Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lagavulin 16 > Scotch Opinions ITT
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 390

Lagavulin 16 > Scotch Opinions ITT

Feb 26, 2021, 2:58 PM

So I've had Balvenie Doublewood (not peaty) and I know I liked it. I also had both Lagavulin 16 year and Bruichladdich Islay Barley the same night, both of them are Islays so they are Peaty. I am craving some more, but I cannot remember if there is THAT much difference in those two bottles. The price might be the biggest difference, $60 for the Buichladdich and $100 for the Lagavulin 16.

Any of you guys experienced enough with the scotches to know if I should spring for the Lagavulin, assuming they are both available. Any other suggestions for scotch or dickbags for me to eat?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dewars is good***

Feb 26, 2021, 3:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I've had plenty of Dewars on ice at the Country Club with my

Feb 26, 2021, 3:02 PM

Pops and gotten well lubricated from that. J&B as well.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to drink Lagavulin, but changed to Laphroaig 10 year

Feb 26, 2021, 3:13 PM

old. The Lagavulin is so strongly flavored. Too much so, perhaps. The Laphroaig is flavorful, but quite a bit smoother to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Neat or splash of water?***

Feb 26, 2021, 3:19 PM

Neat or a single cube.

Feb 26, 2021, 7:00 PM

No water.

Went to the golf course to walk a quick nine and just got back. Ready for a coldbeer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Laphroaig is smooth af

Feb 26, 2021, 3:43 PM [ in reply to I used to drink Lagavulin, but changed to Laphroaig 10 year ]

That is the scotch that got me hooked

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love almost all Islay scotch.

Feb 26, 2021, 3:32 PM

I have spent way too much on it for sure.

Right now, I would buy Port Charlotte 10yr or a Kilchoman Single Malt Islay, although Arbeg 10 has been a staple of mine for many years.

Back to your question, I have had both, but if you held a gun to my head, I could not recommend the extra bucks for the Lagavulin.

Hope this helps.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The peaty taste, for me, is an acquired taste

Feb 26, 2021, 3:42 PM

but, yes, I too have spent many a dollar on Islay.

I drink it all neat.

The only bad scotch is Irish whiskey

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Scotch drinker for decades... and then

Feb 26, 2021, 4:08 PM

Yep. MacCallen was my staple back then... and then I discovered some really tasty dark rums.
1) Abuelo XV is off the charts delish.
2) Red Harbor. Company started a couple of years ago by two South Carolina guys. Distillery is just north of Charleston
3) Zaya. A touch on the sweet side but smooth as... well... you know.
Try any of the above and expensive single malts might move to the rear view mirror. Your taste buds will be happy and your billfold with thank you... well... maybe except for the Abuelo.
Cheers!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got hooked on Ron del Barrilito while in Puerto Rico.

Feb 26, 2021, 4:15 PM

The three star is about all you can find stateside, and it's rare, but the five star is the stuff if you can get your hands on it.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lagavulin 16 > Scotch Opinions ITT

Feb 26, 2021, 4:32 PM

I don't drink much of the peaty stuff. I like it occasionally for a change. I enjoy honey and fruit notes. If you like the Balvenie, you should try Aberlour 14. Both mature in sherry oak casks. My go to is still Oban - typically 14.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All good.

Feb 26, 2021, 6:43 PM

I have Oban and Aberlour if I am not in an Islay mood.

And Balvenie, about 4 different bottles. Interesting enough is that Balvenie does a Peat Week, which is a very lightly peated scotch, but I love it. If you see it grab a bottle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All good.

Feb 26, 2021, 8:49 PM

Thanks - always looking to try a good new whisky

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 390
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic