Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
50 years ago -Vietnam - Sniper
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

50 years ago -Vietnam - Sniper

Oct 15, 2020, 2:40 PM

We didn't normally have a sniper with our unit but on one occasion they sent one to us. He used an old M-14 fitted with a scope that was more like the one I have on my deer rifle than like what they have today. This guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it either. Once we saw a group of VC coming up a ridge across a saddle from us and he told us to wait for him to take the first shot. He missed at 150 yards or less and the enemy dropped out of sight by jumping downhill below the crest of the ridge so they all got away. Another time I saw him shooting across a river which was at least 400 yards wide counting the sandbars along each side. He was aiming at "innocent" civilians moving along a trail above the river including old women (grandmamasans) . Like I said - he couldn't hit anything but he scared the people enough that they started running, and one of them tripped and fell just as I realized what he was doing. Even though he got up and continued running, the sniper wanted me to confirm his "kill". I told him he was crazy and to stop shooting. We got rid of the guy on the next supply chopper.

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Sniper

Oct 15, 2020, 5:31 PM

Shame they didn't send Carlos Hathcock "White Feather", he hardly ever missed and only took out the bad guys!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2020, 6:20 PM

Yes ..... Carlos was a great Marine and the definition of a sniper. The NVA sent an entire platoon with their own snipers to get Carlos (white feather) but he methodically wiped all of them out.

Oct 15, 2020, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Sniper ]

Chances are that Carlos had a few of these shooting medals ....... all part of my Marine Corps shooting badge collection. You can't buy these at the PX! :)

Pretty impressive collection

Oct 15, 2020, 7:02 PM

I know he won the Wimbledon Cup (the big one). Won quite a few others at Camp Perry. You’re definitely right that a few are in your collection. Semper Fi.

Y'all have my utmost respect.***

Oct 15, 2020, 7:32 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 15, 2020, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: 50 years ago -Vietnam - Sniper ]

Man thats a crazy cool collection

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2020, 12:16 AM

Marines are allowed to wear three shooting metals and in twenty years in the Marines I only saw one Marine that wore three. His name was Captain Wally York and when I met Wally at Camp Lejeune he had been in over 30 years and had been every rank in the Marine Corps up to Captain ...... all the enlisted ranks and all four CWO ranks. He was way beyond retirement age and rank, but they kept him around to work with the Marine Corps shooting teams. I think Wally was from Columbia.

Oct 15, 2020, 5:58 PM

The Mr. Magoo of snipers.

Sounds like he is related to the mortar

Oct 15, 2020, 6:44 PM

Platoon that we had on call. Danger close for this 120s was like 2 klicks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds like he is related to the mortar

Oct 15, 2020, 6:52 PM

LOL ..... I guess he need a spotter to bracket his shots ..... "left 20 .... drop 5"!

Re: Sounds like he is related to the mortar

Oct 15, 2020, 7:08 PM

As we used to say; “It’s not the dope on the rifle, it’s the dope behind the rifle!” ??

I Truly Don't Think They Had a Plot Board or Aim Stakes

Oct 15, 2020, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Sounds like he is related to the mortar ]

or a Compass or the ability to count charges

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clover, a few years ago I was at the range and a guy was

Oct 15, 2020, 7:03 PM

trying to zero his .270 at 100 yards. I mean, usually 5 rounds maybe and you have it done, counting bore sighting the first one. Well, another gentleman zeroed it for him..and then he fired several rounds without getting in the black...from a rest! Well sir, his wife stepped up and shot about an inch and a half group........What did your guy look like exactl?

Re: Clover, a few years ago I was at the range and a guy was

Oct 15, 2020, 7:21 PM

As an 0431/0491 I had two tours assigned as ships company to “amphibious” ships. They used to ask me to assist with refresher training such as close order drill. One thing they asked was to assist with marksmanship training while we were at sea. They were firing at B Modified targets (upright human torso silhouette) from 25 yds with M16A2s. More than a few were hitting the flight deck! Just couldn’t get some to grasp sight alignment, sight picture. The few times we were able to go for a swim, I was more worried about the “designated marksmen” than sharks. To be fair, most of the gunners mates were good. Especially with ships guns and crew served.

Message was edited by: TigerJS®

I used to be a good shot before I got progressive lenses...

Oct 15, 2020, 7:44 PM

but I tell you what, even with bad eyes, if you can't wear a target out at 50 yards with a red dot...then you just need to reload the weapon for your wife....One of your buddies, an airborne colonel took me to shoot an AR the first time a couple of weeks ago. Those things are deadly.

I recently put a thermal scope

Oct 15, 2020, 9:02 PM

on mine but haven’t taken it into the woods after hogs yet / might carry it soon in an afternoon just to see what comes along - got the tract approved for night hunting so I can stay late - did kill 2 pigs opening day of archery season with my crossbow

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic