Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC finishes 5th in Power Rankings (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

ACC finishes 5th in Power Rankings (link)

Jan 10, 2013, 6:44 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/59604/sec-finishes-atop-football-power-rankings-2

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No earthshattering news here, as most Clemson folks

Jan 10, 2013, 6:52 AM

recognize the success of the SEC and of other conferences. A significant fact in the report cited an increase in what I'd call confidence in the ACC. However, I prefer to focus on the accomplishments of each team, and as far as our state is concerned, both Clemson and S.C. made great strides this year with one glaring difference: we ride on our OWN coattails.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No earthshattering news here, as most Clemson folks

Jan 10, 2013, 7:41 AM

The article cited the fact that the SEC occupies half of the AP Top 10 and that the SEC won 6 bowls. Carolina finished in the AP Top 10 and won a bowl. I don't know how that can be interpreted as not riding on our own coattails. Yes, we are pleased with the continued success of the SEC and love being in that conference. And yes, we are happy to cash the checks generated by the SEC. And yes, we will be giddy over the new SEC TV deals that will be announced by this Spring along with the accompanying huge pay raise. If that's riding on the SEC coattails, then we plead guilty.

By the way, Carolina is one of only 4 schools to finish in the Top 10, each of the past 2 seasons. The others are Alabama, Oregon and Stanford.

Good morning, Neilly....Frankly, your perspective is

Jan 10, 2013, 8:20 AM

reasonable, as are many of your posts. I like reasonable people and enjoy the old to and fro. The difference is the fact that Clemson has generally had to consider its own successes or failures due to the level of play within the ACC, and that's what I mean by "coattails." No one denies S.C.'s successes, and honestly, joining the SEC was a good move. Yet, even considering our affiliation, I don't believe for a second that our alignment will be a hindrance should we attain great success for a simple reason: we've been there before, and though 30+ years ago, we still have that NC trophy...and sports writers and coaches know it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good morning, Neilly....Frankly, your perspective is

Jan 10, 2013, 8:25 AM

You have a good team coming back and shouhd, rightfully so, be excited about next year. The game between us in November will probably pit 2 Top 10 teams, probably for the first time ever. Get your tickets now.

LOL...Funny, we haven't even enjoyed Spring and Summer,

Jan 10, 2013, 8:33 AM

and I'll be d@mned if we're not carrying on about the game next November! And I believe you are on to something: GET THEM TICKETS FOLKS!!!

hartins

Jan 10, 2013, 7:33 AM

You guys amaze me. The coots have beat us 4 in a row and I didn't see any other SEC teams players on the sideline or in the game. This coat tail crap needs to stop. The SEC's 5 or6 th rated teams consistantly beats our champions year after year. We win a bowl game against a 5 or 6th rated team in the SEC and now we are on par? I know... So. Cal. was suppose to win the NC too. Just the facts.

TigerLow...I never said that we are on par with anyone;

Jan 10, 2013, 7:55 AM

rather, that Clemson looks to its own successes and failures to judge our level of accomplishment. The Gamecocks can indeed point to the last four years of wins against us and be proud...and I would give kudos to them for those successes. However, if we're going to look at the past four years, then we must, also, look at the rest of the history...and we know what that has been. There are considerable numbers of Gamecock fans who do point to the SEC successes and crow mightily, perhaps, as well they should. Yet, Clemson learned many years ago to ride its own coattails and let our own records speak for themselves.

I will give Steve Spurrier credit, for like him or not, he has been successful developing S.C.'s program. But, I've been around too long to understand that the Clemson folks have no intention of sitting still and allowing the rivalry to turn in S.C.'s favor. And the oddity of that statement is this: Die-hard, long-serving Clemson fans know it; die-hard, long-serving S.C. fans know it...and the same S.C. fans know that we know it. And that's precisely why I heard a rumbling in Columbia yesterday afternoon after Tajh"s announcement from Gamecocks fans that I know: their reaction:

"OH SH!T............"

Message was edited by: hartins®

Re: TigerLow...I never said that we are on par with anyone;

Jan 10, 2013, 8:17 AM

The "rumbling" you might have heard is amusement. How else to explain the reaction of the expected return of a QB who is 0-3 against Carolina, completed less than 50% of his passing attempts, thrown more interceptions than TDs and run for negative yardage against Carolina?

LOL....And those Gamecocks' comments were not

Jan 10, 2013, 8:25 AM

about what we might have done, but rather what they think we may be capable of in the near future. Of course, I quickly asked them if we could borrow Clowney for a few games next year! They wouldn't agree....

Re: LOL....And those Gamecocks' comments were not

Jan 10, 2013, 8:29 AM

That is a good question. Who would I want to borrow from Clemson next season? Probably one of your LBs, since that will be the only spot we need rebuilding. I know there are some more highly rated out of high school on your team. But I really like Shuey.

I'm not greedy....I'll take Clowney, Sanders, Ellington,

Jan 10, 2013, 8:36 AM

Davis, both QB's...even a few others. We'll even give em fake names. LOL

So you wouldn't take TB over banjo boy ?? LOL you wouldn't

Jan 10, 2013, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: LOL....And those Gamecocks' comments were not ]

want Sammy on your team? Puhhhleeeeze

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good post***

Jan 10, 2013, 8:28 AM [ in reply to TigerLow...I never said that we are on par with anyone; ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hartins

Jan 10, 2013, 8:32 AM

You might be the most inteliigent poster here. You argue with class and realistic facts...kudos...

Thank you, however, I must admit to my mental frailties,

Jan 10, 2013, 8:39 AM

for most of you are quite informed and reasonable in your posts...while I try to hurry along in order to partake of breakfast. Thus, you folks deserve kudos for your tenacity, while I probably deserve a swift kick in the rear! LOL

Message was edited by: hartins®

I've posted this before, but when Alabama alone is

Jan 10, 2013, 9:12 AM

3 of the last 4 of these "SEC National Championships," at some point you have to stop talking about their stupid conference and talk about the program--clearly heads and shoulders above everyone else, even in the Mighty SEC, at this point.

Also, HOW IS THE ACC WORSE THAN THE BIG 10?!?! OSU and Penn State are on probation so they shouldn't factor in, and your league champion is UNRANKED. Not to mention Northwestern had the biggest bowl win (of a whopping 2).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic