Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few nice thoughts appreciated ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

A few nice thoughts appreciated ...

Mar 8, 2016, 10:20 AM

... for an amazing lady who's heading home.

My mother-in-law (insert requisite m-i-l joke here) is coming home from the hospital for the last time today. Well, her body will be. She checked out a while back. The doctors have decided, and we've concurred, that nothing can be achieved by extending what has been an amazing life.

A few weeks shy of her 97th birthday, Daphine was born the day the Spanish Flu outbreak led the NHL to cancel the 1919 Stanley Cup Series. A child of the Depression, she wore potato sack dresses, worked in the tobacco fields and held down two jobs to graduate from Buies Creek Academy, now Campbell University. She chatted with Franklin Roosevelt and several senators, cussed out the Klan when they tried to disrupt an integration meeting, hit a trifecta in her only trip to a horse track ... oh, and did I mention she blew up a 12-seater outhouse at Fort Bragg during World War II? The MPs were looking for Nazi sabateurs for a month after that, never suspecting one of the secretaries tossed a cigarette down the hold and set off some methane.

She loved NASCAR, Wake Forest basketball (them Baptists got to stick together), but I managed to sway her to Clemson football and baseball. She was partial to "that good-looking Johnny Weaver" and thought Ric Flair was a blowhard.

When she first fell ill, doctors said she had maybe a few months. If we were lucky, they said, Daphine would see our daughter graduate eighth grade.

She saw her granddaughter graduate from college. That's how tough she was.

It's been a heck of a run for a heck of a lady. Just praying that her home stretch is quiet.

Thanks.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

prayers Rev***

Mar 8, 2016, 10:27 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: prayers Rev***

Mar 8, 2016, 10:31 AM

REV, sure was an amazing lady!! my prayers are with her and your family!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: prayers Rev******

Mar 8, 2016, 11:24 AM [ in reply to prayers Rev*** ]

You can tell she is a wonderful Mom

Mar 8, 2016, 10:36 AM

based on the Sermon you live every day. My Mom will be 101 on 4/7/2016 if she makes it that far. Her health is declining and she sleeps a lot more than she is awake.

She loves her Tigers and always wants to know when they are on TV.

Prayers and comfort to you and your family during this time. It is hard to watch one go over a period of time(I know).

I just cannot say any more....

Ron

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few nice thoughts appreciated ...

Mar 8, 2016, 10:56 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

What a grand lady and what a grand life.

Mar 8, 2016, 11:00 AM

God is good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prayers to your family for strength & healing my friend***

Mar 8, 2016, 11:00 AM

JESUS...what a Grand Woman & Lady!

Mar 8, 2016, 11:04 AM

Thanks for telling us about her so visually & graphically REV! Peace.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

beautifully written, rev!

Mar 8, 2016, 11:03 AM

though i'm atheist, i share the conviction that we are accountable for our earthly lives..sounds like your mil fulfilled her human responsibility quite well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Wow, sounds like a great and fun lady!

Mar 8, 2016, 11:15 AM

Amazing life and amazing woman. Family should be proud of such a wonderful Matriarch, she leaves a legacy that will endure and memories that will continue her touch on the lives of many. We can only hope that some one will write an life story like hers. Thank you Rev for such a wonderful write up on her life and sorry for her passing when it happens. Stay strong and know GOD is getting a wonderful woman who will be a great addition to his angels.

Steve

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What an amazing life she's lived!

Mar 8, 2016, 11:22 AM

What an example she set for you to live your life by! God bless her and give her comfort, as well as you and the rest of your family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll bet she liked George Becker too. Nice thoughts being

Mar 8, 2016, 11:24 AM

sent...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Yep. And she hated Angelo Mosca...***

Mar 8, 2016, 12:02 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

She must have been one tough lady Rev

Mar 8, 2016, 11:40 AM

She had a daughter that has put up with you.
Just kidding; you said to make m-i-l jokes.
Seriously, she sounds like a wonderful woman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2016, 11:49 AM

Well there are angels waiting around her bed to carry her home. Just think, one day you will see her again well healthy and in the prime of life never to be old again.

What an awesome lady, thanks***

Mar 8, 2016, 11:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing.

Mar 8, 2016, 12:15 PM

Prayers for a peaceful beginning in the hereafter.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Done. Prayers sent out to you and your family***

Mar 8, 2016, 12:30 PM

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Praying for a peaceful end to an awesome life. Praying for you and your

Mar 8, 2016, 12:35 PM

Family.

What a wonderful tribute...

Mar 8, 2016, 1:08 PM

Seems she lived a wonderful life!....."well done, my good and faithful servant."

Mar 8, 2016, 1:18 PM

Sounds like she had a great life. Maybe she will meet my Mom up there.

Thanks for sharing Rev. Peaceful passover for a great lady.***

Mar 8, 2016, 1:32 PM

Mar 8, 2016, 1:39 PM

Prayers done with a few tears!

Mar 8, 2016, 2:05 PM

what an amazing gift you have for putting your thoughts into words. Bless your m-i-l and your wife.
####

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A wonderful tribute. Our thoughts are with her and your

Mar 8, 2016, 2:39 PM

family.

Absolutely RevDodd! Prayers for your Mother in law and the

Mar 8, 2016, 2:59 PM

family!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2016, 10:25 PM

Well written and quite a tribute...and says a lot about you too. Thoughts and prayers for a painless end on this side.

I can only hope to be as eloquent with words.***

Mar 8, 2016, 10:31 PM

Mar 8, 2016, 10:39 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Re: She sounds like an amazing lady praying for the family***

Mar 8, 2016, 10:43 PM

That was kind of you to share, Rev. Warm thoughts to the fam***

Mar 8, 2016, 10:57 PM

Mar 8, 2016, 11:27 PM

Prayers!!!!

Lots of prayers & smiles reading your tribute. Thanks for

Mar 9, 2016, 6:28 AM

sharing.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Mar 9, 2016, 6:58 AM

The thoughts from here are as warm and nice as can be.
The prayers are for peace, strength, and comfort for you all.

Sounds like she is a great lady from the Greatest

Mar 9, 2016, 7:22 AM

Generation. May her last days on earth be peaceful, and prayers to you, your wife, and extended family as you take this last journey with her. You will see her again in the hereafter, where there will be only tears of joy.

Mar 9, 2016, 8:19 AM

May your Mother-In-Law and each of your family know the peace and presence of our Lord Jesus.

Mar 9, 2016, 9:07 AM

Sounds like the type person that is the backbone of our great country.

Mar 9, 2016, 9:48 AM

Sounds like a delightful lady,Rev. May she rest in peace after a long life. Prayers for your family.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm in awe of strong...

Mar 9, 2016, 10:38 AM

women like your mother in law. Those rare, and unfortunately dwindling in number, folks that endured the toughest of times always seem to be the most engaged in living life. Our Lord emphasized desiring our life on this earth but folks like her need no reminders. Many believe their toughness is a result of the times in which they lived but I believe we came through those tough times because people like your mother in law were there as the example, forging on undaunted with courage, grit and a happy heart. I'm thankful for her and that you had her.

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

Determination beats medical facts every time

Mar 9, 2016, 10:21 PM

Glad to hear she persevered despite the predictions. I often see people hang on for a goal despite our best guess as physicians. My grandmother is still chugging along just short of her 97th birthday despite a laundry list of diagnoses. Love hearing your commentaries, just rarely feel the need to chime in and comment.

What a beautiful "obit" - puts a crappy Bball game in

Mar 9, 2016, 10:26 PM

perspective too.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic