Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A sad state of affairs...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

A sad state of affairs...

Oct 13, 2016, 9:40 PM

I'll never understand the folks who get enjoyment out of trying to get other people riled up, trying to cause unrest, division.

We've learned to label them trolls, but what they really are is sick people. Occasionally they get a pass because they're well timed and even funny. Other times they get a pass because they're well read or good with words.

But at the end of the day, they're just trying to disrupt and cause mischief. What's worse, is in many cases, they're justifying it to themselves and completely looking past the bigger picture.

This may only be a small website relatively speaking, but the sad truth is there's far too many of these people in this country, in this world. It's disgusting.

If you're upset after reading these things...there's a really good chance I'm talking about you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A sad state of affairs...

Oct 13, 2016, 9:46 PM

A thumbs down...guess you're one of the people upset after reading...but don't care to come out and discuss your problems. That's a shame, but not a surprise.

Oct 13, 2016, 9:51 PM

Sounds a lot like a Troll to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please Try Again ..... you lost me?

Oct 13, 2016, 9:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please Try Again ..... you lost me?

Oct 13, 2016, 10:02 PM

I'm gonna give you one shot at this, assuming you're being serious, and understanding that there are folks who take everything at face value.

There are people who deliberately say and do things that are over the top, and perhaps they don't even believe, only to get a reaction from others. It's pathetic.

http://time.com/4457110/internet-trolls/

Oct 13, 2016, 10:13 PM

A troll is just a smartass online

Oct 13, 2016, 10:18 PM

That's all they think they are, but they are far worse than that. Again, in so many cases it's let go because it's all for laughs and not that consequential...but there are some really sick people out there.

Oct 13, 2016, 10:21 PM

I would agree, but people should really just let it go after all it's the Internet, if someone can't handle a troll then real life is gonna be a doozy. People just need to focus less on the Internet and more what's in front of them.

Oct 13, 2016, 10:26 PM

I realize I posted an article related to the Internet...but these people exist in our world, and are likely carrying on the same antics beyond the Internet. I REALLY don't want to venture into politics, but the article specifically mentions Trump and how he does this to people. We have a presidential candidate that is one of the better trolls of our generation. It's a societal problem that doesn't exist only online and too many people are oblivious to it and being affected by it.

crooked Hillary is calling go answer

Oct 13, 2016, 10:33 PM

The phone and check under ur car before you start it. She may have put something there. Clueless

Re: crooked Hillary is calling go answer

Oct 13, 2016, 10:53 PM

Hillary? Really? You're just proving his point! Lol

Oct 14, 2016, 7:29 AM [ in reply to Re: A sad state of affairs... ]

Somehow I knew this was directed at Trump.....

What about Obama, BLM, the NAACP, you know, the racist that stir of trouble and push false narratives like systemic racism and racial profiling even though the facts paint a different picture?

Oct 14, 2016, 7:49 AM

Yep, all of those are equally awful in their own respect. Trump was mentioned in the article, but in no way is this directed at him alone.

1-800-therapy! Everyone can read just fine..

Oct 13, 2016, 10:31 PM

Not everybody wants to hear ur opinion..
> of trying to get other people riled up, trying to
> cause unrest, division.
>
> We've learned to label them trolls, but what they
> really are is sick people. Occasionally they get a
> pass because they're well timed and even funny.
> Other times they get a pass because they're well
> l read or good with words.
>
> But at the end of the day, they're just trying to
> disrupt and cause mischief. What's worse, is in many
> cases, they're justifying it to themselves and
> completely looking past the bigger picture.
>
> This may only be a small website relatively speaking,
> but the sad truth is there's far too many of these
> people in this country, in this world. It's
> disgusting.
>
> If you're upset after reading these things...there's
> a really good chance I'm talking about you.

Re: 1-800-therapy! Everyone can read just fine..

Oct 13, 2016, 10:33 PM

Case in point folks. Pathetic.

Seek help bro...Xanax perhaps?***

Oct 13, 2016, 10:34 PM

Re: Seek help bro...Xanax perhaps?***

Oct 13, 2016, 10:38 PM

This makes you feel good about yourself. You think you're getting to me. What in the actual #### is wrong with you man?

He's right. If this stuff bothers you

Oct 14, 2016, 7:12 AM

You probably need help....

Re: Seek help bro...Xanax perhaps?***

Oct 14, 2016, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Seek help bro...Xanax perhaps?*** ]

toes stepped on?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think you may wanna call that number...

Oct 13, 2016, 11:15 PM [ in reply to 1-800-therapy! Everyone can read just fine.. ]

...since you're clearly in need of some help. Still just sadly SMH at you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Oct 13, 2016, 10:44 PM

Dang brother...57% on this post? I gave you a thumbs up! I totally agree and think your post is excellent! Too much hate when there's so much good we can use the internet for! #kindness

Oct 13, 2016, 10:46 PM

Lol, trolls gonna troll. The last line really upset them. That's what they do.

Oct 14, 2016, 8:05 AM [ in reply to Re: A sad state of affairs... ]

A lot of people hide behind the computer and try to be a jerk. I try to be on TNET for positive stuff, Clemson football and more. Most of the times I'm pretty good at staying positive and sometimes I let my bad side show. I didn't see nothing wrong with the OP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2016, 11:29 PM

The way you write your screen name disrupts and causes mischief.

There , I said it .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 14, 2016, 12:26 AM

Did we learn to name them Trolls, or did we just start calling them who they were with some other choice names;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I with you, my man +1***

Oct 14, 2016, 12:43 AM

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Oct 14, 2016, 12:53 AM

What it boils down to is everybody has the internet and people can get away with stuff behind a keyboard.
They can say stuff on an message board that in real life would get thier ### kicked.

Oct 14, 2016, 8:07 AM

that's probably 95% of it. LOL

Oct 14, 2016, 1:33 AM

Sorry, but you lost me when you stated "at the end of the day". Most over used statement from egotistical morans

Oct 14, 2016, 1:42 AM

> I'll never understand the folks who get enjoyment out
> of trying to get other people riled up, trying to
> cause unrest, division.
>
> We've learned to label them trolls, but what they
> really are is sick people. Occasionally they get a
> pass because they're well timed and even funny.
> Other times they get a pass because they're well
> l read or good with words.
>
> But at the end of the day, they're just trying to
> disrupt and cause mischief. What's worse, is in many
> cases, they're justifying it to themselves and
> completely looking past the bigger picture.
>
> This may only be a small website relatively speaking,
> but the sad truth is there's far too many of these
> people in this country, in this world. It's
> disgusting.
>
> If you're upset after reading these things...there's
> a really good chance I'm talking about you.

Trolls are narcissists. The reason they do what they do - and it took me awhile to get this, and for years back in the day I used to duel these guys because I made the mistake of taking them personally - is because they're confirming their own sense of self-importance by making other people angry.

They can get other people to do things. That's the whole point. The reaction is the whole point. And the anonymity provided by a computer allows them to do it without fear of getting their nose busted.

The way you confound a troll is, you ignore them. There's no other way. The bottom line with a narcissist is, they really do live in a universe composed of...themselves. They are the one true love of their own lives. If you refuse to acknowledge their importance they just...wither away. Being ignored is their kryptonite.

Once you know the game, it's really not hard to spot, or beat. There were quite a collection of trolls here (and still are, kinda), because this was a big, public, not particularly well-policed site, and that's utopia for a troll. Not surprisingly once Crump cracked down and some of the more obvious ones vanished...they'll be back. Judging from the post count of a few of them they were literally spending a full workday on TI..and this was every day; they aren't just going to go wander into the sunset and leave all that self-important Good Feeling they got yanking other people around behind just because the boot finally landed on them, again. A couple of these guys, I suspect, have been lurking around here under various guises and usernames since at least back when I joined in 2002...you can ban them, sure, but trying to rid the board of them permanently is kind of like trying to eradicate crabgrass since they'll inevitably just create a new login ID and come back again and again like a bad movie villain.

Best advice is, ignore 'em. Take advantage of that "ignore" feature if you can, and literally make them not exist. It works. A thick skin - and an awareness that a narcissist derives his own self-importance by making other people hate him, hence confirming how big and important he is - works even better.

But yes...trolls are sick people. I suspect they've always lurked in the background of most every society, and every culture in history. They kind of wait for their chance to bust loose, to join the SS, the Fascists, the Spanish Inquisition...anywhere they can hurt other people without risk to themselves, because those kind of jobs have never lacked for volunteers.

Someday psychology will have advanced sufficiently that such people will be easily identified and rooted out...and hopefully, either cured or extirpated.

For now...ignore 'em. All we can do, at the moment.

Oct 14, 2016, 2:10 AM

I have encountered a narcissist in my daily life. I would let this person get to me and impact my day. I learned to limit my exposure to this person and learned to simply ignore this person's attitude and actions.

At some point, they stopped seeking me out. I guess I stopped feeding the beast.

Oct 14, 2016, 8:08 AM

agree, Ignore and stay around positive people.

Oct 14, 2016, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: A sad state of affairs... ]

+1 to OP and +1 to you. Very well stated.

My ex was the same way, and man... I would react and get upset and buy into the argument and there would be this glow of gloat that would come across her face, just knowing that she had done what she set out to do.

Then I realized, finally, ignore. That's the key. She would set her trap, I would glance at it and walk by. My initial anger was easy to subdue when I saw her reaction. Her frustration, her red face, her multiple attempts to try to get a reaction that would never come.

I wish I could say that she gave up, but she can't. But I take comfort knowing she spends her life frustrated trying to upset me and missing out on the rest of the world and her own life.

Meanwhile, married and two beautiful kids, I've gotta plenty to enjoy - whilst she lives in her own personally created hell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"There's something in these hills and I suspect that's what it is - the ability of an institution through the unending dedication and greatness of its people - its administration, its faculty, its staff, its students and alumni - to impart to all it touches a respect, an admiration, an affection that stands firm in disquieting times when things around it give impressions of coming unglued." - Joe Sherman '34

What?

Oct 14, 2016, 6:23 AM

the? what?

Are you trolling?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2016, 7:50 AM
IMG_0021.PNG(77.1 K)

NM

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Time article made it more complicated but

Oct 14, 2016, 8:22 AM

It's about being a coward. Personally, I don't post anything that I wouldn't say to someone's face, but then again I'm not a chicken sh!t lol

Re: The Time article made it more complicated but

Oct 14, 2016, 9:32 AM

I guess that is the main focus of a troll, they use the internet to challenge their issues bc they are to chicken sh!t to take it to a face to face discussion bc they are cowards!!! ( Troll = Coward )

Re: The Time article made it more complicated but

Oct 14, 2016, 3:08 PM [ in reply to The Time article made it more complicated but ]

Man i agree with this 100 percent. I agree with this post. Its not that i cant handle a different viewpoint. I brought up...a time when someone used the word wigger. I said it was racist..and the insults hurled at me didnt hurt. But i know if i met these same people face to face...they would not bust a grape in a fruit fight.

Oct 14, 2016, 8:45 AM

Please go watch the new season of South Park.

Re: A sad state of affairs...***

Oct 14, 2016, 3:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Oct 14, 2016, 8:13 PM

speaking of being macho behind a keyboard

Oct 14, 2016, 7:09 PM

Oct 14, 2016, 7:11 PM

It's almost embarrassing how hard you're working to troll. I legitimately feel sorry for you.

Oct 14, 2016, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: A sad state of affairs...*** ]

not even funny.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic