Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Actual quote from an FGF post today. They are buying into
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 4,823

Actual quote from an FGF post today. They are buying into

Sep 16, 2019, 6:19 PM

the madness that Spurrier just abandoned them by choice, not because he was old and burnt out.

"This program had a chance to stay ahead of Clemson. The ol' ball sack shut it down."

Does anyone here think their program was actually ever ahead of ours? They have ONE DIVISION TITLE and an Epic butt whupping in that years SEC Championship game to show for their golden era of 2009-2013.

During that same time span, Clemson:

2009: Atlantic Division champs #24 Final AP ranking (Coots unranked)
2010: Coots #22 Final AP Ranking, Clemson unranked.
2011: Atlantic Division champs and ACC Champions #22 Final AP ranking, Coots at #9.
2012: Atlantic Division co-champs Chik-fil-a bowl winner over LSU. #11 Final AP ranking, Coots #8.
2013: Orange Bowl (BCS) Champion Final Ap ranking #8, Coots #4.

Each team had identical 11-2 records in 2012 and 2013, the "height" of their golden age.

I would say they had pulled temporarily ahead in 2010, but we immediately began to turn the tide again. Two of the major stars of those Coot teams were Devonte Holloman and Stephon Gilmore, who were Clemson recruits until the coaching change. That led to them winning the recruiting wars instate for awhile. But, as the records and rankings show, once was essentially a three year general recruiting run was over, so was the Coots success. They plummeted out of the rankings in 2014 like the Hindenberg, and have never been heard from again in final rankings.

So, if it helps them sleep better at night to think they were ahead of us as a program for a brief shining moment, well, that is all they have, so don't wake them up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actual quote from an FGF post today. They are buying into

Sep 16, 2019, 6:32 PM

I would say aside from being burnt out and "ready to retire", Spurrier could see the writing on the wall with what Dabo was building and wanted to get out while he was still ahead in the rivalry. He likely knew what he had already done at UsuC was as far as he could take them and that it was simply downhill from there...after all USuC has always been a place where coaches go to die.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier said it best

Sep 16, 2019, 6:38 PM

"We ain't no Clemson"

*somebody said it

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Sep 16, 2019, 6:39 PM

Their program has never ever been better than ours. A few good years does not make a program. The were, are now, and will forever be a crappy football program.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2019, 6:41 PM

Why do you even go over there and get concerned about what that delusional fan base thinks and writes. My blood pressure is high enough without trying to understand what their peabrains are thinking

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you do realize that you just asked...

Sep 16, 2019, 6:54 PM

"Does anyone really think they were ahead of us?"...

then to prove they were not ahead of us, you pointed out they beat us five years straight and ended the season ranked above us 4 of 5 years...

did i miss something?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rankings are subjective. I evidence todays CBS poll which

Sep 16, 2019, 7:04 PM

moved Bama ahead of us. That is why I look at actual hardware won, in which we had the edge during that stretch. Actual games won, 49-47 in their favor, but not much of a margin to claim "moving ahead as a program." And, that is as good as they EVER got. As another reply to this post said, their PROGRAM was not ahead of us, that is why they could not sustain their short term success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree...

Sep 16, 2019, 7:11 PM

Dabo may have been building something more sustainable... but you cannot argue what Spurrier did. He had Dabo's number, plain and simple.

There is no denying that.

I would say they were ahead of us, until Spurrier decided to hang it up. He is that good of a coach. Would they have stayed there? I don't think so, especially as Dabo continued to build.

But for that stretch, they were ahead.

LOL, can you imagine a coot...

Sep 16, 2019, 8:44 PM

letting you get by with claiming “ancient history” had any bearing? That’s all I ever heard when they talked about their 5-peat. Oh, dear Lord, let us please hand 10 on them... for their own benefit, to teach them humility.

Re: Things fell into place for them

Sep 16, 2019, 7:15 PM [ in reply to you do realize that you just asked... ]

Spurrier was never able to build UF part 2, but was sharp enough to win with what he had in the 11-2 seasons. Those teams resembled a Saban Bama team more than anything he had at UF. Even though he was a very good game day HC, he still lost a game each of those years they should have won. That was their best chance to win the SEC and possibly an NC. Also the game changed on him during that run and USCe had already hit the iceberg (good assistants were replaced by lesser assistants, recruiting tanked, etc.).

Dabo lost some battles, but eventually won the war. Lumpy may recruit better and work harder, but Spurrier is a better game day coach by accident than WM is on purpose.

I see 2.5 division champs, 1 conference champ and 1 BCS

Sep 17, 2019, 8:59 AM [ in reply to you do realize that you just asked... ]

win for Clemson. One division champ for SCAR, which was followed by an historic beatdown in the SEC championship game and a loss to FSU.

I see your point, but I believe he means (and agree) that DESPITE the win streak (which figured into the final rankings), we had a comparable win-loss record during that period and more to show for those 5 seasons. I think our record vs non-SCAR SEC teams during that period was better than theirs, too.

Sep 16, 2019, 7:17 PM

Spurrier could see that they were cycling out and we were cycling in. He was scared to death of what Dabo was doing up there.

Sep 16, 2019, 7:33 PM

We've always been their daddy?

Sep 16, 2019, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Actual quote from an FGF post today. They are buying into ]

Moore to the point, spurrier was afraid of what they were building in cootlumbia

Sep 16, 2019, 9:21 PM

Spurrier got old, too tired and realized he had enough at age 70. He was a cranky, old school guy and the times just passed him by. I think he saw what was happening to the program the last 2 years and decided it wouldn't be fair to the school or himself to continue. Now nothing gets in the way of his morning tee time.

Those of you who think Clemson's rise had anything to do with it just don't understand the Ol' Ball Coach.

Spurrier was the greatest coach USCe ever had. It's all downhill now.

I honestly think the Old Ball Sac would love to still be

Sep 17, 2019, 8:01 AM

coaching, but only as an Offensive Coordinator. The multitude of responsibilities of being the Head Ball Coach is what he was tired of.

Define "ahead of us"

Sep 17, 2019, 8:11 AM

They were certainly better than us. They kicked our ##### 5 years in a row and none of the games were even close. You could maybe argue we were the better team in 2013 but we committed 6 TOs and lost by double digits soooo... yeah.

Sep 17, 2019, 8:50 AM

They were clearly better 2010-2012. 2009 and 2013 we just wet the bed. 2013 hurts the worst, we absolutely gave it to them.

Sep 17, 2019, 8:54 AM

Yeah they were ahead of us for a short bit. Flash in the pan.

Sep 17, 2019, 8:55 AM

Don't fool yourselves. Spurrier could care less about what Clemson was doing. Clemson was not an SEC opponent. Clemson was just the team he could throw verbal jabs at and get a reaction from Dabo and his fan base. He left SC because he knew the program had peaked and he no longer had a shot to win the SEC. That was his goal. Spurrier was no recruiter. He relied on his staff for that. When it was obvious to him that his staff wasn't getting the talent he needed to win, he bailed. Spurrier had no interest in program building. Building a program to him was about winning enough games to make HS players want to play for him.

When the talent left for the NFL.....he left for UF.

Replies: 19
| visibility 4,823
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic