Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Accepting the holding penalty was beyond dumb.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Accepting the holding penalty was beyond dumb.

Oct 30, 2016, 1:27 AM

I know they made the 1st down anyway on 3rd and 23.

I'd take my chances on our gassed defense to just defend once instead of twice. That's just an extra chance of an automatic 1st down via Pass Interference.

Also not as much pressure on Francois as a 4th and 13 throw. But fortunately didn't matter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Accepting the holding penalty was beyond dumb.

Oct 30, 2016, 1:29 AM

Totally agree

Oct 30, 2016, 1:29 AM

I think he was trying to push them way out of field goal range. In 2010 FSU hit a game winner from like 60 yds to beat Clemson. All of their kickers seem like they can kick it from 70. It all worked out in the end

The only thing I can think of...

Oct 30, 2016, 1:30 AM

Is that they wanted them further out of fg range.

I woulda declined. But I'm just an armchair qb. They know more about football than I ever will.

~JKB

I guess but you have to complete a 4th and 13 to even

Oct 30, 2016, 1:32 AM

have a chance at a FG.

Who knows. They still converted the 3rd and 23 somehow. So whatever

Oct 30, 2016, 1:34 AM

I wondered about this too. Believe me, if we had lost, it would have been discussed repeatedly.

I had to step outside a moment when the penalty was accepted lol.

Oct 30, 2016, 1:36 AM

AT the risk of being called a negative nancy, I totally agree. That was a pretty big coaching error. At the time I thought perhaps it was some kind of dead ball penalty that we could not decline.

Oct 30, 2016, 1:38 AM

lolo.... Wasn't a coaching error.... it was a coaching decision..... it might not have been the decision that you would have made, but it wasn't an error.....

Oct 30, 2016, 8:28 AM

It seems to me that taking the penalty gave us just enough buffer so that even after completing a 24 yard pass, they were still at the edge of field goal range. Without the penalty they would have been in range and probably would have ended up kicking to force OT.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2016, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Accepting the holding penalty was beyond dumb. ]

It seems to me that taking the penalty gave us just enough buffer so that even after completing a 24 yard pass, they were still at the edge of field goal range. Without the penalty they would have been in range and probably would have ended up kicking to force OT.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2016, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Accepting the holding penalty was beyond dumb. ]

It was aggressive, Dabo was playing to win and not concede the FG. It was not a bad call because it WORKED.

Can you imagine how much we'd be killing BV for blitzing two men on 4th and forever if they'd converted a little dropoff in the flat to cook and he ran it for a TD? Instead, he's a genius with giant brass cojones.

This worked out. Phew

Oct 30, 2016, 8:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Accepting the holding penalty was beyond dumb. ]

It was aggressive, Dabo was playing to win and not concede the FG. It was not a bad call because it WORKED.

Can you imagine how much we'd be killing BV for blitzing two men on 4th and forever if they'd converted a little dropoff in the flat to cook and he ran it for a TD? Instead, he's a genius with giant brass cojones.

This worked out. Phew

This worked out. Phew

If we held them on that 3rd and a flag was thrown on 4th

Oct 30, 2016, 1:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Accepting the holding penalty was beyond dumb. ]

I would've considered toilet papering Dabo's house tonight.

But fortunately they threw a perfect strike for a first down.

It's easy to point this out after knowing it's unsuccessful.***

Oct 30, 2016, 1:36 AM

Everyone I was watching with thought we should decline b4

Oct 30, 2016, 1:38 AM

next play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No I was purely just thinking about pass interference

Oct 30, 2016, 1:39 AM [ in reply to It's easy to point this out after knowing it's unsuccessful.*** ]

That was their entire offense.

I'm pretty sure most of us questioned the call immediately

Oct 30, 2016, 1:40 AM [ in reply to It's easy to point this out after knowing it's unsuccessful.*** ]

It's not like we are questioning after the fact. It turns out that it didn't matter since they gained 24 yards on the 3rd and 23 play, but it was a pretty obvious call.

Both Herbie and Fowler questioned it as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2016, 1:37 AM

The game is over right????

I was frustrated too, then I realized I was wrong..

Oct 30, 2016, 1:39 AM

Clearly a good idea to push them farther away from a field goal that would tie the game. It worked.........again!

They weren't I'm field goal range at the time

Oct 30, 2016, 1:44 AM

It was only after the 24 yard completion that they reached the outside of Aguoyo's max range.

Besides, it wouldn't have mattered because it would have been 4th down so they wouldn't have had a chance to kick the field goal without getting the first down. Without the first down the game would be over after a turnover on downs.

Luckily they ended up turning it over on downs anyway following their subsequent first down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good points.

Oct 30, 2016, 8:19 AM

I stand corrected.

The game is still over and the penalty still doesn't matter!

Oct 30, 2016, 8:47 AM

Nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic