Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Addazio is to BC what Tommy Bowden was to Clemson!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Addazio is to BC what Tommy Bowden was to Clemson!

Dec 1, 2019, 8:11 PM

Prove me wrong!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Addazio is to BC what Tommy Bowden was to Clemson!

Dec 1, 2019, 8:14 PM

Did Addazio hire an upbeat wide receiver coach with a catchy nickname who's going to take over where he left off and lead them back to national prominance?

How many times did Addazio say "parity"

Dec 1, 2019, 8:25 PM

and how many times did he just say "we got beat by a better team"?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Addazio is to BC what Tommy Bowden was to Clemson! ]

Well, they named Rich Gunnell, their wide receivers coach as interim.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 8:29 PM

feraltyger said:

Prove me wrong!

Addazio made the best outcome given the limitations of BC football. My guess is they will regret this move. Totally different circumstances so you are clearly clueless

What limitations?

Dec 1, 2019, 8:42 PM

BC has been a top 15-20 team in the not too distant past. They were clearly better than us when Tommy was our coach and during the early part of Dabo’s tenure. I don’t see why they should settle for less than a top 25 team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: What limitations?

Dec 1, 2019, 9:36 PM

Dude you should really stick to defending your precious basketball coach because every time you talk about football you sound like you have no clue what you’re talking about.

BC was a top 20 team for a few years from 2005-2008. For one reason, Matt Ryan. He’s been gone for a while now. They were also decent with Doug Flutie for a few years and decent a few other years. Other than that, they are a subpar football school with zero tradition and zero facilities with zero fan support. They will never be a consistent top 25 team, no more than USuCk ever could be.

Comparing Boston College to Clemson is absolutely laughable when it comes to football. Steve Addazio never stood a chance there. Tommy Bowden had every resource available that Addazio could only dream of.

It’s laughable that you posted what you did.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:46 PM

The fact that you try to cover up your lack of knowledge by criticizing me shows just how pathetic you are.

Boston College has every right to expect to win more than 6-7 games per year. While they don’t have the same advantages Clemson does in terms of football history and fan support, they could certainly be the pre-eminent New England college football program. There is some good talent in Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, etc. It isn’t Florida, Texas, or California but it isn’t bad.

BC has had enough football success in the past for the right coach to convince recruits that they should consider BC. It’s a good school and their fans will support a good team.

They might not compete for national championships, but they are very capable of winning 9-10 games a year with the right coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Lol

Dec 1, 2019, 10:01 PM

Of coarse you would think that. This coming from the same guy who blows BB on the internet just because he beat newberry St Tech prep. Shocker you would think they could consistently win 9-10 games a year, but I lack knowledge? It will never happen. Even if Dabo and Nick Saban had a baby who has magic powers, and BC hired him. It still won’t happen. They can think a new hire will help them win more than 7 games a year consistently until the cows come home, just like USuCk does, but it won’t help anymore than keeping BB at Clemson as the basketball coach will. It won’t help.

It’s obvious from your posts that you aren’t a Clemson graduate

Dec 1, 2019, 10:41 PM

or even a college graduate at all.

Your ignorance is showing. I suggest you stop posting.

Re: Lol

Dec 1, 2019, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Lol ]

Maybe you were asleep in 4th grade when they went over tense in language arts...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s laughable that you posted what you did.

Dec 2, 2019, 1:07 AM [ in reply to It’s laughable that you posted what you did. ]

I believe that part of your defense of Coach Brownell was that he should be given some time now that facilities have been upgraded. BC recently upgraded their football facilities, which I believe were further behind than our basketball facilities. They opened their indoor practice facility summer of 2018. Should Addazio be afforded the same chances that Coach Brownell is getting?

I'm not sure that Addazio is the answer, but if they are going to move past him then I think that they should move past him. They need to spend the money to get a high end coach, and continue to pump more money into the program. I see no problem with a coaching change. However, if they want to pay at the low end for a P5 head coach and think that their latest upgrades are sufficient, then they should expect success similar to what they have had under Addazio. To expect more would not be realistic.

Re: It’s laughable that you posted what you did.

Dec 2, 2019, 9:43 PM [ in reply to It’s laughable that you posted what you did. ]

There is virtually no high school talent in the northeast, and if there is they go south (Christian Wilkens) or to the Big10 (PSU, MICH, OSU). This is why BU, UNH, VT, and UCONN aren't going to New Year's 6 bowls. Most of them have no football and if they do it's d2 or lower

Oh, and absolutely no one cares about college football up here (unless they attended football school's far from home like myself).

Dec 1, 2019, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Re: What limitations? ]

When did anyone compare Clemson and BC to each other? The OP said Addazio was to BC what Bowden was to Clemson.

Also, from 1999-2009 BC went 7-5 or better every year. The best record Addazio ever had was 7-5 which he did once while losing 6 or more games each other year at BC. In fact, BC won at least 9 games 6 times during that stretch.

That’s certainly not elite football results or anything, but it’s bizarre to see people saying they can’t do better than 44-44 overall and 22-34 in the ACC which is what Addazio’s record was.

Dec 1, 2019, 10:14 PM

Comparing the situation Bowden had at Clemson to the situation Addazio had at BC. That’s what’s laughable.

From 1999-2009 was the golden age of BC football, and they never even won 10 games in a season. Going 8-5 and even 9-4 for a few years in no way proves they can be a consistent top 25 team. Every team has an abnormal stretch in their history where they win more than normal or lose more than normal. To think BC can consistently win more than 7 games a year is a pipe dream, especially in today’s college football. I don’t care who’s coaching. Steve Adazzio is a hell of a coach.

Dec 1, 2019, 11:41 PM

Wrong again, they won 10 games in 06, and 11 games in 07. They’re never going to consistently win 10+ games per year, but their program has been good enough to expect better than 44-44, and 12 games under .500 in the ACC over a 6 year period.

BC was a top 25 program for at least a decade running

Dec 1, 2019, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: What limitations? ]

from Tom Obrien in the 90s to Jag for 2 years in 07 and 08. They had other periods of success before that as well with Doug Flute and such. Bc didn't fall off until Spaz took over in 09.

I think its fair for them to have top 25 aspirations until really proven otherwise.

Fun Fact: Spaz had a better ACC record than Addazio

Dec 1, 2019, 11:29 PM

BC can do better. Whether they will or not is a different question.

Re: Fun Fact: Spaz had a better ACC record than Addazio

Dec 2, 2019, 7:52 AM

In his last two seasons at BC, Spaz had 4 wins and 2 wins respectively.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 1, 2019, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Addazio is to BC what Tommy Bowden was to Clemson! ]

7 win seasons until this year when he won only 6. If that's "the best outcome" of an Addazio coached team why would BC not try to improve themselves?
I am indeed clueless...

The only difference is Bowden beat his rival, and BC has no rival***

Dec 1, 2019, 8:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

The only difference is Bowden beat his rival, and BC has no rival***

Dec 1, 2019, 8:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Dec 1, 2019, 8:36 PM

No.

Addazio is a great recruiter and defensive coach. He will be a great addition to another college or professional team.

TB was never a coach. He is what he is, but he is not a coach. Good judge of character, but he didn’t help Clemson until he left.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many give him credit for Spiller who set everything else

Dec 1, 2019, 8:48 PM

in motion. Respectfully disagree, but good point on his coaching abilities.

Re: Many give him credit for Spiller who set everything else

Dec 1, 2019, 8:56 PM

Dabo Was responsible for Spiller, I heard Spiller say it himself

Dec 1, 2019, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Addazio is to BC what Tommy Bowden was to Clemson! ]

How is he a great defensive coach? He’s always been an OL coach and was an OC before coming to BC.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:49 PM

He’s had successful defensive teams during his tenure. Check.

How is he a great defensive coach? He’s always been an OL coach and was an OC before coming to BC.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:58 PM

Lol not because of his coaching though. That’s like saying our defense has been so good the past several years because Dabo is a great defensive coach.

Dec 1, 2019, 11:19 PM

Do tell 03. Why is it the head coach of BC had above average defensive statistics during his tenure? Alum support, facilities, support staff?

Winning...

Lol not because of his coaching though. That’s like saying our defense has been so good the past several years because Dabo is a great defensive coach.

Dec 1, 2019, 11:36 PM

He had good assistant coaches on defense? Namely Brown who was his DC until he left for Michigan a few years ago.

Boston College was 123rd in total defense this year btw. They were 75th last year, and 53rd the year before that. Those are some really good above average stats. He had a good DC in Brown his first few years, and it’s gone down hill each year since he left.

Dec 2, 2019, 8:32 AM

No. 24th in 16, 23rd in 17 and 32nd in 18.

Those are above average not only for all of the reasons previously stated, but for FBS.

For the record, minus 2015, They were better after Brown for three consecutive years.

He had good assistant coaches on defense? Namely Brown who was his DC until he left for Michigan a few years ago.

Boston College was 123rd in total defense this year btw. They were 75th last year, and 53rd the year before that. Those are some really good above average stats. He had a good DC in Brown his first few years, and it’s gone down hill each year since he left.

Dec 1, 2019, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Addazio is to BC what Tommy Bowden was to Clemson! ]

There isn't a single correct statement in this post.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Dec 1, 2019, 8:38 PM

No offense, but not in the same stratosphere. BC has limited history, sub-standard facilities. And a shallow recruiting pool to draw from. I think this was a HUGE mistake, and outside of a few years that they had Ryan who has done better post-Flutie? They may make a great hire, but I see them wandering the wilderness after this move.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 8:41 PM

I actually could see Dabo bringing Addazio to our staff if we lose a coach. He is known as an excellent OL coach.

Yes, close to average, which sometimes ain't so bad....

Dec 1, 2019, 8:59 PM

I like Addazio, he'll be a plus wherever he lands.

I'm not convinced BC will do better.

Dec 1, 2019, 9:22 PM

2 years in a row he loses his starting QB (same one) did not help him and they were still bowl eligible both years.

I don't care who they get there to coach, they are won't be able to recruit at the level to be much better than a top 20 team. They will not get the quantities to have the depth needed.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2019, 9:28 PM

Wow. Now I’ve heard it all on this board.

So you’re comparing BCs football program to Clemsons? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigt.

Reading comprehension would do you well my friend.

Dec 1, 2019, 10:05 PM

Addazio's coaching stint at BC in comparison to Tommy Bowden's coaching tenure at Clemson. Sorry I don't have any crayons to draw that out for you.

Re: Reading comprehension would do you well my friend.

Dec 1, 2019, 10:21 PM

Lol. You people crack me up.

It’s kinda crazy I even have to explain this but oh well.

Addazio- no facilities. No fan support. No game day atmosphere. No recruiting landscape. No school support. No supporting coaching staff. No chance. Very good coaching ability.

Bowden- had all of the above except the coaching ability.

It’s really pretty easy to see how different their coaching stints were, really not even in the same stratosphere, but kudos for the question.

They have no chance of getting fan support or enough

Dec 1, 2019, 10:36 PM

donations for significant facilities upgrades with Addazio when hes made it abundantly clear over seven seasons that his ceiling as a coach there is 7-6 and 4-4 in the ACC.

Hes been there long enough, I can understand why they want a fresh start.

Dec 2, 2019, 8:16 AM

The reason Addazio is out is simple. Taggert, Satterfield, Clawson and even Les Miles.

When the ACC is as DOWN as it was combined with new coaches basically beating the 2nd most tenured coach, then there is a problem.

All roster/etc things aside, if there was a year for BC to get to 10 wins, this should have been the year. Everything save the ND/Clemson game should have been winnable for a 7-year coach if there was going to be a 10 win season. Rather, they might have been the second ugliest team outside of NC State. GT at least fought hard.

Very different.

Dec 2, 2019, 8:19 AM

Bowden was a better salesman who could get raises and extensions by lying about how Bama was going to hire him any minute.

Therefore, we had to suffer through more years of trauma than BC has.

Dec 2, 2019, 9:26 PM

To say Addazio was to BC what Bowden was to Clemson is nutty.

Addazio's teams never had one pre-season ranking and never ended up ranked. Bowden's Clemson teams were ranked 5x in the preseason and ended up ranked 4x. Bowden's teams won 3 bowl games while Addazio won 1 bowl game. Addazio ended up .500 at BC and 13-11 at Temple. Bowden was 72-45 at Clemson and 18-4 at Tulane, with the 1998 Green Wave ending up #7 in the country, quite an accomplishment. Tommy fell short of expectations, but perhaps his greatest Tiger achievement was recommending Dabo, who is quickly becoming one of the best coaches of all time. No contest. TB much better than SA.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic