Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Coincidence
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

A Coincidence

Jan 24, 2018, 8:10 PM

Bill Curry was a member of the University of Florida football team just before WW2. Bill was not only a great athlete, he was a straight A student and a super guy. Bill and I worked together one summer at UF. Along came the war and I did not know where he had gone. During the war, I went to Paris on R & R. One day while in Paris, I went to an open mess. One of the other GIs sitting by me asked where I was from. When I told him Florida, he said, "I'm also from Florida". Then we discovered we were both at the Univ. of Florida before the war. He told me that Bill Curry was his CO and was killed in action. I then told him I knew Bill real well.

When my family and I came to Clemson in 1955, my oldest daugher was 5.The following year she entered the first grade and now we were eligible for the PTA. At one of the PTA meetings my wife and I met a young couple who had just moved to Clemson. They too, had a daughter in the first grade. During our conversation we discovered the wife was a native of Quincy, FL. I told her I knew a young man from Quincy who was on the Gator football team before WW2. I then told her the story about my conversation with the GI in Paris. I then asked her if she knew a Bill Curry. Her response, "he was my brother".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Curiosity

Jan 25, 2018, 11:31 PM

Do you keep a daily (or regular) journal?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: Curiosity

Jan 26, 2018, 11:40 AM

No. I don't keep a "every day" journal. I kept a diary when I traveled and my time in Pakistan. If I happen to recall some event, I'll jot down the main point and try to reconstruct the whole story if I can remember some of the details. My main attempt is to stick with the truth as I can recall it.

When my grandchildren were young, they asked me to write stories of my service during WW2, the Korean War and my childhood. Naturally, there are some stories I will never write and some that are just impossible for me to put into words. I have enough stories for two books but am too lazy to follow through and get them published.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do other elephants say to an elephant with

Jan 27, 2018, 9:34 AM

a good memory: 'You have the memory of a Joe21.'

I thouroughly enjoy reading your stories. I find fascinating the level of detail you are able to recall for each story. Keep them coming.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Re: A Coincidence

Jan 25, 2018, 11:39 PM

Joe I have to ask,are you Robert Thorne McRae?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2018, 11:24 AM

LOL. I doubt Robert was a figment of anyone's imagination before WW2.

Here is another coincidence

Jan 26, 2018, 6:54 AM

Here is another coincidence,

I grew up in Sumter. My 2nd or 3rd cousin has a business in Sumter but he lives about 30 minutes away in Summerton/Manning area. About 15 years ago he got a phone call from Sumter Police in the middle of the night saying the alarm was sounding at his business indicating someone had broken into it. So at 2 AM my cousin got in his car to drive to his business in Sumter to meet police there. On the way to Sumter my cousin had a horrible head on collision. EMS rushed all to the hospital. The driver of the other car died as a result from his injuries. It turns out that driver was the person who broke into his business.

Re: Here is another coincidence

Jan 26, 2018, 7:02 AM

WOW.

OAN:The Summerton Diner is awesome . I wish I could get there today for the fried fish.

Sounds more like Karma than coincidence in that case.

Jan 26, 2018, 7:28 AM [ in reply to Here is another coincidence ]

nm.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Twlight Zone.***

Jan 26, 2018, 11:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2018, 12:54 PM

I was playing in a golf tournament in Greensboro, NC, and arriving at the first tee we encountered the starter, an older gentleman who I recognized as being a Clemson man. I called to him, hello Clemson, and he acted as if he never heard me but proceeded to tell us the rules for the day regarding carts on fairways, etc. When he was finished, he looked at me and asked, how did you know I was Clemson? I replied, I see that pretty ring. I told him I was a graduate and that my Dad was class of '44. He asked, what's your Dad's name? I told him and he said, you see these cold chills on my arm, your Dad was not only my roommate at Clemson, but the best man at my wedding. I got out of the cart, took my hat off, and practically shouted, Mr. Joe Jolly! This was a man I had heard about all my life but never thought I would ever meet. I learned more than a few things about my father including how he got the nickname that was used to address him in his Taps.

Always enjoy your stories Joe, keep em coming.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welllllll - are you gonna keep us in suspense ?***

Jan 27, 2018, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 27, 2018, 9:56 AM

Joe, I will not try to overshadow you by telling a story about me. I want to thank you again and all like you who did so much for us. With your humility you share with us a window into your life, which in my opinion has been and continues to be quite remarkable. I believe you said your daughter helps you at times, I would like to ask you to set as many of your life experiences down, that they may be shared with future generations. In closing, thank you, for bringing balance to this sometimes unbalanced world.

Warm Regards,
Purple Gun Stock 15

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, not sure if I believe in coincidences any more..

Jan 27, 2018, 9:56 AM

I have come to believe everything happens for a purpose.
Anyway, I really enjoy your stories. Keep them coming!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic