Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A thought about the transfer portal.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,542

A thought about the transfer portal.

Jan 10, 2021, 4:36 PM

I haven't posted much here since the shocking loss to Ohio State. Y'all don't need an outsider offering advice or consolation or criticism. I'll wait till some time next week to give you my analysis of the game and the state of the Clemson program. Hint: I fully expect Clemson to be in the Final Four next year.

I have seen a few threads about whether or not Clemson should be more active in the transfer portal.

Look at two schools - FSU and Clemson. Two teams on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to talent.

FSU, by necessity, has to be active in the portal. We need so much help in so many positions that we can't rebuild through the HS recruiting method alone and expect to even be competitive next year, or even the year after.

Norvell understands that and he is going whole hog into the portal.

Another thread on hear mentioned that one player from the coots transferred to FSU. Well, another one transferred today. Kier Thomas, DL, and Jammie Robinson, DB, are now Noles. We also got a RB from Auburn yesterday.

That gives us 7 picks up through the portal. Those guys will make us better, but there is no way they are the equivalent of a top 10 recruiting class.

The point is, Clemson is so talented and so deep they don't need transfers. They only reason to pick up a guy in the portal is if you think he can bring immediate help. (Or maybe a freshman who just realizes he made a bad mistake and wants to correct it.)

Example: Clemson is lacking at DB talent. Anybody think Jammie Robinson would start if he transferred to Clemson?

Norvell is recruiting to save his job. He knows that he can't win 3 games next year and 4 the next and still have his job.

He also need numbers. This year transfers don't count against the 25 limit. We had so many people leave or otherwise quit that this is how much turnover there will be next year:

When August practices start in 2021, over 70% of the players on scholarship were not on scholarship in August of 2020.

I'm not saying never use the portal. Just like I'm not saying never recruit a JUCO. Just saying that those two methods, if used regularly, are the sign of a weak program not a strong one.

Now, wouldn't you love to throw it in some coot's face if the two guys who transferred form Columbia to Tallahassee turned into great palyers?

Message was edited by: bretfsu®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This Leads To A Question

Jan 10, 2021, 5:36 PM

Don’t transfers count in your recruiting numbers for a given year? I thought you were limited to around 25 a year. That being the case, you couldn’t go whole hog in the portal if you expect to have a freshman class and build for the future.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This Leads To A Question

Jan 10, 2021, 6:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that for at least this year, the transfer portal counts against you 85 total, but not against your 25 per year.

Re: A thought about the transfer portal.

Jan 10, 2021, 5:59 PM

Ohio State’s two best players in the sugar bowl came from the transfer portal. Fields and Sermon. Plus their top 5 recruiting classes every year.

Arik Gilbert was a 5 star TE coming out of high school in Georgia and heavily recruited by Clemson. After only one year at LSU he is in the portal. That would be the perfect kid for Clemson to go get. Clearly our coaching staff thought he fit our culture since they offered him a scholarship. he would be head and shoulders better than anyone we have on campus or committed.

No one is saying we should build a program around the portal. No one wants us taking handfuls of transfers the way LSU did. Look at what that did to their program. But there is no denying that if you selectively use the portal it will enhance your program no matter who you are or how good your recruiting is! Anyone that denies that need look no further than Ohio State.

Jan 10, 2021, 6:09 PM

WE agree. Justin Fields is a great example of how taking one player can benefit a team.

I was thinking more in general. The portal is gonna just keep getting bigger and as it does more teams, including Clemson, might use it more and more.

I was think more along the lines of people having the mentality that teams should be looking at the portal as a way to pick up a handful of players every year.

Jan 10, 2021, 6:21 PM

It helped your rival Miami this year

Jan 10, 2021, 7:39 PM

Miami is a gre3at example. It helped make Miami better. But, Miami is not near the level Clemson is.

Portal may be good for one year for a short term fix, but it is no way to build a program.

If FSU has to get 7 players through the portal next year, Norvell's job will be in jeopardy.

Jan 10, 2021, 8:10 PM

Bret you seem like a pretty good guy for a nole. This coming from a Clemson fan who lives in Florida and remembers being FSU homecoming games in the 90’s. It would be interesting to see what your posts looked like back in 2003 when you joined. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on reality. I mean your not still living in the 90’s like some notes. I always enjoy your posts. So just wondering what a post from Bret in 03 would look like compared to now.

Jan 11, 2021, 12:12 AM

My posts back in 03 were about your coaching search (when you hired Tommy Bowden). I started posting a couple of weeks before he was hired. Back then I spent a lot of my free time in December (I was a community college math instructor so I had lots of time off) following the coaching carousel.

Anytime I visit another team's board I don't talk smack. It makes it real easy not to talk smack here because Clemson is my second favorite team. And, when Tommy was fired and replaced by Dabo I really respected the professional way Bobby and Dabo related to each other. They had a nice conversation and Bobby assured him that there was no hard feelings with him (Bobby). Dabo said at the time that he appreciated the encouragement Dabo gave him.

So, in answer to yoru question, when I was posting I wasn't doing drive-by flames during game weeks. I enjoy meeting fans from different schools who enjoy football.

Example: When FSU beat VT (Michael Vick) for the national championship, a VT student visited our board. She was a member of their marching band. She was 19 or 20 years old. Seemed like a very nice young lady. Today, she is a medical doctor (pediatrician) with a husband and two kids. She still posts on our board.

Jan 10, 2021, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: A thought about the transfer portal. ]

Absolutely!

It's still pretty new and programs are trying to figure it out, but after seeing what Oklahoma, LSU, and OSU have done via the portal things are going to get crazy.

The portal means college athletics now have free agency, which combined with NIL is going to make a new wild west like the 80's.

I fear significantly more kids will be hurt than helped. Just like 1 and done in basketball. Kids today want everything NOW and have no concept of working for something, especially the 4 and 5 star kids that have been treated special since Pop Warner. Like kids going pro too early with the NBA many of these kids will program hop till they get to start without working for it and earning it. There are already kids that have been to 3 schools in 4 years. Throw in NIL and recruiting for 4 and 5 star kids will never stop. That is why the NCAA originally required kids to sit a year if they transferred. But the kids lawyered up and soon the NCAA will probably throw that caveat out since they are granting waivers like candy on Halloween. They need to revise the rule and allow a 1 time penalty free transfer. But after that if you transfer for ANY reason you have to sit a year AND still get only 5 years to play 4 and NO 6th year except for a major injury.

By the way, I made a post directed at you last week, but you were not around much and missed it. See the link: https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Speaking-of-Covid--Bretfsu-28463153

Message was edited by: Lowcntry_Tiger®

Jan 10, 2021, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: A thought about the transfer portal. ]

I think Arik Gilbert is exactly the player for Dabo to break his transfer rule on.

Most likely he will have to do it sometime as the portal becomes more a part of recruiting. More and more players are going to leave every year and if you get injuries, draft departures, or players don’t pan out, one bad position group can derail a championship season.

Gilbert is a big name player at a position of need. We’ll be in the mix next year, but if we get bad news on Ross and/or no one steps up at RB, more weapons are needed. If you are going to change the stance, now’s as good a time as any. We recruited him, so surely he is a decent enough culture fit.

If not us, anywhere but UGA or OSU...

Jan 10, 2021, 9:24 PM

According to Saturday's Down South, contrary to conventional wisdom, Ugay might lose him a second time. This time to Tennessee. No one is talking about Clemson because everyone knows Dabo's policy.

Per usual, the TNET brain trust is incorrect. We have had transfers under Dabo. Not many, but a handful. But I don't think via the portal.

This would be a great time to break our portal cherry. Arik is a big time talent.

Jan 10, 2021, 9:43 PM

It’s only a matter of time until Dabo changes his stance on the portal...I hope he doesn’t wait until we are back to just a top 15-25 team to do it...

I trust and have emended respect for what he has done but even moreso the WAY he has done it...but all things evolve and change...and his job is to give us the absolute best opportunity to win in a legal/moral way...this is the one thing I have an issue with on his ranking of OSU at the end of the year...

Do I agree with his logic...I do...was it logical...absolutely...was it his personal opinion...absolutely...did it cost us the game...absolutely not...but did his personal opinion on a topic give us the best chance to win the game...it absolutely did not give us the best chance...it provided extra motivation foe the team we were scheduled to play...his first responsibility is to put us in the best position to win...he did not...period!!!

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,542
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic