Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A little Friday survey: Moving to another country
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

A little Friday survey: Moving to another country

Aug 14, 2020, 11:03 AM

Hey. Not starting a debate/argument here. No, seriously. I'm genuinely curious on y'all's thoughts on this.

Have you and your family ever entertained the idea of moving to another country and living there pretty much full time not including for career purposes. I'm talking about for fun/change of pace and/or because you were worried about America's future? Or have you always wanted to stay right here no matter what?

If you have thought about uprooting and going to another country, which one and why?

I knew a colleague years ago who, after retirement, bailed out of here for Costa Rica with his wife because he just wanted something new. In the same vein, I've been a little interested in Belize as the idea of living in a slow-paced tropical paradise seems nice (the Ambergris Cay area) and it's surprisingly affordable. And sometimes I worry about our nation's unrest lately. But I've only about 10 percent bounced this idea around.

Probably would reevaluate if I hit the Powerball.

Obviously, family and Clemson home games are a deterrent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: A little Friday survey: Moving to another country

Jul 30, 2019, 10:07 AM

I have thought about it but the closest I've gotten to moving to another country is the mountains of Tennessee. ??

6 hours from most family now, about 2 hours from Clemson and live in the middle of God's country with the closest neighbor half mile away.

Its paradise for me lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how can you even ask that?

Aug 14, 2020, 11:11 AM

;)

It would be cool...but not long term.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 11:17 AM

We have considered it. Not sure which country. Maybe even move to a US territory like usvi or Puerto Rico. Costa Rica is not what it use to be with land prices increasing over the years. There are other Central American countries that are now what Costa Rica use to be but they do have crocodiles that eat people on the beach. I’m not a fan of that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crocs on the beach would suck.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:23 AM

That includes dude who wear them and think they're cool.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Wow might as well tag

Aug 14, 2020, 1:38 PM

Lakebum1®

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's definitely an appeal, but seems likely romanticized.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:19 AM

Not sure that the long term reality matches the appeal. It would be cool to have a place for long escapes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our manufacturing plant got closed

Aug 14, 2020, 11:25 AM

Due to globalism and one of my coworkers took his severance, sold his house and all belongings and moved to Mexico. His wife works remotely and he said he’d figure something to do when he got there.

A little “drug cartel-sequel” for me but each his own

Well, having lived extensively in Bulgaria (serious), I will

Aug 14, 2020, 11:30 AM

say you have to know the country you're thinking of really, really well. What is the legal system like? How safe is it? How easy is it to do business? How "free" are you to move about, practice your profession, etc.

A lot of people these days have jobs where they can live anywhere but their business is American. That could be an OK set up.

I have a friend out West whose parents sold everything at retirement and bought and RV for the US and a house on the beach in Baja California, MX. That's a pretty decent model, but more than half the year they are still in the US and do not have to work.

About the only countries I would SERIOUSLY think about moving to while still working would be the UAE (no taxes, they pay professional foreigners LOT of money), Canada, maybe the US or Euro-linked Caribbean, and maybe some parts of Western Europe/Scandinavia. That's it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

addendum - when/if this COVID sh*t ever ends, APM and Mrs.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:58 AM

PAW are taking an EXTENSIVE trip/sabbatical to Europe - France (hope to hit either the Monaco GP or the TdF or both, Engerlund, Alalfi Coast, and Greece are on the list).

One thing I have learned (actually knew already but didn't practice) from this COVID sh*t is do it now, because tomorrow is not guaranteed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wife and I were in Monaco for a few days in Sept '15 after

Aug 15, 2020, 2:35 AM

leaving Lake Como and an over-night in Savona, before driving the NW coast of Italy...

Port de Cap-d'Ail is in France just beyond the France/Monaco line... In fact, the motel we stayed in backs up to it. Beautiful rooftop pool.

La Quai des Princes is on Avenue du Port.. Nothing fancy, but half the price of the Marriott and GREAT location directly on the port.

Huge yachts, literally across the street... Marquet Beach and Le Lamporo Restaurant right around the corner during the day... Restaurant La Canbuse is at the end of the street for the evening... Everything is a short walk.

You can go much higher end but we found you really got the flavor of the nautical crowd in the evening and it was convenient to everything.

If nothing else, take a peek or a walk on Google.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm too much of a home-body to do that, but I like

Aug 14, 2020, 11:34 AM

the idea of it.

Heck, where I lay my head every night has been in my family since the mid 1700's so clearly I'm not going anywhere.

But still, its fun to dream about.

Spent some time in Costa Rica, and a close friend of mine married a Costa Rican beauty. They live in the states. Tons of ex-pats down there. Maybe there's something to it.

Dude I work with came into a large sum of family money, fixed up a huge sailboat and moved to the USVI. Been down there for a few years now. He was a hydraulics expert. Got part time work servicing hydraulic systems on multimillion dollar yachts. Pretty sweet gig. Dude is in his low to mid 50's. No kids.

Other friends of mine just bought a 20-40 acre farm in Vermont and are moving there from SC. He's a preacher and mama stays home with their 4 kids. Sorta the same but different. They might as well be in a different country.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Years ago I went to Hawaii for a conference...

Aug 14, 2020, 11:47 AM

everyone there was from somewhere else. The captain of the whale watching boat was a lawyer from Minnesota. Took a two-week vacation to Hawaii and 12 days in called his partners and said, "Buy my out, I'm never coming back." Used the buyout to buy the boat and he worked on it with four mates who were all hot college chicks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a manner I considere it.

Aug 14, 2020, 11:36 AM

I was offered a full ride to attend UTC's MBA program. Two weeks of the last term was to be spent in Europe, don't remember but I think it was GB. I considered the option and decided the safest place on earth for me was East TN.

EU had a terrorism problem, imo.

Terrorist would rather kill Americans than anyone else but Israelites. As an individual or couple/family it's not a big deal. Going with a group which stayed together most of the time was just too much of an enticement for me.

I love America too much to leave it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not permanently, but we would like to island hop for at

Aug 14, 2020, 11:38 AM

least a year or so living on a boat. We're probably 15-20 years away from it even being feasible though. Shorter term plan is to get a Bahamas capable boat and dock it at Murrels Inlet or somewhere like that for short getaways throughout the year. The idea is to take the boat various places and just fly home from there. Fly back to the boat on a Friday and pick up where we left off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ll be anxiously awaiting half this board moving

Aug 14, 2020, 12:05 PM

You definitely should turn this into a political debate.

Aug 14, 2020, 12:07 PM

And they still have Interwebs in Canada and Finland.

But dude, it's too ####### cold out there.

It is the P&R forum moran

Aug 14, 2020, 12:09 PM

I heard Canadians are too nice to give out TDs

Aug 14, 2020, 12:12 PM

You should move there and alleviate the butthurt.

Re: I heard Canadians are too nice to give out TDs

Aug 14, 2020, 12:17 PM

Re: I heard Canadians are too nice to give out TDs

Aug 14, 2020, 12:19 PM

Aww man look how cute...a meme

Aug 14, 2020, 12:28 PM

One of my favorite things about you...

Aug 14, 2020, 2:14 PM

Is how you continue to take a thread too seriously long after the other person has clearly turned it into a joke.

Re: I’ll be anxiously awaiting half this board moving

Aug 14, 2020, 1:16 PM [ in reply to I’ll be anxiously awaiting half this board moving ]

Who cares, just as many pubs said they were leaving if Obama got elected to a second term and they are still here. Some people just like to complain and make over the top statements and whiny people will be whiny no matter what their beliefs are. No matter who wins the vast majority of Americans can run with it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. New Zealand. At least back before they became a more popular choice for people doing that exact thing. Haven't looked into it recently.

If we seriously thought about it, it would be Berlin because

Aug 14, 2020, 12:09 PM

it’s so dang cheap compared to other cities in Europe like Amsterdam, London, or Paris. We vacationed in Amsterdam and Berlin two summers ago for 5 days each, and we spent half as much in Berlin (and no, only spent about 8 bucks a day on weed in Amsterdam).

If not Berlin, somewhere in Spain because cities even cheaper than Berlin.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 12:13 PM

Maybe Mexico, Costa Rica, France, Spain, Australia, or NZ. Those are the only places I would consider.

Italy in a heartbeat.

Aug 14, 2020, 12:14 PM

I was stationed there once, and would love to go back permanently. As I mentioned before though, I've got 18 years time in service, so you'd have to pay me a few mil to get me to leave before full retirement.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aah, man, Northern Italy would be great. I was stationed in

Aug 14, 2020, 12:22 PM

the USAF in GE, and took the train once, through the Alps of Switzerland and Italy going to Rome. Breathtaking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you ever get the chance, drive the Splugen Pass...

Aug 14, 2020, 5:55 PM

In Sept '15, the wife in I left Freidrichshafen,GE-> Leichstenstein-> Swiss Alps->Lake Como. The drive up, over and down the Splugen was surreal...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m a quarter Italian and apparently could claim

Aug 14, 2020, 6:05 PM

Spent a week in Dublin in the mid-80s... Everywhere you went

Aug 15, 2020, 1:39 AM

at night, there were bands playing in basements, third floors, etc. and street musicians every other block. It was a cool scene then.

As far as the people, you won't find any more down to earth, though I haven't made it to Australia or NZ ...yet.

Aug 14, 2020, 1:26 PM

I wouldn't mind living in New Zealand or Tasmania (not mainland Australia, there's like 1,000 lethal critters there waiting to kill you.) Also hear Switzerland and parts of Ireland are really cool. And of course I'd very much like to drink my way across Spain and Italy sometime, going from winery to winery.

Canada is bloody cold. As a kid I lived a couple years in the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan, which is actually a good bit further north than Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal...no way, no how would I ever do that again. Ditto for the Norwegian nations; there's a reason their Viking ancestors were always invading everybody; they wanted to be somewhere warm.

I'm actively planning it.

Aug 14, 2020, 1:32 PM

As soon as the house sells, we'll rent here for a bit because our passports are expired, and its a 3-5 month wait right now to get them renewed.

After we get them however, The Bahamas and Barbados are high on the list. The Bahamas because I'm familiar with New Providence/Nassau/Eleuthra. Barbados because they just started a tax incentive program for the next year or so to not have any Barbados income taxes if you come and live there. It only lasts a year from the time you are accepted.

My wife and I don't have any kids and we both work from home, so if they have internet and airport, I can live there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A coworker friend moved to Curacao about 3 years ago.

Aug 14, 2020, 1:38 PM

He still has his house here and rents it out, but also bought property there. He and his wife love it. They have dual citizenship. The most boring job in the world? A Curacao weatherman. Its the same almost everyday, all year long. I look at this thing about once a week, and its the first time I've ever seen it raining:

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm actively planning it.

Aug 14, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to I'm actively planning it. ]

Sounds like a plan. I like it.

I've thought about it, I've always wanted to live by the

Aug 14, 2020, 1:37 PM

beach, wife doesn't, but we've talked about Costa Rica or the USVI. I ahven't pursued it because, have kids still at home and it's been a "retirement plan."

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I moved to Myrtle Beach for 6 years once.....

Aug 14, 2020, 4:00 PM

does that count?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 4:19 PM

I have a professional relationship in Canada that I could turn into an actual job offer if I wanted and it seems more attractive as time goes by.

There's a lot of great things about America but it continually shoots itself in the foot with the strong anti-education current in the country. There is no measure by which one can objectively say that it's the greatest country on earth so it puts things in perspective when you come to accept that. And with absolute nutbaggery like QAnon out there, it seems prone to become a more dangerous place.

So yeah, we've thought about it. And America's downward trajectory will only be slightly offset by a Biden win in November. I think that will simply slow the rate of descent temporarily.

Don’t let the door hit ya

Aug 14, 2020, 4:21 PM

Little Saint James

Aug 14, 2020, 5:58 PM

Kidding of course, just seeing who’s paying attention.

Aug 14, 2020, 7:51 PM

Belize would be nice, it i made half my salary there I could live and retire like a king there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 8:00 PM

Mrs. Spoon and I have considered Costa Rica and Ireland. Would love to see Belize but haven't made it there yet.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic