Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let’s all be honest about Clemson and Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Let’s all be honest about Clemson and Basketball

Jan 31, 2021, 8:29 AM

The Clemson admin doesn’t care about basketball. That’s the only explanation at this point for 11 years of bottom half mediocrity + decades of the same results before Brownell. I don’t hold BB responsible anymore because there hasn’t ever been any commitment from Clemson. I only watch to support the kids who choose to play for us.

If they don’t care, why should any of us?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let’s all be honest about Clemson and Basketball

Jan 31, 2021, 9:22 AM

You may be right, but I think they do care about BB, but CBB is such a challenge. He is a great guy, he does things the right way, he represents Clemson well and we have glimpses of a good team just enough to keep him.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2021, 5:42 PM

That was Tommy Bowden after losing Rich Rod just enough to say give him 1 more year Some coaches have a ceiling they will never get beyond and BRAD LIKE BOWDEN are those kind of coaches I would not be surprised to see us defeat NC they do start two freshmen hope so

Feb 1, 2021, 7:03 PM

Moontiger said:

That was Tommy Bowden after losing Rich Rod just enough to say give him 1 more year Some coaches have a ceiling they will never get beyond and BRAD LIKE BOWDEN are those kind of coaches I would not be surprised to see us defeat NC they do start two freshmen hope so

My apologies but it is beyond idiotic to compare our football and basketball programs. Maybe compare out bball history with coot football?

Feb 1, 2021, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Let’s all be honest about Clemson and Basketball ]

Moontiger said:

My apologies but it is beyond idiotic to compare our football and basketball programs. Maybe compare out bball history with coot football?

Feb 1, 2021, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Let’s all be honest about Clemson and Basketball ]

Moontiger said:

Jan 31, 2021, 9:25 AM

I think they care about basketball, but find themselves in a tough spot.
First there is the buy out of Brad's contract should they decide to terminate him.
Second is who do they get to replace him.
Third, IMO, is what are the expectations for the program.
I have said it before I know we are not seen as a basketball school, but we do play in a pretty good basketball conference,Covid-19 or not. I have also while we can't expect to compete against Duke, UNC, and Virginia year in and year out, there is no reason we can't field a team that can compete against the other schools, even N.C. State.
The problem, again just my opinion is recruiting. Oh we can recruit "athletes", but are they "basketball" players? And do they fit the type of game we play.
And that is where the coaching staff comes in. I know nothing of the Assistant Coaches ability to recruit ,but Brad should know how to recruit ,again, "basketball players" ,not athletes.
I mean every school in the conference should be able to land at least one good "basketball player", don't you think?

When we’ve won in basketball it has usually been with gimmick schemes.

Jan 31, 2021, 10:16 AM

Barnes’ rough defense combined with mid-range shooting approach was something the blue bloods were not used to at the time. OP’s press worked until tournament time.

The only coach who won with straight up basketball was Cliff Ellis.

BB is decently average but I have never looked at one of his teams and said, “Ah. That’s what he’s trying to do. I see his system at work.”

OTOH, he’s won more NCAA tournament games with us than OP did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2021, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Let’s all be honest about Clemson and Basketball ]

When you look at the"recruitment" of top basketball players and the one and done rule it is probably the most underhanded sport in the country. We got put on probation for participating if you remember. If you run a completely clean program you don't get the top guys. Then look at UNC - no classes but nothing done because it would have touched Dean Smith, Remember Zion lock for Clemson oh btw it's duke.

So what kind of program do you want?

Actually, I think NOW we have some really GOOD players

Jan 31, 2021, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Let’s all be honest about Clemson and Basketball ]

Not going to name names but think about it ... we were doing GREAT pre-wuhan virus hiatus. These guys have DIGRESSED for some reason ... I do not know why. You would think you would get BETTER as the season goes on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actually, I think NOW we have some really GOOD players

Jan 31, 2021, 11:32 AM

Agree, but I can only speculate. They look completely lost out there. BB is definitely a better coach than this product.

Jan 31, 2021, 10:08 AM

Clemson has spent nearly $100 million on basketball facilities in the last 20 years. I know other schools have spent more but that it no small sum of money. That shows some commitment to the sport and does not support that nobody in the administration cares.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree.

Jan 31, 2021, 10:17 AM

Clemson’s athletic department cares about basketball more now than it ever has. The facility upgrades a few years ago, while not top of the line, represented a significant commitment for a school like Clemson who had never really invested in basketball.

That, plus giving Brownell contract extensions and also the budget to hire additional staff members he needed, showed that Clemson wants to do better.

Giving Brownell time to perform with these things in place was reasonable and fair. We have had some success since then both on the court (Sweet 16, multiple top 5 wins, beating UNC in Chapel Hill, etc.) as well as off the court (top 20 recruiting class, record academic performance by basketball players, etc.). These accomplishments shouldn’t be ignored here.

However, Brownell needs to produce more and I believe DRad knows it. To act like he doesn’t care is failing to understand the specifics and dynamics of the situation.

Let’s allow the season to play out and see where we end up. No decisions are going to be made now, nor should they be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I disagree.

Jan 31, 2021, 10:28 AM

Harrumph!!! Harrumph!!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Jan 31, 2021, 11:20 AM [ in reply to I disagree. ]

I see the upgrades recently as token improvements just to keep the money coming. It’s not full commitment. Look at football if you want to see full commitment.

Which is my point all along. Clemson is not committed to basketball and never had been. That seems to be ok for most...

Yes, continuing that support will be key.

Jan 31, 2021, 11:08 PM

Clemson hasn’t historically done more than throw scraps at basketball once every 15-20 years or so. That obviously isn’t a recipe for success.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 31, 2021, 10:01 PM [ in reply to I disagree. ]

That’s a reasonable stance. The problem for a lot of us is we have seen this for far too long. Bill Foster was a good guy and got us to the final 8 and sent a couple guys to the NBA. Cliff Ellis got us one ACC regular season banner and a few guys to the NBA. Barnes got us some level of respect and optimism. Brownell has done some good things. All these guys were ok guys and achieved some things. None could put it all together. I’m not sure more money helps. Commitment to excellence and not accepting less is a necessity. I think it’s the lack of banners in the arena more than the lack of money. Somehow to ever turn the corner you need to get one stellar talent per year for 5 years. I just don’t believe we have the talent level of the rest of the league over the last 11 years, much the last 55, since I really started following Clemson basketball. I’m not willing to accept probation to get there. I was here for Tates Locke and we have never fully recovered from that. My only answer is a revolution with some lightning in the bottle. You won’t get a championship level HC to come here (a la Spurrier) without massive money. It hurts to say but we likely just have to accept mid level results unless we were to somehow land in the SEC one day. Going to Littlejohn used to be fun and helped me get through the winter. I remember Derrick Johnson shutting down Phil Ford one night and beating David Thompson one time. We are no where near that point of being close to breaking the glass ceiling as we were then. I don’t see it anytime soon. Many feel that way. I don’t want to feel that way but the accumulated disappointments of 55 years are real. All that said, I agree that the year has to play out. We have to have a change of attitude and of heart, me included and basically it has to encompass the entire fan base and administration.

Jan 31, 2021, 10:39 AM

It's only a matter of time until the Clemson culture rises to the top.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic