Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A few days or a week after we find out about Smith
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

A few days or a week after we find out about Smith

May 3, 2019, 11:07 AM

He is cut loose. Compare to many of the others caught up in this. I think Wade is still technically at LSU and Miller is still at AZ. We arent perfect but at least we did "something" unlike some others

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not only is Miller still at AZ, but he currently has one of

May 3, 2019, 11:08 AM

the top recruiting classes in the country...shocker.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: A few days or a week after we find out about Smith

May 3, 2019, 11:10 AM

Agreed. Glad this book is closed now too!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 11:11 AM

I mean this is an assistant coach we are talking about; he had a $200k contract on the line. Compare that to the head coaches you just name dropped and the legality, money, and buyout terms are a little different. Not to mention, all of this is just hearsay. Until they find a paper trail, there's nothing to base these discussions off of

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His contract was conveniently expiring and we chose not

May 3, 2019, 11:14 AM

to renew. I think that's can easy call. Also, he was only an assistant.

It's a much trickier situation when you have a HC making a lot of money that you actually have to terminate. Those schools will have to take legal action to ensure they fire the coaches "with cause" to avoid having to pay the multi-million dollar buyout fees.

I guess it's possible they are still trying to protect their guys at the risk of a PR hit, but i think they are more likely waiting for all of the information to come out before making a move so that they can minimize their legal risk.

Re: His contract was conveniently expiring and we chose not

May 3, 2019, 11:19 AM

yep valid points. god forbid anyone have a backbone or exercise any leadership. just plow the path of least resistance plotted by some attorney who graduated from CYA-law school. Speaks volumes when people do that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 11:20 AM

The difference is they have active contracts, Steve Smith’s contract expired April 30th, 2019, so it cost Clemson nothing not to renew his contract. Coach Brownell on the other hand has an active contract and therefore to cut ties with him would cost Clemson money, and therefore he still has a job.

Plus, Clemson has no grounds to terminate Brad's contract

May 3, 2019, 3:39 PM

at this time. There is no evidence we know of linking Brad to Smith's comments and recruiting tactics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

cut loose?

May 3, 2019, 11:30 AM

Smith wasn't fired. His contract was non-renewed and I do believe it was the right decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: the next Zion

May 3, 2019, 12:02 PM

Hopefully the next time we recruit a Zion-type player, the bid-taking relative (a.k.a., The Stepfather) will be honest with us.

"You're Clemson," he'll say. "You actually expect my stepson to play basketball for you because you give him free room and board and the opportunity to go to class for free. Ain't no 4-month education worth that. You can go home now."

The mother is the shotcaller in that family...

May 3, 2019, 1:15 PM

and she is the one Nike paid to send Zion to Duke.

They turned down $250K from Kansas. Lord only knows what Nike ended-up paying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I really, really hope the FBI gets to the bottom of this

May 3, 2019, 3:40 PM

with Zion. I believe they will, and I can't imagine Duke getting away with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic