Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Regarding the super bowl performers - surely those folks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Regarding the super bowl performers - surely those folks

Feb 4, 2019, 12:47 PM

aren't actually popular among young folks these days? If so, God help us all...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They HAD to be paying the people who were........

Feb 4, 2019, 12:52 PM

screaming and going wild. Otherwise, it would have been a total bomb of a performance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would have been mildly entertaining if Sponge Bob had

Feb 4, 2019, 12:54 PM

appeared.

Absolutely the worst Super Bowl halftime I can ever

Feb 4, 2019, 12:56 PM

remembered.

Re: Regarding the super bowl performers - surely those folks

Feb 4, 2019, 1:01 PM

OutKast was formed in 1992 and peaked in the late 90s-early2000s.

I don't know much about Maroon 5 but the band was originally formed in 1994.

Travis Scott is the only one that could be considered new music, and he signed a major-label deal back in 2012. Very popular and he's also engaged to Kim Kardashian's sister, which bumps it up to a higher level of celebrity, I suppose.

I see I'm the only one who tried to actually answer the question

Feb 4, 2019, 1:03 PM

and got a TD for it.

Well, last night I mouthed off about talent, anything for regular music listeners, etc...

Feb 4, 2019, 1:10 PM

and got mixed responses & a TD or two.

My question was: WHO chooses the half-time entertainment for major sporting events since it seens so many entertainers are way out & appeal to people under 30..imho.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't really watch the halftime show but I heard it was not so good***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:12 PM

Re: Well, last night I mouthed off about talent, anything for regular music listeners, etc...

Feb 4, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Well, last night I mouthed off about talent, anything for regular music listeners, etc... ]

https://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/heres-how-the-nfl-chooses-the-super-bowl-halftime-performers.html/

I've been to all of Clemson's playoff and Championship games

Feb 4, 2019, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Well, last night I mouthed off about talent, anything for regular music listeners, etc... ]

Dan Fogerty played at halftime of the Orange Bowl game against Oklahoma. Good show although most of the younger folks in the crowd had no idea who he was.

Eric Church performed the pre-game concert prior to the 2015 National Championship game in Phoenix. Never was a big Eric Church fan but he put on a good show.

Dierks Bentley performed the pre-game concert prior to the 2016 National Championship game in Tampa. Never was a big Dirks Bentley fan either but he also put on a pretty good show.

Keith Urban performed the pre-game concert prior to the 2018 National Championship game in Santa Clara. Really good show.

I don't remember who, if anyone, played before or at halftime of the semi-final games at the Fiesta Bowl, the Sugur Bowl or the Cotton Bowl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Don't feel like the lone ranger. I've gotten several TDs

Feb 4, 2019, 2:05 PM [ in reply to I see I'm the only one who tried to actually answer the question ]

for half-time comments. Don't forget that the people who actually listen to this crap are the "tolerant" generation, as long as you completely agree with them.

That just sounds like people in general***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:51 PM

Re: Don't feel like the lone ranger. I've gotten several TDs

Feb 4, 2019, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Don't feel like the lone ranger. I've gotten several TDs ]

So it's "crap" if you don't agree with it?? Really?

I decided to be nice & give you a TU for answering!!

Feb 4, 2019, 3:21 PM [ in reply to I see I'm the only one who tried to actually answer the question ]

Still a pretty pitiful performance though!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never said it was good***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:43 PM

Outkast is the greatest hip-hop duo of all time

Feb 5, 2019, 12:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Regarding the super bowl performers - surely those folks ]

and arguably Atlanta's most successful natice musical artist both critically & commercially ever.

They created an entire sub-genre of hip-hop music, and paved the road for countless southern rappers after them (although I do admit that most of what's out there now is garbage)

Getting Andre & Big Boi back tohether for halftime would have been an amazing thing, amd would have been a million times better than what we saw last night

Most of what's out there has always been garbage

Feb 5, 2019, 12:35 AM

Sturgeon's Law
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

^^^Tiger­Net old white man***

Feb 4, 2019, 1:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

^^^ Not that there's anything wrong with that! ^^^***

Feb 4, 2019, 3:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently, old white men can recognize good music better

Feb 4, 2019, 3:23 PM [ in reply to ^^^Tiger­Net old white man*** ]

than young white men!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They failed to recognize blues, jazz and rock&roll

Feb 4, 2019, 3:42 PM

Blues

"...no music has been subject to more controversy and more censorship than the blues. In its various guises through time, as boogie-woogie, as R&B, as British blues and as rock'n'roll, the blues has been accused of corrupting the young, encouraging sexual depravity and inciting murder."

"The controversial issues of sex and death, often themes in blues songs, added fuel to the fire of those who wished to ban the blues. Few artists faced as much bigotry and censorship as Billie Holiday. As well as being both female and black, Holiday's tough upbringing resulted in a dark songbook with distressing lyrics that white America wasn’t ready to hear."

"In the post-war early days of R&B, it wasn’t the lyrics that were causing the most offence, but the beat. A pulsating and repetitive sexual beat. Conservatives railed against the vulgarity of what one referred to as the 'animalistic obscenity of negro rock’n’rollers'. Other slurs referred to beats coming from the jungle and encouraging the self-expression of young people through sex."

Jazz

"Jazz's popularity grows, and as it attracts a wider audience, so do campaigns to censor this 'devil's music.' Early detractors like Thomas Edison, inventor of the phonograph, ridicule jazz, saying it sounds better played backwards. A Cincinnati home for expectant mothers wins an injunction to prevent construction of a neighboring theater where jazz will be played, convincing a court that the music is dangerous to fetuses. By the end of the 1920s, at least 60 communities across the nation enact laws prohibiting jazz in public dance halls."

"Before jazz emerged, many music educators - worried that jazz would destroy young people's interest in classical music - tried to convince the public that European classical music was the only 'good music.' 'One day I was in a practice room supposedly practicing classical music, but I was playing some jazz and, I guess my professor heard me because he opened the door and looked in and said, "stop playing that trash,"' remembers jazz musician Marian McPartland."

Rock

"Rock and roll sent shockwaves across America. A generation of young teenagers collectively rebelled against the music their parents loved. In general, the older generation loathed rock and roll. Appalled by the new styles of dance the movement evoked, churches proclaimed it Satan's music.

Because rock and roll originated among the lower classes and a segregated ethnic group, many middle-class whites thought it was tasteless. Rock and roll records were banned from many radio stations and hundreds of schools."

"Rock and roll is the most brutal, ugly, degenerate, vicious form of expression - lewd, sly, in plain fact, dirty - a rancid-smelling aphrodisiac and the martial music of every side-burned delinquent on the face of the earth."
– Frank Sinatra, 1957

I beg your pardon.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:23 PM

I listen to music from the 20s, 30s...all the way to the 2000s. I like everything from raunchy blues to Sinatra and onto Tupac.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People who were old men when the music was relatively new

Feb 5, 2019, 12:06 AM

Anything that already existed when you were growing up is different.

If you're more open-minded than the average bear, that's commendable.

I was referring to "old white men" of today, not of the 1950's

Feb 4, 2019, 11:59 PM [ in reply to They failed to recognize blues, jazz and rock&roll ]

You know, the ones that prefer blues and rock of the 60's and 70's, over what is popular today!

I was gonna write something but I'll just link this

Feb 5, 2019, 12:12 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Thats-exactly-how-my-grandparents-felt-about-my-25030608#25030608

Re: Apparently, old white men can recognize good music better

Feb 4, 2019, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Apparently, old white men can recognize good music better ]

Huh?? Ever hear of the Clovers, the Charms, the Drifters, the Midnighters, Jerry Lee Lewis, BB king, or Elvis Presley? Hello?

There are a few good modern day bands, like the Avett Brothers,

Feb 4, 2019, 3:32 PM

from up the road in Concord, NC. Would put any recent Superbowl performers to shame!

https://youtu.be/IIgML7gUJ_s

https://youtu.be/RhEn2nnRcNo

There's a lot of good music being made in every genre

Feb 4, 2019, 3:41 PM

You just have to be willing to dig deeper than what makes it onto the radio and TV.

Re: There's a lot of good music being made in every genre

Feb 4, 2019, 3:45 PM

You are right about that! And most popular certainly doesn't necessarily mean most talented!

Another talented young sibling duo, from GA. Larkin Poe

Feb 4, 2019, 3:57 PM [ in reply to There's a lot of good music being made in every genre ]

https://youtu.be/dGEjbJkxFhs

Feb 4, 2019, 3:47 PM

Honestly, I didn't watch any of it, but heard that the half-time entertainment was awful. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of professional football, never watch it. Never care who wins the super bowl. Bunch of over-paid blowhards.

Feb 4, 2019, 4:06 PM

"Satan?" Oh gee, that's original! Oh heavens, I'm so shocked! Heavens, that means the devil, Lucifer. Beelzebub! That means that these guys whose band probably formed in some parents' garage, think that this is going to actually going to shock someone. Hey dudes, if any of you actually graduated from HS, you might have figured out by now that there isn't any Satan----doesn't exist except in your fervent desire to achieve some sort of musical success, which I hear you richly don't deserve. Why don't you call yourselves "bananas or milk toast?" More appropriate.

Feb 4, 2019, 4:15 PM

That's exactly how my grandparents felt about my...

Feb 4, 2019, 11:20 PM

parent's music and how every generation felt about the music of the next gen. Long hair, short hair, long hair, short hair. My goodness, somebody has to let it go and realize their time is passed and a new generation is coming on strong.

Be ye consoled, when the next gen of music happens the askwholes who are torturing you and me will get their just rewards. Just try to live long enough to enjoy it when it happens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 11:52 PM

The Eagles or Dave Matthews Band for me.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maroon 5 was playing songs from 2005 & Big Boi

Feb 5, 2019, 12:35 AM

Was playing his only OutKast hit (2003) that didnt feature Andre 3000. I have no idea who the other dude was. Epic Failure as was the game. The game was trash. The commercials were terrible also

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic