Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is anyone actually happy that we play GT every year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Is anyone actually happy that we play GT every year?

Jul 25, 2019, 9:43 AM

I passionately hate that team and going to that stadium. Rickety-a** POS is due to fall down any minute; every ear-splitting train whistle brings it closer to its end. We have to waste precious defensive preparation time on that stupid, gimmicky, high school nonsense they call an offense. Their fans are, IMHO, even trashier than the coots. Maybe it's better if you're not in the marching band, but I honestly hated going there more than Cootlumbia.

And just THINK of the possibilities that creates on our schedule. We could have another rotating Coastal slot. We could play Virginia Tech every year, a team I actually respect and a campus I love visiting. We could play Miami every year, a team I don't respect nearly as much but a freaking awesome trip.

But most importantly:

No. More. Triple. F*****g. Option.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their third down song DRIVES ME CRAZY

Jul 25, 2019, 9:47 AM

and also their fans are among the worst I've ever encountered. Especially the students. TERRIBLE

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's almost as bad as their strobe light scoreboard***

Jul 25, 2019, 10:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The "You suck" song?

Jul 25, 2019, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Their third down song DRIVES ME CRAZY ]

Also I have to say I sat in their student section in 2009 (got the tickets late and didn't look closely at where they were located) and they were great sports to me.

However, did have some trouble with one of their fans at the ACCCG. Only time in 35 years of going to sporting events that someone wouldn't let me pass to get to my seat. And then one of them was an obnoxious ####### the rest of the game.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. They play the ascending chorus part of "Space Chords"

Jul 26, 2019, 10:41 AM

ITS SO OBNOXIOUS.

I've had SO many bad experiences with their students at their games. I don't have the patience to type it all out, lol.

It's the end of this song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwi66ITo7Cw

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Their third down song DRIVES ME CRAZY

Jul 26, 2019, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Their third down song DRIVES ME CRAZY ]

I haven't really had issues with GT fans. Maryland fans were absolutely horrible when they were in the ACC. NC State fans are probably the worst in the ACC now. We all know the kind of people SCar fans are. But I've never had a problem in Atlanta. They're kind of middle of the road.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am pretty sure the coaches like having

Jul 25, 2019, 9:49 AM

the Atlanta exposure every year. We have actually picked up a couple of decent players over the years from the Atlanta area.

I hear you

Jul 25, 2019, 9:53 AM

But I don't think we *NEED* the Georgia Tech game to keep our recruiting afloat. Maybe we did back when everyone didn't know our name, but our rapidly expanding trophy case is making it less necessary to do things to "attract" players. Almost every player in the ESPN300 is hoping for a Clemson offer.

Bingo, Art

Jul 25, 2019, 9:54 AM [ in reply to I am pretty sure the coaches like having ]

Knowing you can sell ATL recruits on at least playing in their hometown twice in their career while also being pretty close to home is a big plus.

GT won't be running the triple option any longer but

Jul 25, 2019, 9:53 AM

I do wish the ACC was able to scrap divisions so we could play the Coastal teams like VT more often.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

We should have to play everyone in the ACC so there’s...

Jul 25, 2019, 9:55 AM

One true champion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Almost doable if ACC would send Syracuse and Pittsburgh back

Jul 25, 2019, 9:58 AM

to the Big East

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Syracuse would stay now that they no longer suck at football.

Jul 25, 2019, 12:15 PM

As far as Pitt goes, I thought the ACC would help them out. Disappointing. Sad. Very sad.

I could've sworn I saw Pitt in the last ACCCG

Jul 25, 2019, 3:53 PM

I'm pretty sure that was Pitt. Might be mis-remembering after pregame at Wooden Robot brewing.

They aren't all that bad after all - just not Clemson level.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I looked back and it appears...

Jul 26, 2019, 11:53 AM

They were horrible at college football last season.

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=376

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

GT is a close proximity rival. I have enjoyed the rivalry

Jul 25, 2019, 9:55 AM

over the years.

Plus, the TO offense will probably be non-existent under Geoff Collins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Is anyone actually happy that we play GT every year?

Jul 25, 2019, 9:58 AM

"That stupid, gimmicky, high school nonsense they call an offense" is now history. From what I understand, they will not be an option team, that just means they are (at present) just more meat for the grinder. I've found on TNet, we tend to hate every fan base so "hating their fans" limits our choices too... maybe The Citadel and the service academies?

Go Tigers!

Jul 26, 2019, 3:01 PM

Not sure why people here want to whine and complain about every single fanbase. There are a handful that suck, but most are decent.

Jul 25, 2019, 10:00 AM

Paul Johnson retired. No more triple-option.

I like it that GT's our yearly crossover. We've played them >80 times; tradition counts for something, or should anyway. And if Geoff Collins can recruit, the GT game might get interesting year-in and year-out. Remains to be seen, of course, but at least no triple-option going forward.

No more triple option?

Jul 25, 2019, 11:28 PM

That's what they want us to think Don't fall for it.

Jul 25, 2019, 10:01 AM

You love visiting VT? Beautiful part of VA outside campus.. but looks and feels like a prison when you are on campus.

Jul 25, 2019, 12:27 PM

I am happy we play GT every year. I hope we keep playing GT every year for a long time.

GT was a huge power in college football for decades. Clemson once went to Atlanta every year because GT had a big stadium and promised us a big payday, which we needed. Between the beginning of time and 1968 the Yellow Jackets built up a huge lead in the series with us.

I started Clemson in 1968. We played and beat GT in Atlanta in 1969 in Frank Howard's last year in his last shot at getting a win. Our series with GT did not go home and home until the late 70s. In many ways the prominence of our two teams have flipped. We now have the big stadium. We have won more Nattys in my lifetime than GT (3-1) but we are only tied with GT all time in National Titles.

So with that bit of history, it pains me to say that since I started Clemson over 50 years ago, the series between our two teams is tied at 23-23-1. I'd like to pile up some more wins and post at least one more Natty, firmly cementing in even the most stubborn GT fan that Clemson is without a doubt, a better football program than GT and we have the wins and the trophies and the chalk to prove it.

BTW, I have worked a lot in my lifetime with GT grads. Early on their sense of superiority was just awful. Now they are mostly just quiet. Early on, GT grads were stupid proud of the way Bobby Donn had played the game cleanly and honestly; they once bragged about never being on NCAA probation. Now they have thoroughly soiled themselves and no longer call us cheaters.

So I'd like to play and beat GT every year. When I die, yall can end the series with the Yellow Jackets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 10:50 PM

My favorite Ga Tech memory was the first game I attended there when i was a high school senior. We watched Ga Tech play Navy and then spent a long time stuck in traffic, listening to the Clemson game on the radio as the Tigers roared back to beat Notre Dame in South Bend. So really, sitting in Atlanta traffic was more fun than watching the Ramblin Wreck. :)

Yeah VT sucks as a campus honestly

Jul 25, 2019, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Is anyone actually happy that we play GT every year? ]

their tennis facility is an eyesore carved into a cow pasture

Re: Yes, because

Jul 25, 2019, 10:05 AM

We still owe them about 50 more years of asswhoopings!

Message was edited by: FishinCrazy®

I've never loved having them as our cross-division "rival".

Jul 25, 2019, 10:15 AM

Do we have something of a rivalry with them? Sure. There's some history there, they are geographically close to us, it saves on travel for that game, etc.

But I don't love having them assigned to us every year by the ACC. I actually miss playing White Meat (UVa) yearly. Our tradition for years was to never lose to them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The GT game

Jul 25, 2019, 10:29 AM

Every year is a must. I would be very disappointed if we didn’t play them. One of the oldest rivalries in college football. Why would you want to drop them? There fans are mild compared with that bunch in Blacksburg. I would like to see more emphasis placed on the Tech game every year. I proposed a while back that the winner of this game should be awarded a mock version of the Heisman sice he coached at both schools early in his career.

The opening game this year with the yellow jackets in DV is perfect. I expect a record number of viewers will be watching this game. Good for the Tigers ...... and Tech

Yes! Why don't we call the Clemson-GT game the

Jul 25, 2019, 10:32 AM

"Ash Bowl"? We could exhume Heisman's body, have him cremated, then the winner of the game would get to keep his ashes until beaten again?

I'm all in.

Re: Yes! Why don't we call the Clemson-GT game the

Jul 25, 2019, 11:00 AM

It is a good reason to go to Atlanta every other year.

Jul 25, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Yes! Why don't we call the Clemson-GT game the ]

Well, Atlanta has lots of TV viewers too. That has to help us in someway.

Jul 25, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Yes! Why don't we call the Clemson-GT game the ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFtpqFtCIww

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Every other year at most.

Jul 25, 2019, 11:11 AM

would rather get to play some other teams.

Jul 25, 2019, 11:26 AM

I hear rumors that Virginia is also in the ACC and that Clemson will actually play at Pittsburgh some day

I think the Georgia Tech game every year is a must for

Jul 25, 2019, 11:32 AM

Clemson.

1. It gives more of a presence in the Atlanta area than just being in the ACC would do.
2. This presence is important regarding the local and state Atlanta, Georgia media.
3. It is an away game in which our fans can flood the stadium.
4. The presence in the Atlanta metro area and the state of Georgia is extremely important for recruiting. I can't believe Florida State has tolerated not being able to play Georgia Tech every year as they were able to do before expansion.
5. As hard as it is to believe because Georgia Tech has been average to above average for so long, it still means something to beat Georgia Tech. The name still carries some clout.
6. I may be biased because I live here, but I don't think so because I am ready to move out of Atlanta and retire to either Pawleys Island/Litchfield or Clemson. Having said that, a road trip to Atlanta is a fun trip. It is short for Clemson fans, there are other things to do if you want to and have the money and Georgia Tech, in my opinion, has a pretty cool campus. That is a rarity for an urban school.
7. They have cool traditions, the Wreck car entrance, The Varsity.
8. I think most Clemson fans would be upset if they could not play Georgia Tech every year. And I think Georgia Tech would feel the same way. They consider us their rival in the sense that Auburn is a rival for Georgia. They consider us a reminder of their SEC member days. We help ease the fact that they no longer play Auburn.
9.Clemson fans might be up for not playing every year, if the years we didn't play them, we were able to play Georgia instead.
10. We have had the upper hand in this rivalry for a while, 4 in a row, 6 of last 7 and 7 of last 9, and it brings a lot of publicity in a rich recruiting state.

I'm don't think Clemson will ever agree to not playing Tech every year.

Re: I think the Georgia Tech game every year is a must for

Jul 26, 2019, 10:51 AM

Reason 11 - we play them at Mercedes
Benz stadium next year

Re: I think the Georgia Tech game every year is a must for

Jul 26, 2019, 11:09 AM [ in reply to I think the Georgia Tech game every year is a must for ]

12. Our traditions... It was the Ga Tech game where the Tiger Paw stamped $2 bills got started

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am. I disagree with your entire post

Jul 25, 2019, 11:54 AM

The students have become annoying lately. Back in 2001 or 2002 I sat in their student section right in front of Woodrow Dantzlers go ahead TD run. It was a pleasant experience and nobody bothered me.

I took a GT client to our last loss in that stadium. Sat on the GT side on the 3rd row. Had a lot of nice football conversation.

I always have a pleasant experience with middle aged GT fans. They are very nice, intelligent, humble and we hate the dawgs.

It’s a very easy away trip. The only trip closer is the cess pool in Columbia. White trash heaven.

I have sat all over Gts stadium and always had a good experience other than the student nerds harassing us as we walk down frat row.

They have great tradition and we have a great rivalry tradition with them. I enjoy spending time in midtown/ Virginia Highlands. I used to live there.

I am happy we play GT every year.***

Jul 25, 2019, 12:13 PM

Jul 25, 2019, 12:17 PM

I always want to play and dominate GT... actually, for me personally, it is a bigger deal than the coots. I am highly educated and work in a technical field so dealing with GT folks are the norm... I don't have to deal with coots in day-to-day activities. The front door screens them out as it has a sign reading: "pull to open".

My dissertation adviser was GT alum and another was GT faculty.... so I hear about it if we don't win.

My top "rivals" are GT, VaTech, FSU, UNC, NCSU .... coots, in that order. The NC schools are higher up because I live in the wrong Carolina now.

Jul 25, 2019, 12:46 PM

Geoff Collins is going to get some players we wanted from that area. He has the personality and swag kids will gravitate toward. We will still get our fair share though.

As far as playing GT, b/c I think they are going to be light years ahead of where they have been the last two years under Collins, I think we would want to keep them on the schedule. Remember GT under PAWL went to the Orange Bowl and was winning double digit games at one point. Then everybody kind of copied what Coach V was doing and they started looking average.

I think they will be harder to defend and are located in very fertile recruiting territory! Will kids want to stay that close to home and in such a tough academic school? IDK; but I feel like they will be consistently ranked soon and it would only strengthen our SOS after we beat them!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes! Especially when they are awful!!!

Jul 25, 2019, 2:26 PM

It’s also very nice to show off in Atlanta for the local recruits.

~JKB

Need to play in Georgia for recruiting purposes

Jul 25, 2019, 3:58 PM

UGA isn't gonna play us every year, GT serves a purpose.

yes***

Jul 25, 2019, 4:01 PM

As soon as we spay the Dawgs in the playoffs, we can

Jul 25, 2019, 4:41 PM

claim total supremacy of the State of Georgia... I like it.

Jul 25, 2019, 5:40 PM

I’ve not really considered it. I’m going to say I don’t really care either way. I did not like PJ, but he’s gone now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2019, 7:44 PM

I always hated going to their stadium.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

you definitely don't want to go to UGA***

Jul 25, 2019, 11:40 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you definitely don't want to go to UGA***

Jul 26, 2019, 4:05 PM

Agreed, UGA is worse than GT.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 26, 2019, 2:32 AM

I like the chance to even up the series in the next couple of decades.... give the nerds some payback for making us play in Atlanta for 70 years straight

Jul 26, 2019, 11:01 AM

Speaking of playing there in Tiger Band. In 1977 we were supposed to play our last game ever. That was when the paw print $2 bill tradition was born to show the Atlanta banks on Monday morning what the impact of the Clemson faithful making the trek every year. So to commemorate the last game, one of tech’s fraternities put a bounty on the tiger’s tail as well as the “balls” from the band uniform.

Back then the band uniform was black pants, orange tunic, purple sash and a British busbee fur hat. The balls hung from the bottom the the sash and there were two of them. So our pre game brief included a bit about the bounty and to watch our balls.

During the game, a fight broke out in the stands and spilled onto the track that surrounds the field. There, in the middle of the mele, was Tree Rollins, a rookie with the Hawks punching down on the heads of the GT rats.

There fans are bred to be bad and have always been bad.

A lot of great responses and points made on both sides

Jul 26, 2019, 11:01 AM

I don't think I'll ever get over my hatred of that team enough to still want to play them every year, but hopefully the new regime will at least take them off the triple option. But if y'all think they aren't showing any option looks this year, you got another thing coming. Every offensive player they have except the true freshmen were recruited to play in an option offense. They WILL use it this year.

YES! I want to play them every year & beat them every year!

Jul 26, 2019, 11:45 AM

We have a long, long mostly dismal history with Ga Tech.

They abused us for over half a century while playing us in Atlanta every year.

Plus, they lured John Heisman away and set back Clemson’s program at a time when it could have really flourished and become one of the early “Blue Blood” programs in the game.

We owe them big time and we’re now in a great position for several decades of redemption and pay back.

Go Tigers ... Beat Tech! Again, and again, and again!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic