Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Lesson Learned
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,845

A Lesson Learned

Dec 23, 2019, 8:17 PM

I know this story has been posted sometime in the past but I'm not going to check to see when it occurred and if I am using the same exact words. It was a lesson I learned during the Christmas season many, many years ago, truly befitting of the Christmas season.

This was during the great depression which seemed to last forever in my old home town, During the Christmas season, the church my family attended had a Christmas party for all of the children. I didn't realize it at the time but the small gifts we received were the only gifts some of those in attendance would receive. I was too young to even known the financial situation of anyone.

The women prepared drinks and other goodies for the group. Several of the men, including my Dad, donated money to purchase fruit and candy for each child. My Dad was the local railroad agent and telegrapher and fortunately,never lost his job during the depression.

The last part of the party was the arrival of Santa Claus who gave each child a small sack containing an orange, an apple and candy. My Dad motioned for my older brother and I to come over where he was sitting. He suggested we give our sack of goodies to certain children. Frankly, I wasn't too happy with his suggestion but I had learned at an earlier age that his suggestions demanded compliance.

I was still a bit peeved when we arrived home. We went to the dining room and on the table was fruit, candy and other goodies and I could have all I wanted. My Dad faced my brother and I and told us the Dad's of those he suggested we whom we should give our goodies did not have a job and there would not be much Christmas at their house. I suppose I was still too young and selfish to really understand what he was trying to tell us.

I suppose what my Dad was trying teach me some how bore fruit before the next Christmas party, The same routine, the same small sack with an apple, an orange and candy. My brother and I walked over to my Dad and asked him to whom we should give our "stuff". He suggested several names and off we went.

A lesson learned.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Lesson Learned

Dec 23, 2019, 9:26 PM

Great story Uncle Joe21. Merry Christmas to you sir !

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2019, 9:45 PM

That sounds like not only longevity run in through your genes/DNA Joe, but big compassionate hearts overflowing with compassion for others does also!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2019, 9:44 PM

What a great Dad! Merry Christmas , and thanks for the great life lesson!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 24, 2019, 10:43 AM

Most of us know of the depression era, but cannot fathom the hardships experienced during that time. The experience of this time period helped produce what we refer to as the Greatest Generation!

Joe21, thanks for the insights and history lesson. A great lesson learned and one to be shared.

Merry Christmas tiger nation. GO TIGERS, beat the buckeye!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,845
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic