Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"A small representation of the real thing."
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,596

"A small representation of the real thing."

Apr 30, 2019, 8:51 PM

One fall afternoon while driving home to Sumter from St Matthews, I asked my Dad, "Did you mean what you said to Mr. P?"

He looked confused, so I explained that in discussing the weekend's football game he had told Mr. P to always support his school, no matter how badly they lost or to whom they fell. Mr. P was a Gamecock fan. Dad had told him not to give up, you support a model Institution.

Never had I heard Dad be so supportive, to a coot!!!

Once home Dad was preparing supper and told me I needed to look something up, as he feared I had gotten the wrong impression. So, there I was looking in the dictionary, reading the definition and Dad saw me grin. In an almost obscure line I read out loud, "a small representation of the real thing".

To this day that is how I view the University of SC.

My Dad was such a Southern Gentleman!!!

(TUs to anyone that shares a Clemson family story on this slow night.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "A small representation of the real thing."

Apr 30, 2019, 9:47 PM

I remember my twin brother and I have birthday in November and growing up in the 60’s, dad would ask what we wanted for our birthday and we would always say Clemson/Carolina tickets... and he would always tell us each year that he couldn’t get them that year for whatever reason. then ask us what else we wanted and we’d be so disappointed. Then every year he’d wrap up a shoebox or something on our bday.

We’d scamper in and open it and it’d be some type of clothing and we’d take it out the box and lo and behold there were Clemson/Carolina tickets buried in there... we’d get so excited, running around the house and just starring at the tickets. That was a long two weeks waiting for the game!!!!!

Little did we know he was one of the first iptay members- we were just young pups, and dirt poor but we’d somehow give our 10 a year...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2019, 9:52 PM

Oh, another small story. After we beat the coots in 1966 and won the ACC, my bother and I went on the field of course.... Buddy Gore gave us his chin strap. We cherished that for years.

Anyway, when we burried him in 97- way too early- we put the chinstrap in the casket and kissed him goodbye. No regrets!!!!

Go Tigers!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad was an elementary school principal and an ex coach...

Apr 30, 2019, 10:05 PM

He made a good living for us, but he had to budget his money. When I was a grown man, he told me that he would save $50.00 over the winter months so that we could take 5...yep, FIVE fishing trips to either Hartwell or Clark Hill.....Now days, I spend $50 bucks on 2 or 3 topwater plugs.....But, I never have more fun than I did back then, hand paddling a small aluminum boat and drowning 10 or 12 dozen minnows with my dad and younger brother....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My dad was an elementary school principal and an ex coach...

Apr 30, 2019, 10:26 PM

Good memories... good memories indeed. Kudos to your Dad for spending his career in the Educational system.

Ha! My parents thought I was going to spend my career in

May 2, 2019, 7:09 PM

the educational system, but I surprised them and graduated. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My earliest memories of fishing, I was 4 years old . . .

Apr 30, 2019, 10:39 PM [ in reply to My dad was an elementary school principal and an ex coach... ]

Dad had found a bream bed that could be fished from the bank. Mom wouldn't let him take me out in the John boat.
Armed with two hand picked and wrapped cane poles and a sleeve of crickets, we went to work on those "line singers".

The action was so fast, we were whooping and hollering. Dad stopped fishing and was constantly baiting one pole, then taking the fish off another for me. He made that day soooo special . . . I was hooked for life!!!!!!!

When we got home with a 5 gallon bucket of fish, he introduced to the art of cleaning your catch!!! Mom said I was too young to handle a knife. Dad said, he eats with a spoon every day . . . and with that he showed me how to scale those rascals with a spoon!!!

I don't know if I enjoyed catching, cleaning or eating them best . . . Dad was with me for every step, so I loved them all!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we went to Clark Hill, we would usually eat breakfast

May 2, 2019, 5:43 PM

at my Aunt Jean's house in Honea Path. She would cook country ham and sausage, fresh biscuits, eggs, red eye gravy and grits! Those WERE the days!

Great stories - fellow TNetters .....

May 1, 2019, 1:16 AM

..... Great stories !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 2, 2019, 6:15 PM

My grandfather-A Clemson Grad-1917, was the only doctor in Pickens. One of his patients was a gamecock fan. He kept him alive which really pissed off the gamecock guy. Every Christmas he would come up to my grandfather and say, "here's ten bucks doc." and turn and walk away. Never speaking to him I guess except when he had to visit him at the office.

May 2, 2022, 12:13 PM

My late grandfather used to tell this story repeatedly. Looking back, dementia was likely the culprit for the frequency. I don't recall whether the quote was directed at him or my father. I never knew my grandfather as a smoker but the story predates me. Standing and talking with Frank Howard one of the two of them, if the story was true, was smoking a cigarette while Frank enjoyed a chew. Frank turns and looks to say, "you smoke and I chew, if you don't blow your smoke on me then I wont spit on you." I will always remember that story.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,596
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic