Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago - Vietnam- Night Movement Danger
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 1,342

50 years ago - Vietnam- Night Movement Danger

Aug 26, 2020, 2:46 PM

NOT what you think - someone asked me earlier about the use of toilet paper in the field. That reminded me of a particular incident from the Summer of 1970. We would always dig shallow holes with our entrenching tools (army shovels), do our business, and cover the evidence just like your ordinary housecat. This could be anywhere the urge occurred if we weren't on a firebase but was always outside the circular perimeter if we were in a set position during the daytime and possibly within the perimeter during darkness if we couldn't wait until morning. When in a night position we normally had 3 or 4 assigned guards at points around the perimeter and took turns on guard duty with each guy watching and listening for around an hour before switching with the next guy on our schedule. One night, I had just completed my watch and, before I could even think about getting to sleep, saw our platoon's medic walk past me with his shovel and disappear into total darkness outside our perimeter - no weapon and no announcement to anyone on guard. I immediately realized that he had to worry not only about VC lurking in the darkness, but the guards were not in position to see him leave, and might hear him out there digging a hole or hear or see him on his way back and open fire. I flew over to the closest guard first to let him know and then ran over to the next guy who could have been in a position to react to movements where they shouldn't have been. Don't know what the medic was thinking but the moral of this story is that it is better to be full of #### than to be full of shot.

Message was edited by: clover65®

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 1,342
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic