Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
9 game conference schedule vs. conference championship game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

9 game conference schedule vs. conference championship game

Oct 11, 2018, 10:54 AM

Can someone explain to me why the talking heads on the radio are so focused on creating across the board 9 game conference schedules for all power 5 teams in order to build consistency and data points for comparing teams for CFP consideration. Then in the next breath they say that being in the conference championship game isn’t necessary, it’s all about the four best teams. Ironic how they put so much stock in playing a more difficult team, but then completely disregard a team that doesn’t even play a 13th game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 9 game conference schedule vs. conference championship game

Oct 11, 2018, 12:04 PM

I dont agree with the champ game, that should matter. There are exceptions to that though. Example would be: what if one year FSU lost 2 OC games and one in the other division, but beat Clemson by 3 points and kept them out of the ACCCG? Then I’d be fine with clemson getting in with 1 loss.....

I do agree with the 8-9 game schedules.
All P5 teams should play the same 8-9 conference games, nobody should be playing DII teams, and all conferences should have a champ game. This would create a lot of transparency.

Oct 11, 2018, 12:31 PM

But by the same measure most states require their top tier teams to play D2 teams from that state to basically help fund them [ex: Furman, The Citadel, SC State, U of South Carolina].

I don't agree with Alabama play Coastal Carolina or The Citadel though...esp. late in the year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2018, 2:27 PM

Not true. Link

Oct 11, 2018, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: 9 game conference schedule vs. conference championship game ]

I don't think that is accurate I've heard before that S.C. schools are required, but this is 2018. If Clemson tells the state that we play for CFP spots now and are not playing Furman anymore to bring down our sos, then there wouldn't be much of an argument.

on the flip side, I have no problem with paying these smaller schools. Needs to be a donation, or bring those teams in for the spring game instead. Should not be 1/12 games on our schedule though.

Oct 11, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: 9 game conference schedule vs. conference championship game ]

I see your point, but then again If we can't beat a 2 loss division champ why would we be considered a top 4 team? If a Wisconsin with two loses beats 0-31-0 by 3, would you be ok with o-31-0 getting in ? The championship games are important. I want to see our Tigers in the CFP as much as the next fan, but still we do have to be realistic.

The G5 and the old IAA teams, need to play the P5s to survive. No system is going to be perfect.

Oct 11, 2018, 2:28 PM

Why not just go back to the old bcs or ap system? Then they can crown the sec and big ten every year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 11, 2018, 2:56 PM

The issue is that the Big10 wants folks to think that its own teams are better than OOC games. I call it the "Maryland Dilemma": You are going to lose, so at least get paid. It makes since since the Big10 Champ/front-runner normally can run the tables in the Big10 but suffer an early loss to an OOC mid/upper level team. See O-31-0 State's recent issues with its first game. Go back 10 years and although a very high win %, particularly in the B10, their record against quality Power5 is must more..."Virginia Tech" level (good but not great). Take that Michigan & Wisc lsot to OOC teams and if TCU does not implode that OSU would be on that list. Imagine if Wisc did not have to play BYU, the B10 would be hyped. For them, not playing with only themselves is a "risk". I mean, why schedule Troy to beat you at home... it is not like they are a quality team (note scarcasm, Troy is good). Of course the B10 bottomdwellers would love to host an inflated B10 team than lose to a Duke, Troy, Akron, Temple, Kansas, Buffalo

However, SEC, ACC, Pac12, Big12 and even the Sunbelt schedule decent OOC games (or at least try to... yes, including the SEC). The SEC is likely fine with 9 SEC games because who cares, football is meant to be won. ACC, Pac12, and B12's competitors (those with at least a chance) at least *try* and get a good OOC record and/or have historic/traditional powers slated (like us and some SEC school)

Oct 11, 2018, 3:20 PM

FutureDoc, With all due respect, that is just patently false. You just cant be this bias against a conference. I'm not going to take the time to look it all up, but if you go look at the top B1G schools (OSU, PSU, MSU, UM, UW) and their OOC schedules over the last five or so years, you'll see that they don't play divII schools at all, and they are littered with games against Texas, Florida, VT, Pitt, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama......

B1G went 7-1 in bowls last year and mid-top tier I'd still put them against any conference out there this year. Certainly the ACC. I will say, through 6 weeks, the SEC looks the best overall this year. Just chill with the conference bashing and enjoy the Tigers play.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic