Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A serious BHM post. Sorry no pretty ladies here............
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 739

A serious BHM post. Sorry no pretty ladies here............

Feb 8, 2021, 7:44 PM

This was Sonya's (aka Chocolate) great grandfather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_of_Anthony_Crawford

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I was aware of this incident... my family on my fathers

Feb 8, 2021, 8:26 PM

side are from Abbeville. My grandmother's house was 115 W. Pickens street, right off the town square. Have heard many stories first hand and read a lot of the history of Abbeville. Some good, some bad. Unreal that you know someone with such a direct connection to this. Wow. There are no words.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

nope. no words.

Feb 8, 2021, 8:37 PM

I've started and deleted a few replies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah I need a shot. Don't have any in house dang it. ******

Feb 8, 2021, 8:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah the 4 yrs. with her were awesome. That being said....

Feb 8, 2021, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Yes, I was aware of this incident... my family on my fathers ]

other than her mom and daughter I can see why others couldn't accept me.

We as people should be beyond that point. We aren't and that goes both ways. #SAD

Man, it's just complicated as ####... no doubt. I've started

Feb 8, 2021, 9:38 PM

to post some stuff many times, and maybe I will sometime. The doctor I went to as a child in West Greenville still had separate waiting rooms. When our washing machine broke, we went to Norge Village at the corner of Washington Ave & Easley Bridge Rd... they still had the Whites Only sign. When my mom bought the restaurant that she owned for decades, the blacks could only use the little "to go" area which was about the size of a small closet, they weren't supposed to come inside. But she changed all that. Another story for another day. This was all early 60s.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Check your Tmail***

Feb 8, 2021, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Yes, I was aware of this incident... my family on my fathers ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lived there most of my childhood until I went to Clemson in

Feb 8, 2021, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Yes, I was aware of this incident... my family on my fathers ]

the early '70's and never heard of this horrible event until a couple of years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't have heard of it either if not for...******

Feb 8, 2021, 8:50 PM

I made it about halfway through...

Feb 8, 2021, 9:21 PM

I think you mentioned this history before, but I didn't know the details. Jesus....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

That is an awful part of history.

Feb 8, 2021, 9:25 PM

So sad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So he was the founder of the Bave Hatthews Mand?

Feb 9, 2021, 5:08 AM

Good looking dood.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I grew up in the area and never knew of it.

Feb 9, 2021, 8:17 AM
Photo1.jpg(132.4 K)

I do have a pic of my great grandparents taken about this same time. In 1916 he would have been 25 and she would have been 21.

It looks like my great grandmother had a lil chocolate in her, right?

Yes, that was awful to read.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last racial lynching in SC was in 1947. My aunt's

Feb 9, 2021, 9:32 AM

brother was the murdered cab driver, Thomas Brown, in this horrific incident that resulted in the lynching of Willie Earle. My father, who was born in 1922, told me the story when I was a kid and it scared the life out of me. Turns out I currently work with Thomas Brown's grandson and he has old newspapers and magazines containing the story. I was talking to another old friend about it recently who said Willie Earle had an "adopted" brother who is still alive, and claims I've actually met him before, but I am unaware of it. It's hard to imagine that only one generation ago this kind of evil still went on.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville-roots/2018/04/09/lynching-willie-earle-scs-last-foreshadowed-changing-times/499199002/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The last (reported) racial lynching in SC was in 1947.

Feb 9, 2021, 11:59 AM

I can easily imagine that some occurred after that time and could have easily gone unreported.

My dad spoke often of being terrorized by white folks when he was a kid. and my brother, who will be 60 this next month, was attached in broad daylight in the early 80s...he supposedly said something he shouldn't have at a gas station, so a group of White guys tried to cut his tongue out. He came home with his tongue bleeding and we spent Easter in the ER.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

That's terrible. I grew up around some very open racism

Feb 9, 2021, 2:11 PM

in the 1960s but never witnessed or heard of anything like that. I remember quite well when black people rode in the back of the bus (at least they did here in Greenville), drank from separate water fountains, only sat in the balcony at movie theatres, etc.. Of Course there were separate schools for black and white. Segregation and unapologetic, overt racism were in full force. I do remember a Klan rally and a huge cross burning on Cedar Lane Rd in the early 1960s, but I never witnessed any physical violence aside from school fights following integration late 1960s. I did get my ### beat down pretty good by a gang of black boys, just because I was white, during that time. A few months later most of them were my friends and remained so for many years until we lost touch as adults.

3time, thank you for your input. I'm sure a lot of shameful things like that went on that I was not aware of.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

wow!! I did not have the heart to read and stopped.***

Feb 9, 2021, 3:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 739
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic