/50. Costing him half of his buyout money.

Re: actually, no contract is adv to FSU

Nov 25, 2019, 1:48 PM

I would say you are likely right...if he doesn't get just jobbed outright.

Who does a multi-million dollar deal on a handshake? Especially when you're a football coach, and one they might someday soon want to fire?

Yeesh.

Nov 25, 2019, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Report: Willie Taggart never signed a final contract w/ FSU ]

I can see the South Carolina president reading this article.

And then immediately dragging out Muschump's contract to look for ANY technicality.

Nov 25, 2019, 2:17 PM

Assuming he can read, I would agree with you.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2019, 1:01 AM

It's not the University President that can't read.

It's all the little darlin's that wanna cry to daddy because he told them binge drinking could be detrimental to their health and safety.

Coot president be like

Nov 25, 2019, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Report: Willie Taggart never signed a final contract w/ FSU ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

so Taggart's agent/lawyer is as dumb as he is a coach

Nov 25, 2019, 1:25 PM

nm

Re: so Taggart's agent/lawyer is as dumb as he is a coach

Nov 25, 2019, 1:30 PM

I see a law suit in their future.

one thing is certain, his agent should be closing shop

Nov 25, 2019, 1:46 PM

soon as all the clients will be fleeing to other agents

If They Try To Hose Willie....Good Luck Ever Hiring Anyone

Nov 25, 2019, 1:37 PM

of Value. This situation tells you how screwed up AD is, if he cannot even get a contract done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If They Try To Hose Willie....Good Luck Ever Hiring Anyone

Nov 25, 2019, 1:46 PM

Don’t know, considering the past example of this being Kentucky basketball...they seem to be doing okay after doing it to their coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anyone of value would not work without a contract

Nov 25, 2019, 1:48 PM [ in reply to If They Try To Hose Willie....Good Luck Ever Hiring Anyone ]

spelling out what they are entitled to

Well, seeing as how the entire

Nov 25, 2019, 2:36 PM

Public domain had knowledge of his contract the intent therein, and said details were published time and again over several years with no retraction/challenge, I'd say this is much ado about nothing. Of course, it can't be said there's been a hard and fast commitment to ethics and integrity down in Tallahassee through the years, so, take a shot and see how the 'Nole reputation comes through the spin cycle.

I getya, im not saying its right, im saying what the lawyers

Nov 25, 2019, 2:51 PM

will do and say. Exhibit A is no further than the article referencing the Kentucky Bball situation. FSU lawyers can even point to this case as precedence. The buyout may have been mentioned in the agreement, but it appears the terms were not clearly defined.

Public domain may have the agreement, but apparently the whole point of the article is it didnt contain very important details which the lawyers will feast on.

Again, im not saying I agree or think it is fair, but I think FSU will most definitely head down this path integrity be ######.

They may not have a choice, imagine this scenario

Nov 25, 2019, 2:54 PM

Boosters agreeing to pay said buyout latch on to this and want FSU to challenge or they withdraw their donations. FSU then has to pay Taggart buyout out of their own pocket. What are they gonna do, unfire him?

Hey, go for it!

Nov 25, 2019, 2:58 PM

Nothing like shoveling dirt on your own grave.

as poster above mentioned UK bball seems to be ok

Nov 25, 2019, 3:00 PM

after they did the same thing

This is a non story

Nov 25, 2019, 3:07 PM

Willie’s agent is Jimmy Sexton. He’s the CFB version of Scott Boras and Drew Rosenhaus rolled into one. If there’s one person FSU can’t afford to #### off in a coaching search, it’s Jimmy Sexton.

thats true, didnt think of that***

Nov 25, 2019, 3:16 PM

Additionally:

Nov 25, 2019, 3:19 PM

FSU can’t publicly screw over their old coach with his buyout and expect to still be able to go after high profile targets to fill their open HC spots.

FSU can try to go the cheap route and not pay Willie his buyout, but it’s going to cost them dearly in the long run.

Nov 25, 2019, 3:12 PM

A contract is an understanding between two parties. I doubt that whether it was signed or not will have no bearing on the buyout since both parties knew what it entailed. I don't think FSU is getting out of this contract (or part of it) on a technicality. Taggart may agree o a lesser settlement, but I don't think it will be because of an unsigned contract.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2019, 6:51 PM

It sounds like Taggart might get what he deserves - ZERO! He sucked as a HC and did nothing more than make them worse. He should have to pay FSU.

Oh, come on...

Nov 25, 2019, 9:13 PM

Head coaching contracts are the result of expediency, impatience and egos. When coaches start getting shelved within two years of coming aboard, the cost is only going up. The schools bring it on themselves...coupled with fat-headed boosters playing power broker. Regardless how one feels about a coach, they're accepting the financial windfall, not creating it. Taggart doesn't owe FSU a bloody dime. He walked away from a good gig out west to follow his dream opportunity...essentially, risking his future in walking away from a good contract he already had. This is on FSU...and pre-dates Jimbo's exit, too. Of course, FSU has plenty of company...and it's a growing 'club'. For instance, let's see where aTm and Texas are next year if the records are similar to this.

Here's what I've heard about contracts

Nov 26, 2019, 1:17 AM

If a buyout was discussed and verbally agreed to by FSU officials & Taggart and/or his agent - whether a formal signing of a contract took place or not - legal precedent seems to say, "If Taggart chose to coach for nearly 2 years and the school ALLOWED him to coach, then both parties effectively had the agreement in place - with or without signatures." That would be advantage Taggart.

Two things: If FSU verbally agreed to a buyout, their only out would be to deny they made a verbal agreement and risk perjury. Also, if it became public that FSU's word was no good - who would agree to coach there? They would be labeled shabby, untrustworthy sharks whose word is worthless. An even worse mess than they've already got.

Re: Here's what I've heard about contracts

Nov 26, 2019, 7:18 AM

Yes I believe you are correct. They agreed on a salary, Taggert proceeded to coach, and the University paid that agreed salary. They have an implied contract and it is binding.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not saying they didnt agree to salary/buyout

Nov 26, 2019, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Here's what I've heard about contracts ]

they could freely admit that. What they could argue is the fine details and terms of the buyout were never specified and agreed to. (ie what defines for cause or not, what defines future employment that would end the buyout payments, etc..)

It would be a snake and dirty thing to do, but there is a reason some lawyers have the rep they do

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic