Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Different Perspective
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

A Different Perspective

Jul 6, 2020, 11:33 AM

I have read numerous posts re wearing or not wearing a mask, old folks are going to die from the vovir-19 and young people will not be affected, the government can't tell me what I can or can't do and on and on. Most of you know I am old (approaching 99) and was involved in WW2 and the Korean War. That doesn't make me any better or any worse than anyone else. I respect people of all ages. If I had a communicable disease or virus of any type, I would do all in my power to prevent it's spread to anyone, no exceptions. I hope I have enough common sense to recognize this is my responsibility without the government or anyone else telling me what to do. Personally, I don't like wearing a mask so I stay home most of the time but when I do go out, common sense reminds me it's not only protection for me but also a protection for every one else. I don't want to die and I don't want to be responsible for infecting someone else. Does that make sense?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In addition...

Jul 6, 2020, 11:38 AM

if the increase in cases doesn't start to significantly decline, football season could be in serious jeopardy.

So, save our season, wear a friggin' mask, and minimize the spread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: In addition...very true

Jul 6, 2020, 12:10 PM

and speaking of Jeopardy. They may not get to make new episodes for a while

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Things are constantly evolving, but current trend

Jul 6, 2020, 1:27 PM [ in reply to In addition... ]

seems to indicate it's unlikely we have fall football. I'm not a doctor, just a nurse, but hard to see it. Hope I'm wrong for lots of reasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Speaking entirely for myself...

Jul 6, 2020, 1:42 PM

proceed with the season as scheduled but not allow fans to attend would be better than no season at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree completely. Though it's hard to imagine no band,

Jul 6, 2020, 2:09 PM

no cheerleaders, no crowd, and therefore no homefield advantage.. Like, no roar after a big play.. How might that effect momentum etc...

Hope we get a season!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I agree completely. Though it's hard to imagine no band,

Jul 6, 2020, 3:11 PM

With no fans, the band's and cheerleaders would have plenty of space to social distance. Just sayin

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would likely pipe in the band playing Tiger Rag, crowd

Jul 6, 2020, 3:15 PM [ in reply to I agree completely. Though it's hard to imagine no band, ]

cheering after a good play, and maybe boos when a referee makes a bad call.

Well probably not the third one.

But you get the idea.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

So, we can get tips from Wake Forest on how to

Jul 8, 2020, 2:38 PM

accomplish this. Good thing they are in the ACC and will help us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Things are constantly evolving, but current trend

Jul 6, 2020, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Things are constantly evolving, but current trend ]

not seeing a "just" there considering what you do. Very much to the contrary. You are a key player. A real hero

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where does the rate of transmission need to be be to allow

Jul 8, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Things are constantly evolving, but current trend ]

for football season to start, and if the rate is at X allowable rate, how will it be maintained once football and other sports start?

People keep talking about slowing the rate to allow sports. Please explain how that will prevent or even reduce transmission once sports start?

For that matter, and this may sound harsh, but how does slowing the rate of transmission prevent high-risk folks from catching it? It will remain a risk, regardless of rate, until there is a vaccine.

I am a mask wearer, but please explain how wearing masks

Jul 8, 2020, 4:22 PM [ in reply to In addition... ]

will save football season. Even if masks do theoretically slow the spread, how will slowing the spread allow football to go on as if the virus has been eradicated? It makes no logical sense to think slowing the vitus now will somehow prevent it from being transmitted once football starts. Please help me understand your thinking.

Whoever the TDer is, I'm honestly looking for mature, rational

Jul 8, 2020, 4:58 PM

discussion on this matter of "slowing it will save football season". I would love to share some grown-up discourse on this. Let's me adults here, okay?

Re: Whoever the TDer is, I'm honestly looking for mature, rational

Jul 8, 2020, 5:32 PM

Slow it down so when there are flair ups (which will happen), they will hopefully be on a smaller scale, and easier to put them out....or at least get a handle on things.

Since this thing started I've been a Debbie Downer regarding prospects for a fall college football season. Still am. But I believe the above rationale is how folks hope (myself included) masks will save football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Different Perspective

Jul 6, 2020, 11:44 AM

Make sense and you posted it on the right board!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

common sense is not so common***

Jul 6, 2020, 11:56 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: common sense is not so common***

Jul 6, 2020, 12:10 PM

What you say Joe is 110% correct. It’s painful to know there are so many who care only for themselves but we have all learned a lot from this awful event in our lives. Stay safe. I expect to attend your 100th party and expect you to be at mine!

You sound like an ole dinosaur, Joe

Jul 6, 2020, 12:16 PM

You must come from a generation that had good manners and actually cared about other people instead of just thinking it's "all about you."

I've heard about people like you but didn't know they actually existed.

Boy you got that right billy

Jul 7, 2020, 4:44 PM

And joe as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 12:18 PM

It makes PERFECT SENSE Joe, and what you say and feel are the exact feeling that I have also, and I don't go around or get close to any human other than my wife without a mask fully covering my mouth and nose. If I was to get infected with the covid-19 virus, and if it didn't kill me bc I'm pushing 68 and a user of 100 units of insulin daily bc I am diabetic, I wouldn't leave my house for at least 3-4 days after I had been told by a MD that I was safe from infecting another person. I personally just don't think young people have thought about how would they really feeling knowing that their carelessness cause another person their life. I mean there is no way that I would knowingly cause the death of another person unless, they were attempting to harm me or a member of my family, or harming another without just cause, like a terrorist harming or killing innocent people. I say that bc if I'm ever where an active terrorist is hurting or killing people, I will be armed, and I will risk my life to end theirs to save the innocent!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"if I'm ever where an active terrorist is hurting or killing people"

Jul 6, 2020, 12:28 PM

I kneel for 2 things: 1. Jesus Christ, 2. Get a steady shot with my rifle.

Go Tigers AND Stay Well Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Spot on Joe. Thank you. Too many ME, ME, ME

Jul 6, 2020, 12:20 PM

folks out there.

Go Tigers AND Stay Well Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Jul 6, 2020, 12:21 PM

Joe21® You are truly one of a kind!! Thank you for all that you do and for all that you have done!! GO TIGERS!!!

Yes.

Jul 6, 2020, 12:24 PM

Perfect sense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 12:42 PM

If I’ve learned one thing during this pandemic it’s that personal responsibility and common sense are in even shorter supply than I had expected. I cherish the personal freedoms and liberties that Mr Joe and so many others have fought and sacrificed to preserve. However, those freedoms demand responsibility and some amount of self sacrifice. It’s always been intended to be a two way street.

Well said***

Jul 6, 2020, 3:02 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks Joe. And yes, makes perfect sense.***

Jul 6, 2020, 1:24 PM

null

Jul 6, 2020, 2:16 PM

You think like most of us. That's why it is so odd that some people don't understand that or are so willing to be selfish. It's mind boggling.

Makes perfect sense Joe!***

Jul 6, 2020, 2:21 PM

I believe it's a consensus--you make perfect sense.

Jul 6, 2020, 2:50 PM

Thanks for posting this, Joe. Stay safe out there.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: I believe it's a consensus--you make perfect sense.

Jul 6, 2020, 3:43 PM

Thanks Joe21. While I posted a little while back about my take on this Covid 19 thing along with other things going on during this crazy year. One thing that I do, do is wear a mask when going in to stores or other public places. I do this out of a respect for others that may be high risk. I do think more testing does show more positive cases. That's only common sense that it would. I am a hand washer but I've always been a little OCD about that but that's kind of a good thing. I still don't agree with a lot of the left wing stuff but that won't make me hate someone and I will give a TU to anyone when I see a post or comment regardless of which side of the Isle they are on. God Bless each and Everyone of You.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 4:51 PM

Not on this board does it make sense, unfortunately.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Jul 6, 2020, 5:47 PM

Thanks, Joe. The most sensible post in recent times on here. Just celebrated my 91st on the 4 th and, like you, want to be around a while longer. It looks like people would understand that people would realize that we expect and hope that others will not do harm to us and therefore we have an obligation to not do things that will harm others. That's a basic element in creating a civil society.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 5:59 PM

Joe - Certainly not disagreeing with you, but.... Taking into account that the surgeon general himself was actually essentially mocking people for wearing masks as recently as late February, and the "facts" about this virus seem to change almost daily, some skepticism should be expected. Not to mention the contradictory orders from governors, etc. The American people, given facts and accurate information, will almost always do the right thing, I believe. It is unfortunate that politics and different outcome agenda seem to have clouded and distorted the information flow. On all "sides"... (although there shouldn't be "sides" on something like this). Thanks for your service, your wisdom, and your perspective, as always.

Jul 7, 2020, 9:35 PM

Easy. The surgeon general is a trump fearing puppet.

Jul 7, 2020, 10:04 PM

And what was Pelosi when she marched maskless thru Chinatown for the cameras in order to "prove" Trump wrong on the travel ban?

A "selfless leader"? A politician standing for "thought, reason and science"?

Give it a rest. At that point the only ones who knew what we were up against were the Chinese, and they weren't telling. First generation masks are barely helpful, but yet they are helpful except for certain situations.

At least we haven't reached the UK stage, where private citizens send up drones to catch mask and shelter-in-place violators and inform the local constabulary.

Really? Where in the world do you get that from?

Jul 8, 2020, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: A Different Perspective ]

Don Lemon?

Best post I've read on TNet in months.

Jul 7, 2020, 4:37 PM

Thank you, sir.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best post I've read on TNet in months.

Jul 7, 2020, 9:44 PM

Great post, Joe! I notice you have shamed the self-centered no maskers from posting!

Mr. Joe, your perspective should be the ONLY perspective

Jul 8, 2020, 2:31 PM

when it comes to this mask stuff, because your perspective is pure, Common Sense. But, as we continue to unfortunately see, Common Sense is not common at all these days. If fact, it seems to be rare as Dual Unicorn Horns. Keep trying, hopefully at least a few people will listen and take good advice.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic