Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any of you Wall St Investment mavens starting to feel
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 824

Any of you Wall St Investment mavens starting to feel

Jan 26, 2021, 8:23 AM

like it's 2000 all over again? Tech stock P/E's are making me seriously nervous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I inch closer to retirement...

Jan 26, 2021, 8:30 AM

I'm thinking the thing to do is pull all of my money out of the stock right now and dump it into the street drugs market.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get it off Wall Street and on

Jan 26, 2021, 8:44 AM

Cherry Rd?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Always invest hyper-locally for the best returns.***

Jan 26, 2021, 8:49 AM

If I were in Rock Hill, I would invest 10, maybe 20

Jan 26, 2021, 8:52 AM

dollars into a Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich and the world's most perfect waffle fries at Michael's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's still a hidden gem.

Jan 26, 2021, 8:56 AM

People don't talk about it much, but the food never disappoints. Haven't been since the pandemic started. I need to get back over there. Last time in I had a steak and it was freaking excellent.

My son, as much of a burger connoisseur as one can be at 17,

Jan 26, 2021, 8:58 AM

still swears it's the best one he's ever had.

Friendly Billiards is the best burger in town now.***

Jan 26, 2021, 9:02 AM

Why settle for Michael's, when you could have

Jan 26, 2021, 11:08 AM [ in reply to If I were in Rock Hill, I would invest 10, maybe 20 ]

Alexander Michael's a mere 30 minutes away?

https://almikestavern.com/

Order What It Is, attain power of invisibility.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buy a pill press while you still can!

Jan 26, 2021, 10:02 AM [ in reply to As I inch closer to retirement... ]

I was hoping we could see sustained $1 a round ammo so that I could barter for some cocaine. Feminized marijuana seeds are also a solid choice, hopefully by 2022 law enforcement will be spread so thin growing a proper outdoor crop won't come with quite the risk.

Have you looked into human trafficking at all? I know it's the most lucrative, but I really hate being around large groups of people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buy a pill press while you still can!

Jan 26, 2021, 10:09 AM

https://youtu.be/SGlWB19RhFs

For some reason on a thread like this

Jan 26, 2021, 10:17 AM [ in reply to As I inch closer to retirement... ]

I begin reading RHTig's responses like they are serious. I am like look at this guy being all serious.

then I keep reading and I realize I have fallen into another RH trap. Then in my mind, I can see RH holding a beer going

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IDK, man, high unemployment, uncertain recovery, housing

Jan 26, 2021, 8:50 AM

market en fuego and stock market way up but seemingly disconnected from the economy?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also we're going to forgive student loans so people who

Jan 26, 2021, 9:20 AM

couldn't pay their loans can go and borrow money for houses.

Re: Any of you Wall St Investment mavens starting to feel

Jan 26, 2021, 8:50 AM

In these trying times, it's important to remember the advice given by  business guru Warren Buffett : wallstreetbets

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

A colleague back in 2000 went in hard on tech stocks

Jan 26, 2021, 9:05 AM

I was telling him I didn't see it, no tanglible assets plus the companies were losing money.

He told me: "It's the new economy man, you just don't understand."

He lost 90% of his "gains" (I say that since it was paper gains only.)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we will come out of the 2020 recession just fine

Jan 26, 2021, 9:09 AM

There is a lot of cash built up in our economy right now.

If you kept your job and your pay check stayed the same, you net worth probably went up a good bit last year. You either paid off debt or saved or invested. There will be a lot of consumer spending this year once things open back up.

If you are worried about tech stocks stay away from that sector or pull back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're #### right my net worth went up

Jan 26, 2021, 9:11 AM

I have a pallet deck AND a chicken coop

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And your only 3 hours of hard work away from some new to you

Jan 26, 2021, 9:23 AM

black spray painted press particle board counter tops.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Black spraypaint??? Get real.

Jan 26, 2021, 9:29 AM

Take some used motor oil, cut it with diesel fuel. It makes an awesome walnut stain.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I'm programmed to think it's all going to burst

Jan 26, 2021, 9:18 AM

I work in high end real estate and our office has sold everything, we literally have like 5 properties left to sell but they are the outliers. Our sweet spot is 3-6 million homes and we aren't even having to market properties at this point, everything is going into a bidding war and contracting above asking.

I've never seen a real estate market like this one, not even pre 2007.

Broker swears inflation is built in and the market is real (he's a former Wall St guy) but I'm keeping cash reserves.

The housing market is what concerns me too

Jan 26, 2021, 9:21 AM

houses out here in BFE are going 50-100k over what I think they are worth.

We cleaned up buying our house down here in FL in 2011

Jan 26, 2021, 9:25 AM

after the market collapsed in Florida.

If we were to sell we'd have to spend 3 times what we are in it to get worth upgrading to. I'm hoping the market slows and I can scoop up a Yankee's impulse buy in a year or two.

Wife of and I have had that conversation

Jan 26, 2021, 9:27 AM

Sure we can sell the house for 50k more than it's worth and use the profit to buy a bigger house. But that bigger house is also priced 50k more than it's worth. So if the bubble ever pops, we'd be upside down.

Sell now, KOA your days away until the bubble bursts, then

Jan 26, 2021, 9:30 AM

jump bask into the housing market!

I have two friends who sold now and moved into parent's

Jan 26, 2021, 9:34 AM

house OR family property (free) and are just waiting it out.

I assume they will come out really good, but they could have held on for another year and made 20% more.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No amount of money is worth moving back in

Jan 26, 2021, 9:35 AM

with my parents

One set did it and moved into Mom's house (dad is passed)

Jan 26, 2021, 9:38 AM

and I believe they built her a suite in the garage. She has s separate entrance, etc so it is like living in a connected townhouse with your MIL. She does babysit, I believe, which is nice.

The other is next door to their parents, just in a much smaller house that was their grandmothers. It's a pretty good setup TBH, if you are just banking paychecks with no mortgage.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the r/wsb movement is skrong mane, plus Fed

Jan 26, 2021, 9:21 AM

fascinating to watch. didn't get on the GME run but poked around with some BB calls that printed. Going to just watch it today and see what happens. Leave 90% of your portfolio as is, but take the 10% and gamble with the autists.

I thought about taking profits on my big positions I made in March, but given the election outcome, no one is going to touch the big tech guys. They're ticker will continue to creep up, so I'm going to just keep buying the dips.

The difference btwn now and 2000, though, is the amount of money in the market. The Fed is going to keep printing and buying ####. So yes, there's an asset bubble, but there's really no where else for the money to go unless some serious MMs (aka manipulators) pull out (which will then force the Fed to inject more capital).

This is what I've been alluding to with my Janet and JPow references. Janet was the first Fed Chair to posit that long term low interest rates would not lead to hyper inflation. She proved to be somewhat correct, in that inflation hasn't occured (yet), but the side effect to that has been the massive asset bubbles in the equities and real estate market due to the cheap money and QE. This has ultimately led to the outrageous growth in the wealth gap. These policies will be put into overdrive over the next 4 years, IMO, so keep buying.

I sweater gawd, you could have written this in Russian and I

Jan 26, 2021, 9:31 AM

would have understood it the same.

I am with you

Jan 26, 2021, 9:33 AM

I normally TU his investment posts because he seems like he knows what he is talking about

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I just assume I am too poor to understand it and just shake

Jan 26, 2021, 9:35 AM

my head wondering if I am supposed to be afraid for my retirement plans.

He said keep buying because stonks only go up***

Jan 26, 2021, 9:36 AM [ in reply to I sweater gawd, you could have written this in Russian and I ]

My employer will continue to draw money out of my check and

Jan 26, 2021, 9:39 AM

put it in my 401k, is that doing it right?

TL;DR

Jan 26, 2021, 9:38 AM [ in reply to I sweater gawd, you could have written this in Russian and I ]

money is cheap with low interest rates, this allows much more money to be put into the housing market and the stock exchange. This is causing bubbles in both location. The Big Tech stocks aren't going down and it may be benefiocial to be risky with 10% of your money.

The Fed won't allow 2000 to happen again.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So moving money within your retirement accounts (10%)

Jan 26, 2021, 9:40 AM

into tech stocks is a good idea? Nah fam, Imma just let the targeted retirement plan do its thing and hope my kids enjoy that money when I die early.

Sames.***

Jan 26, 2021, 9:49 AM

moving money within your retirement accounts

Jan 26, 2021, 10:05 AM [ in reply to So moving money within your retirement accounts (10%) ]

or moving available capital from a savings account, into a more leveraged vehicle is what I was specifically talking about. basically money that if you lost it, wouldn't really kill you. 10 - 20% of liquidity is my personal number b/c I'm young, no kids, blah blah blah

my retirement stuff is all boring, dividend focused, long term traditional BS. my brokerage account is printing tendies. the only trade I lost was my second short, and that's b/c I placed it like 3 days before the first stimulus package was dropped. That was also the same time I bought into a lot of the big boys so it worked out, but just pointing out you can lose, a lot, very quickly. So keeping the amount low limits the risk.

the larger take away is the long term negative affects to having cash right now. cash accounts aren't paying jack sheet, so you're a sitting duck if you have more than half your stuff in cash. AT LEAST put it in bonds, or open a brokerage account and give it to buffett or put in another ETF.

My liquidity is sunk into

Jan 26, 2021, 10:07 AM

food for three growing kids that eat every cottam thing I can put in the house. That and cocaine.

Re: moving money within your retirement accounts

Jan 26, 2021, 10:11 AM [ in reply to moving money within your retirement accounts ]

printing tendies

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Not really. We all knew the tech bubble would pop in 2000

Jan 26, 2021, 9:50 AM

or sometime around there. SOME people knew the housing bubble would burst around 2007-8. Only reason I knew that was coming was in 2003 when my high school friend tried to push an ARM with 5 year teaser rate tied to LIBOR, while qualifying these two recent college grads making less than 40K combined for a $400,000k house with only $10k downpayment. It was insane. If we built a $400K house, we could pay the $700/mo for the first five years, then it jumped to $2400.....no way we could afford that. I asked my good friend (who would get a much larger commission on selling me that garbage) what happens in 5 years and we can't afford that? He said to sell the house then. Market's hot. Use the appreciation to get a bigger down payment on a bigger mortgage, rinse and repeat. That was his advice. I asked him what happens in 5 years when everyone who has these mortgages can't afford them suddenly when the rates jump and they all try to sell? What happens to the housing market then? He said that wouldn't happen. We took the 30-year fixed for less than half what we qualified for. And, it happened. Almost 5 years exactly after we declined that crap mortgage offer.

The Big Short is an interesting movie. Even though I saw it coming, we only saw one part of it that was shown in the movie, with the lenders and the buyers at the bottom of the pyramid. But the movie gives you a much broader picture of everything that happened above the base level with lenders and borrowers.

Looking at today I don't see a bubble really in any one area. Tech, sure. But it's not limited to tech really. It's a very broad bubble. They have diversified the bubble really into all areas. Business loans. Commercial real estate. Tech. Housing again. Medical, pharmaceuticals, biotech, education, you name it. Government debt. No, I don't really see any one sector standing above the others massively in irresponsibility. It's very broad, and it's really stocks in general. Debt is cheap, and we're throwing it at everything really. It has made successful companies have insane market caps. Meanwhile, it's allowed a lot of marginal companies who could never stay in business to thrive.

I think the next bubble isn't a tech bubble. Or a housing bubble. The next bubble to pop is what makes the bubbles in the first place. It will be a dollar bubble that pops. 5% inflation, if it hit tomorrow, would decimate our economy more than all the bubbles we've had, combined. It doesn't take a lot of inflation either. Wall Street knows debt makes marginal companies look very good, and very good companies look insanely good. It also makes marginal companies stay afloat who shouldn't. So when that inflation ticks up, it's a broad popping of everything leveraged in debt. A lot of companies have much of their earnings leveraged with debt. You can have a company making an 8% profit and barely getting by, that company can then leverage debt, service that debt at 4% or whatever, increase sales, and make a 12% profit spending the debt, and only paying 4% to service it. You can use cheap debt to inflate profits and your stock price. It makes them look better, and that makes their stock inflate. Some companies, debt keeps them afloat entirely. Real estate...same. And what happens to mortgages when inflation skyrockets to 5% from 2%? Well, what happens is they don't increase the rates to 5%, nope. ALL the mortgages they have financed below the inflation rate, the new ones must be that much ABOVE the rate of inflation to offset those losses. So that means 5% inflation yields about an 8-10% 30-year rate. Maybe more if they foresee longterm inflation and the obvious decrease in volume from higher rates.

Inflation. Debt. That's the biggest of all bubbles. That's the entire bottle of Palmolive leaking out under the kitchen sink. No more bubbles to pop, because the liquid soap that makes the bubbles disappears.

Going back to the housing market collapse. Why/how did that exactly translate into a stock selloff and broad economic slump. I mean you have stocks, and you have houses. How do the two connect? Answer is with debt. Crap mortgages were packed into securities, which were then sold as an asset on which further debt could be issued. When the mortgages defaulted, the debt became crap, and that debt asset became toxic debt. Then, everything financed with mortgage leveraged debt, also became toxic as were the companies "too big to fail" who leveraged that debt. And Ken Lay with Enron actually provided the financial roadmap on how the Federal Reserve "fixed" the mortgage crisis. And we are to believe those companies "too big to fail", who wrote off their toxic debt to shell companies and made their books green again......we're to believe that they somehow repaid all of that written-off debt in 2-3 years and all is well again?

Do I think this will actually happen? A collapse? Possibly. The other option is a steady, controlled decline over many years. Something akin to Japan's lost decade. That's how you walk back a debt crisis without a total financial collapse. Japan once ran on debt much as we do now. They had their debt bubble pop, and instead of a collapse, they had a very long, protracted, and managed decline. I tend to think we go the way of Japan really. We've managed the climb so well for 30-40 years, I see no reason we can't manage the hangover from it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great take. I sont see any way around what you said.

Jan 27, 2021, 6:28 AM

Drop $10 Trillion of new, debt financed money out of an airplane, and results are predictable. The unpredictable part is the short term market movements as that money winds its way through the economy. We discuss weekly and monthly trends, and we make investment decisions on those, but the destination has to be generally higher prices for everything. Put all the technical financial terms on it one wants, but there is where it ends up.

One comment above said inflation hasn't happened yet, but it has. It hasn't happened yet in goods and services, but 10 years ago $100k would buy you and instrument that paid you $6500. 5 years ago that same 100k bought 2500. Today it buys almost 0. If inflation is an increase in the money supply relative to production, and if the result is dollars buying less, there it is. In the financial market, money has gone to worthless. But of course it cant remain hemmed up there forever, hence the inflation bubble you mention,

I had not considered a controlled fall like Japan. I dont know what the mechanism of that would be, but that might be a way out. One can hope.

I dont know if you were in the workforce in the late 70's, early 80's, when inflation was between 6% - $10, but it can get a little nerve wracking. I was young, just graduated, so it didn't affect me except in mortgage rate. We gor inflationary salary increases, life moved on. I dont know what managing a portfolio was like. Interest rates matched, so people were not afraid of having cash: they bought 10% CD's. Maybe that's a point: even then, cash would get you about 2% above inflation, while today that is not so. It's negative today (see inflation being in the financial markets).

Bottom line: There is always a demand for food, tires and clothes, so production will continue. If we dont have a depression type collapse (I dont know what causes that or how to foresee it), a slow inflation rise seems survivable. If you were in 1930 and held cash, I think you were okay. Its just that nobody had any. As a depression approaches all the signs say holding cash is death - people borrowed money to invest - then overnight its golden. So, hopong for a controlled inflation, I guess. Is that your take?

Replies: 41
| visibility 824
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic