Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
AP Top 5 - who's beating winners, who's beating losers...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

AP Top 5 - who's beating winners, who's beating losers...

Oct 16, 2016, 6:31 PM

Being 7 weeks into the schedule, all Power 5 teams have started their conference play and the picture of who is a good/mediocre/bad team is becoming a little clearer. Two weeks ago, I posted a synopsis of the AP top 7 teams and the quality of opponents they were beating ( http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20164714#20164714). Here is an update as of yesterday of the new AP top 5:

Alabama is 7-0; whose defeated teams combined record is 26-21
Ohio State is 6-0; whose defeated teams combined record is 18-20
Michigan is 6-0; whose defeated teams combined record is 21-18
Clemson is 7-0; whose defeated teams combined record is 27-15
Washington is 6-0; whose defeated teams combined record is 16-24

A further breakdown shows that:
Alabama has beaten 4 teams with winning records, 2 teams with even records, and 1 team with a losing record
Ohio State has beaten 3 teams with a winning record, 1 team with an even record, and 2 teams with losing records
Michigan has beaten 3 teams with winning records, 1 team with an even record, and 2 teams with losing records
Clemson has beaten 5 teams with winning records, 1 team with an even record, and 1 team with a losing record
Washington has beaten 2 teams with a winning record and 4 teams with losing records

Looking at this, all teams in the AP top 5 have now beaten more winning teams than losing teams with the exception of Washington. Clemson has beaten the most winning teams with Alabama having beaten the second most number of winning teams. Interestingly, the only teams with losing records that both Clemson and Alabama have played are FCS schools (SC State, and Kent State). Turns out that Clemson's wins over Auburn (4-2) and Troy (5-1) were quality wins after all.

The majority of Washington's opponents thus far have horrendous records (four of their six opponents only have 2 wins) - I'm not convinced at this point that Washington is as good as their overall record indicates. The Washington vs Utah game will be an interesting game to watch in a couple of weeks. The PAC-12 really looks like a frenzy of average to good teams with no really dominate great teams (reminds me of the ACC Coastal Division).

If I were ranking these teams I would have:
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Michigan
4. Ohio State
5. Washington

I give the nod to Alabama as #1 - they have looked dominate in all of their games regardless of who they have played.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just asked for this, thank you!

Oct 16, 2016, 6:34 PM

+1

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You da man and need more thumbs up +1 from me***

Oct 16, 2016, 6:42 PM

good stuff- Keep winning, Tigers!***

Oct 16, 2016, 6:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AP Top 5 - who's beating winners, who's beating losers...

Oct 16, 2016, 7:00 PM

Great Post

Thank you for this!! Bunch of pansy "fans" and I use the word

Oct 16, 2016, 7:05 PM

lightly that seem to think we lost to Troy Auburn Louisville and NCSU. They use it as reason we are ranked #4 when we are beating superior teams to anyone that the teams ahead of us has played. Wisconsin is simply not that good and have nothing that jumps out as being an above average team. LSU stinks this year, win is not so big now. Michigan struggled to win and OSU needed OT to get them albeit on the road. NCSU played great, we played well but our execution of handling the football leaves much to be desired.

If we take care of the football better, the remainder of the year becomes warm ups for the playoffs. Hard to believe with 4 losses isn't it according to some posters here. We have struggled for sure but almost entirely because of ball security yet we still WIN

Why don't you shoot this off to ESPN

Oct 16, 2016, 7:06 PM

Let 'em chew on the facts.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson is in the hunt. Just keeping working and who knows,

Oct 16, 2016, 7:09 PM

we may yet have a better run than last year.

It's amazingly hard to accomplish a NC. But one thing is for sure. You can't lose and do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 7:36 PM

Great stuff! Thanks. +1

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 7:39 PM

There you go again...confusing the pundits with facts! Thanks for posting this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nice post I couldn't agree more***

Oct 16, 2016, 7:46 PM

Oct 16, 2016, 7:57 PM

Thank goodness you compiled this analysis before we play USuck:) Our opponent team losses will skyrocket after this.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2016, 10:34 PM

Great job. I posted something similar. A very slimmed down version. I should've read your post first. Great work! You did your homework on this post.

Go Tigers!

Kent State isn't FCS, they're in the MAC.***

Oct 16, 2016, 10:43 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: AP Top 5 - who's beating winners THANKS for the POST!

Oct 17, 2016, 1:11 AM

Great post..
GO TIGERS!!!
:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2016, 1:43 PM

I agree. Alabama is # 1 until they lose. As defending National Champs they deserve it until they have a loss. And I am no Alabama Fan but their ex-players sure make great Clemson coaches - Frank, Danny & Dabo

Oct 17, 2016, 4:51 PM

+1 It sure puts a light on just how bias the AP voters really are. It also shows that Michigan didn't have to do nothing to get move ahead of Clemson. Even tho Clemson won, they were penalised bc we didn't win in regulation time of 4 quarters. The voters counted the NCST game as almost lost, even tho it was a win. And they moved Michigan up just by staying at home and not playing anybody. That shows just how bad the majority of the voters wanted to see Michigan ahead of us. I sure wish that something would come along where humans wouldn't have any say so in the rankings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

http://www.colleyrankings.com/

Oct 17, 2016, 4:57 PM

Save your self some effort. That's exactly how this Colley rankings work.

http://www.colleyrankings.com/

Thanks, I'm bookmarking that.

Oct 17, 2016, 5:03 PM

And looky there, Troy is in there but not Ole Miss. Looks like a more sane ranking to me than AP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic