Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A guy who works for me has a dog that has cancer.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

A guy who works for me has a dog that has cancer.

Mar 2, 2021, 12:26 PM

for the second time. And diabetes. and is blind. The dog is 17. SEVENTEEN.

Dude is putting this dog through chemo.

I'm probably one of the biggest dog lovers around, so I cant say that I blame the guy I know. I understand why he would want to keep his dog alive as long as he can. But what veterinarian encourages this to happen? Or even allows it?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, my dog was 6 and the vet said we could try chemo but

Mar 2, 2021, 12:29 PM

ultimately, it probably wouldn't help. She had one that kills almost ALL the dogs, very little chance of survival, HIGH chance of very expensive vet bills.

I wouldn't have done it anyway. I just don't see doing that to a 17 year old dog, it is 5 years older than I ever expect to keep a dog. 12 years is a damn good life for most dogs.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup, I agree with you.

Mar 2, 2021, 12:31 PM

I like to think I'm pretty far on the right side of the dog lover bell curve too, but when things happen to a pet that require major expenditures, I'm certainly not immune to applying a cost/benefit analysis that's definitely a lot more fiscally conservative than one I would do for a person.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love my dogs...

Mar 2, 2021, 12:32 PM

but if you ever hear me call them my "kids," or "fur babies" - please shoot me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The love of cats is SO WEIRD to me

Mar 2, 2021, 12:35 PM

Sorry Beefsteak. But those cat people on Reddit and Imgur literally ruin the main pages and the things they post are outright cringeworthy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that sums it up quite well.

Mar 2, 2021, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I love my dogs... ]

You could have taken those words right out of my mouth actually.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's becoming harder to love mine

Mar 2, 2021, 12:43 PM [ in reply to I love my dogs... ]

I don't know when it happened or why, but sometime over the past year a switch flipped in my head and I'm having an increasingly difficult time justifying keeping dirty animals in my house that are constantly in my way. I've already banned them from the boat, and quite frankly, it has been 10000X more enjoyable with out them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No-way...nuh-uh to dogs on my boat.

Mar 2, 2021, 12:50 PM

Only thing that would change my mind would be a pontoon or a center console with virtually zero upholstery.

We have friends with no kids and a lab that they bring out on their boat. The first 10 minutes of every tie-up are spent maneuvering this massive swim ladder into place and strapping it to the swim platform so the dog can get in and out of the boat, and the upholstery throughout the boat is just a series of claw holes.

I'll be happy to see my pups when I get off the water and they'll be happy to see me.

Surprisingly, I've only got one little tear from a claw

Mar 2, 2021, 12:56 PM

My breaking point was spending an hour pulling dog hair out of the scuppers and unclogging every drain. That, and the ~45 minutes it took me to wash the mud and stuff out for even a 10 minute boat ride with them. Oh, and the fact that they'd bug the #### out of me constantly while I'm just trying to cruise and drink a beer. The constant need for attention was a lot cuter when I had almost unlimited free time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't mind my dog in the boat too much.

Mar 2, 2021, 1:23 PM [ in reply to No-way...nuh-uh to dogs on my boat. ]

But he's hard headed, ill trained, and doesn't listen. So that causes a problem when its just me trying to deal with him going apeshit barking at pelicans, dolphin, or other dogs.

Its not even a cost thing to me.

Mar 2, 2021, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Yup, I agree with you. ]

But it sounds like it is for the vet. The dog has lived a full life around loyal, loving owners. I think that's pretty much all a dog wants. That, and I'd imagine, to not be in pain.

I always thought when a dog loses its quality of life, that its time to do the compassionate thing and humanely put them down. I mean that's more than we give our closest loved ones.

It's amazing to me how rip-offy so many vets are.

Mar 2, 2021, 12:47 PM

When my large dog was a couple years old, a babysitter left the gate open and he got hit by a car, shattering his front right leg. Wife freaked out, too him to emergency vet who gave him narcotics and put him in a splint until he could have surgery in the morning (and I should have seen warning flags when the vet was in Brentwood).

They put a plate in his leg and we got a jaw dropping $4000 bill.

A month or so later, one of the assistant coaches I was coaching lacrosse with was a vet, and I asked him about it...."Dude, that would have been $400 in my office". Still pisssses me off.

This. If it is a big dog, especially, at 17 he/she/it is in

Mar 2, 2021, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Its not even a cost thing to me. ]

pain

*I didn't want to assume the pronouns there

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like it's a fine line between a vet who cares too much

Mar 2, 2021, 12:45 PM

and one that doesn't care enough. We've gone from one that just throws some pills at whatever you say is wrong, to one that wants to do an MRI for a swollen paw. I'd like to find a happy medium, but not sure if it exists.

17? He needs to put the dog down.

Mar 2, 2021, 1:12 PM

I love my animals but can’t spend crazy money on them. Poster my cat I posted a few months ago that he was disoriented and had some issue. Called the vet and they wanted to bring him in for all types of blood te$ts. I never brought him and now he is close to normal again, he still has a little crook to his head when he runs but is fine in every other way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like someone I used to know....***

Mar 2, 2021, 1:49 PM

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic