Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who is better for the economy, Democrat or Republican
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Who is better for the economy, Democrat or Republican

Feb 2, 2021, 10:20 AM

Presidents?

https://www.thebalance.com/democrats-vs-republicans-which-is-better-for-the-economy-4771839

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate studies like this...

Feb 2, 2021, 10:37 AM

While the POTUS has an agenda, Congress makes the laws.

Saying a D or R President dictates the economy isn't a good comparison. Also it can often be years before policy changes fully impact the economy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, I get that but the approach by this writer clearly

Feb 2, 2021, 10:43 AM

asks which party is best for the economy, and doesn't make the leap and state which party dictates the economy.

People do that on their own though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congress used to make laws ...

Feb 2, 2021, 1:13 PM [ in reply to I hate studies like this... ]

Now they just talk ad nauseum

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who has passed more laws

Feb 2, 2021, 2:26 PM

in the last 2 weeks. Biden, Congress or SCOTUS?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Master of the obvious?

Feb 2, 2021, 10:48 AM

This line says it all about the article:

"A president would have better growth if he had no recession"

#noshitsherlock

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

A rising tide lifts all boats

Feb 2, 2021, 10:50 AM

Can't think of a more honest, simple explanation.

false. If we put enough money in the clouds

Feb 2, 2021, 10:55 AM

some of it will come down onto the boats lifting them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: A rising tide lifts all boats

Feb 2, 2021, 1:10 PM [ in reply to A rising tide lifts all boats ]

prof,

Then why not make an effort to lift the little ones first - and let the yatchs come along for the ride

I'm not reading the article, because in its nature, it's

Feb 2, 2021, 11:33 AM

trying to shake the jar. But I do love this conversation...

For the broader public to understand an administration's impact to the economy, I think we should all level set on the parameters by which we're judging the success / failure (i.e. Unemployment (Fed mandate), Inflation (Fed Mandate), Value of the Dollar, GDP, etc.). I also think we need to establish a good timeline to judge policy by.

Ironically, and as a surprise to probably no one, my key parameters for judging economic success are GDP, Median Household Income, Value of the dollar, and unemployment. In that order.

On the topic though, for example, Bill Clinton's administration repealed the Glass-Steagall Act. Many theorize this directly led to the GFC which is undoubtedly a stain on ole Dubya's administration. Then, it gave a tanked economy (ole S&P 666, coinkydink?) to Barry. Couldn't go anywhere but up.

Also, having this conversation without acknowledging who the chair of the Fed was and what level of printing is occuring is moronic.

Economics is a pretty complex conversation to have with people. Most of whom having no idea what the concept of a Fiat currency is makes it even harder.

Keep it up though man, this is sure entertaining!

Re: I'm not reading the article, because in its nature, it's

Feb 2, 2021, 1:09 PM

dawg,

I agree that the economy is far to complex and interrelated to give any president too much credit or blame for what happens on his watch. And that is not even considering the time lag which you mention. The economy is like a thousand cog machine with every cog interlocked with other cogs - and the President can turn very few of those cogs himself.

OTOH, often when political people speak of parties, the Dems always seem to get accused of being bad for the economy while the Reps get credit for being good for it. That simply (& simplistically) is NOT true. (see attached)

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic