Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
8 Bowl Games Cancelled "so far" commentary!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

8 Bowl Games Cancelled "so far" commentary!

Dec 16, 2020, 11:09 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_NCAA_football_bowl_games#Cancelled_bowls

This is just terrible. But, I understand these things are put on by firms who want to use the game as a marketing tool. I get it.
To me - if possible why couldn't you have the game at the higher seeds stadium and call it X bowl game? Whatever it is?
Same protocol that has kept the players safe all year for these last few!

Bowl games has it's fans and it's opponents! I am a fan; because they don't just mean another football game. They also mean, "more practice"! If you do not make a bowl game you can't "practice football"! You can condition. You can do a bunch of other stuff - but football can't be simulated like that. You have to play the game. It's invaluable for coaches to see their team for the next season as those who are moving on ready to play their last game. I don't buy the "opt out from players either" because guess what? Players get hurt by non-contact injuries all the time! So, as you are training in the weight room(torn bicep, peck,etc) or as you run(hamstring, ankle, etc.) can happen. In basketball and boxing there are certain things you can do on your own to get ready to play the game. Football really isn't that way! You need to play it more to be better at it.

The average kid who plays H.S. football has played at the very best 60 games in his life! And that's going 15 - 0 and undefeated all four years! So, a conservative number assumming a kids team made the playoffs is 48(giving him two playoff wins per year). Then that kid gets to college - most don't see the field their freshman season! Some do(we aren't talking about the exceptions though). During the next 3 years assuming they stay at the most they will play 45 games!

Less than 100 football games for most kids! Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball are all sports where you can virtually play all year round. If not play it, you can practice some aspect of the game. That is not so in football. So, bowl games have their value in that! In normal years they are also a good spring board into the next seasons team and something to get the alumni and boosters excited about. As well as a nice location to play at during that final game(hopefully). Plus, bragging rights, exposure for the school and football program(recruiting), a chance to end the season ranked higher in the final polls, etc.
Are there too many? Probably, yes! But, I wish they found a way to have these games personally! The football fan in me loves the Tigers! But, I love anything football! The spread team vs. the option team. Who wins? The super defense vs. the high powered offense - who wins? The stud WR vs. the stud DB who wins that individual match up.
Darn shame if these cancellations keep happening i.m.o Agree? Disagree? If so, why? No wrong answers and no judgement from me at all. I understand the argument against. I just feel the good outweighs the bad.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 8 Bowl Games Cancelled "so far" commentary!

Dec 17, 2020, 12:34 AM

There will be more I'm afraid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 12:51 AM

I think there should be less bowl games anyways. Our society as a whole wants to give a trophy to everyone now a days and that shouldn’t be the case. You should work your tail off. If you don’t make it that’s okay. Get back to work and try even harder. If we give everyone a prize then we’re rewarding mediocrity. Have you seen some of the rings these kids get for bowl wins. Check out the Kentucky Belk bowl ring. As of right now 11 bowl games are canceled for this year. I’d say there should only be at most 20. Eventually the competition gets so watered down its ??.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 1:06 AM

Most of them aren’t worth watching.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 9:10 AM

true and will never be missed

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2020, 7:39 AM

Lets be honest there are way too many bowl games.Last year there were a total of 41 bowl games. That means teams ranked from # 30 thur #82 get to play in a bowl game.I know I am old school but this is ridiculous.If you are not ranked in the top 25 thur 30(give or take because of small schools and conferences) you don't deserve to play in a bowl game.I am sorry but I prefer the old days when making it to a bowl game meant something.But of coarse today its all about money and everybody wins an award and/or gets a participation trophy.There should be !5 to 20 bowl games max.Just my opinion.

How many of you remember when we only had

Dec 17, 2020, 7:47 AM

The Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Orange bowls? People today would absolutely go crazy if that is all we had now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

According to this article, there are still 26 bowl games on

Dec 17, 2020, 7:53 AM

the docket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Dec 17, 2020, 7:54 AM

I see your point. Personally, I say the more the better. It's the shortest sports season we have. Only sport you get max a game a week.

I'd love to see an extended season like this year every year. Give teams 2- 3 off weeks but play more games. If bowls went to the end of January, the better.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowl games should be in part a reward

Dec 17, 2020, 7:56 AM

"To me - if possible why couldn't you have the game at the higher seeds stadium and call it X bowl game?"

This doesn't sound like much of a reward for games played by higher seeds in crappy climates. Also, if kids are going to spend more time away from their families during the holidays, it should be at a nicer destination...Bahamas Bowl in a normal ain't prestigious but is Bahamas...having your bowl game in Cincinnati, OH in December doesn't seem all that enticing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowl games should be in part a reward

Dec 17, 2020, 8:50 AM

Rose bowl was oldest,started in 1902then annually since 1916.Then in 1935 Orange,Sugar,and Sun bowls.The New Years Six was Rose,Orange,Sugar,Cotton,Peach,and Fiesta.The Sun Bowl was played on New Years Eve.

Dec 17, 2020, 10:30 AM

Most of these teams have been in a bubble of sorts since the summer. Bowl games are usually viewed as a reward. With little to truly play for, most of the players on these teams think a better reward is the opportunity to spend time with their families at the holidays.
Yes, usually the players typically miss Christmas and/or New Years for Bowl games. But at least in those seasons, the players could go home or at least see family/friends during the season unlike this season.

It’s one thing to keep this season going when a team has something to play for. Why does a .500 or lower team or even a middling team want to continue sacrificing?

Dec 17, 2020, 11:21 AM

Are u the running back Lester Brown from Myrtle Beach S.C.?Loved watching u play when I was in school at Clemson.Great junior year then cracked your ribs as a senior,tough luck then drafted by Dallas trying to convert you to DB, then to the CFL if I am not mistaken.

I get it.

Dec 17, 2020, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Bowl Games Cancelled "so far" commentary! ]

I understand the argument against 100% and I wouldn't put up a fight to stop it from happening. I am just saying, coaches/players/fans/staff make a decision on if they want to sacrifice to be a part of "the program" no matter if the team is undefeated and playing for a National Title/Conference Title or not. Those individuals make a conscious choice to "be there" w/o a weapon to their heads. If they don't want to do it and would prefer to be home - by all means go home and we will see you at workouts in late January! No problem! The rest of you - come with me - let's go play. It's never been mandatory and no one has ever forced anyone to participate during the holidays. Treat it like an injury and move on.

As far as playing in undesirable locations - Birmingham, AL was a pretty miserable place in late December, Shreveport, LA too. Nashville, TN. All the games aren't in Cali or Florida - so there have always been bad locations! If a higher seed so happens to be in Cincinnati, OH then - "enjoy that"! It's just like the FCS and going to North Dakota State in December! It's cold and miserable. Or some of the other locations. Fans will follow their team.

I have said a time or two there are too many bowls myself. The bowl games where two 6-6 teams play are sometimes highly entertaining! But, we could do without based on keeping the prestige of making it to a bowl game alive. Got it. Again, if you are a fan though of the sport in general, you look for the game within the game in some of these match ups. It's not rewarding mediocrity in my mind so much as it is A. providing fan bases something to get excited about for their team. B. another opportunity for a fan base to see their team play. C. some marketing company or some town council a way to bring in tourist dollars and to highlight their city/town which ultimately hopefully makes them more money. D. and most important - it extends the time a coach can get with his football team and staff. The teaching of the game. The building of a cohesion from the experience. Anyone who can't make it - again go home - we understand. But, that literal team building and practice time leading up to the bowl is invaluable to a team trying to climb the mountain. As Clemson fans we are somewhat spoiled - because we just reload. Other programs needing to get better need the exposure. They need the TV time to possibly attract a recruit they normally wouldn't get. etc. One step at a time. One day at a time. If you are not on the peak of that mountain already! Clemson clawed it's way up and did it the hard way too! One of my favorite Clemson games to this day was the Russell Athletic Bowl against Oklahoma! Meaningless on the National scale - but that team grew up a lot and it propelled the program forward for the following season!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic