Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Obed or other tell me about lifetime vehicle warrantries
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 375

Obed or other tell me about lifetime vehicle warrantries

Jan 13, 2021, 1:17 PM

That say they cover engine/transmission.

pls

1 TU per response will be awarded

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My 2 pesos:

Jan 13, 2021, 1:22 PM

1. Lifetime probably means for the life of YOUR ownership...meaning not transferrable if sold.
2. Proceed with caution. Read the fine print. Sounds too good to be true.

Warranties are not made to be used, assuming you are dealing with a for-profit company.

Take whatever the premium is and put it in an easy access

Jan 13, 2021, 1:23 PM

“Hi” yield easy access savings account like Capital 1 or American Express and if you need it you will have the money to fix it, if you don’t you have the downpayment on the next car.

This strategy only works if you start putting it away while it is still under the manufacturer’s warranty so you have enough built up for when it fails 27 miles after that one runs out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Ok, here you go.....

Jan 13, 2021, 1:23 PM

MOST, not all, require that you have all your oil changes and services done, on time and by the book, at the dealer you buy the car from. Go 4k miles when they say the interval is 3k? null and void. Change it yourself at home to save a few bucks and do it right? Null and void.

Now, some of them are a little more open with where you can have the work done, but the one thing they all have in common is that lifetime isn't really an accurate term. The warranty is good until the price of the repair exceeds the value of the car. So if you drive a truck until the wheels fall off, and 15 years from now that Ecoboost grenades itself, if they say your truck is worth $5k and a new engine is $8k, they're handing you a check for $5k and ending the relationship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cool, I was wondering that....I'ma dig in and see if I can

Jan 13, 2021, 1:46 PM

find it on their site.

To build on what the expert said, I had some

Jan 13, 2021, 3:51 PM

Family Plan and warranty mess with Fred Anderson Toyota. They tried to bust my balls about the cabin air filter one time and started yapping about voiding stuff. This experience, along with them not rotating the tires during on oil change means I'll never do any business with any Fred Anderson Toyota place again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About 25 years ago

Jan 13, 2021, 1:25 PM

I decided to never get a warranty on anything other than work computers.

I'm way ahead and can afford to fix anything that might be under warranty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do not buy any additional warranties

Jan 13, 2021, 1:41 PM

you are just lining the pockets of the owner of the business.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I was not talking about buying a warranty

Jan 13, 2021, 1:45 PM

I was talking about some dealerships include a lifetime powertrain warranty. You can't remove it from the price and the price isn't listed.

you are lining his pockets. everything is negotiable.***

Jan 13, 2021, 1:47 PM

If I am lining his pockets, than they must have taken it out

Jan 13, 2021, 1:49 PM

B/c I've been told no about 27 times thus far.

So, it is not on the sticker at all?

Jan 13, 2021, 2:10 PM [ in reply to No, I was not talking about buying a warranty ]

just "here's your warranty" card?

Is it transferable? Does it cover 100% - labor and parts?

Probably just a sales scheme with no real value or true cost to the dealership. How many powertrains go out?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kicker may be - you have to have them do all the maintenance

Jan 13, 2021, 2:14 PM

for the warranty to be valid.

May be, somewhere I heard a roundabout number of it cost

Jan 13, 2021, 3:08 PM

$500 for them to offer these warrantries.

I don't know what percent, guess about 10% of dealers do this???Maybe less.

Total value to me may be $0 if I could read the specifics and it says maintenance must be performed at a certified FORD dealer. Or if everything including air filters must be replaced by the dealer....

My dad's most valuable asset is the

Jan 13, 2021, 3:45 PM

non-transferable lifetime warranty on his 2008 Chrysler v6 base model 300.

It has right around 300K miles on it and he has never put a dime into it (except for tires, batteries, and wiper blades).

The most recent "warranty repair" was getting a new oil pan because the oil has been changed so many times that the drain plug threads pulled out.

As a miserly accountant, he takes great pride in this.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

DaddyAdidas sounds like a good man***

Jan 13, 2021, 3:47 PM

Yup, look up^^^

Jan 13, 2021, 3:50 PM [ in reply to My dad's most valuable asset is the ]

Chrysler was one of the ones I was thinking of.....it used to be a good deal and I’m sure he’s made out like a bandit, but when something happens thats a substantial expense, they’re just going to cut him a check for the blue book value of the car and call it a day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They've tried to buy it from him over and over.

Jan 13, 2021, 3:52 PM

He always says, "whelp, will the new car come with the same warranty?"

"nope."

"Well, I think I'll stick with this one then... it literally costs me nothing to own."

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Replies: 17
| visibility 375
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic