Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey KMS! Let's talk commission!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 709

Hey KMS! Let's talk commission!

Mar 4, 2021, 12:58 PM

cause I'm about done with this bull ####

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: Hey KMS! Let's talk commission!

Mar 4, 2021, 1:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sure do short circuit pretty easily after

Mar 4, 2021, 1:03 PM

having to vacuum the trailer out for the first time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

That was a shampoo. I'm sure your lush hair knows about it***

Mar 4, 2021, 1:06 PM

Buddy

Mar 4, 2021, 1:18 PM

If you think what you were doing yesterday was shampooing a carpet, I have some news for you

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Vacuum/ leaf blower. Same difference.***

Mar 4, 2021, 1:07 PM [ in reply to You sure do short circuit pretty easily after ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know where you live but we have bidding wars for

Mar 4, 2021, 1:03 PM

most of our properties.

I'm not a realtor, thank God. I just count the commissions as they roll in and handle all business/taxation side of things.

6-5% is standard

My SIL is a realtor. She's also an idiot

Mar 4, 2021, 1:05 PM

but I've heard from others "in the business" that depending on the market supply is so short realtors are taking 3% commission just to have houses to sell.

I mean that is not what I'm seeing in this market, but the

Mar 4, 2021, 1:10 PM

average sales price at this office is $4.5 Million sooo I don't work in the "real world"

a 3% commission is split between the listing and the selling agent, so 3% sounds great but it's a little more of the FSBO situation where you aren't encouraging agents to show your property.

Some agents may be willing to cut their commission if the represent you on both sides, if you are using them to both sell your property and find a new one (sounds like thats out for you).

If you want it done right, don't be cheap and go below 5. A decent agent will painlessly sell you above what you could get yourself.

Of course if you truly live in a trailer don't listen to anything I just said.

Agree 100%....you don't want an agent willing to cut...

Mar 4, 2021, 1:11 PM

commission because they have nothing else to sell.

You want the best realtor that is doing the most business.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah I'm getting the feeling I'm wasting time here.

Mar 4, 2021, 1:11 PM [ in reply to I mean that is not what I'm seeing in this market, but the ]

had that conversation with the wife last night.

Well they'll TAKE 5-7% OUT of the profit of the house.

Well you can't have a profit if you don't sell the house.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

If someone is on their own looking at houses that are

Mar 4, 2021, 1:16 PM

FSBO you are dealing with people who a) are looking at creative/non traditional financing office b) too stupid to know that getting an agent helps them c) looking for a deal, assuming that the reason that you are doing a FSBO is because you are upside down or too cheap to spring for an agent

A real estate agent is able to pre qualify buyers, so only brings people willing and able to buy to the negotiating table.

If they are getting you an extra 5% on the sales price it sorta pays for itself...

But you teach econ so I don't need to 'splain that to you.. right?

I agree with you. But when FIL says "ah you don't need one"

Mar 4, 2021, 1:20 PM

and wife is adamant that we don't need one, sometimes you have to show them that they are wrong.

Luckily we do have a few people coming to look at the house.

Most promising one is the people who were going to look at the house we are about to buy before we swooped in and took it off the market.

I'm guessing if they can afford that house which is priced 12% higher than ours, it shouldn't be a problem.

Well you've probably already lowered the eventual sales

Mar 4, 2021, 1:26 PM

price of your house by listing it yourself... even if you eventually get a real estate agent involved.

5-7% of the profit on the house?

Mar 4, 2021, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Yeah I'm getting the feeling I'm wasting time here. ]

Buddy I think you just need to stay put. Not sounding like you are fit to engage in a real estate transaction.

Ain't no arrangement tied to profit.

I assumed that what he meant was profit = sales price of the

Mar 4, 2021, 1:18 PM

house.

Might have been a giant assumption on my part

You're right. Mistyped.

Mar 4, 2021, 1:21 PM [ in reply to 5-7% of the profit on the house? ]

Commission would come out of profit. Not be tied to it.

For what it's worth, KMS advice is solid.

Mar 4, 2021, 1:26 PM

Just hire a realtor, find a good one, and pay them.

If you want to have a go at it with no realtor, I'd be real honest with myself when asking these questions:
*Do I really understand what I'm doing?
*Do I have any experience, like at all?
*Is time a constraint or an asset? Meaning....can I wait things out to sell? Do I have as much time as needed to move, etc.
*Are there any financial concerns tied to time? Do I have to sell before I buy? Will I have to potentially have a place to live in between transactions if things don't work out exactly right?
*Do I know what I'm doing when getting the place ready to sell in terms of making it show as well as it can?
*Can I show my own home? Like, how do you show the house when you are in PE class?
*Can I live without feedback? 10 people look, none buy. They won't be honest with you as to why, but they will to a realtor.

this^^^^^^^and there are so many

Mar 4, 2021, 2:56 PM

legal issues that can arise. I want no part of a legal battle without adequate representation. We almost got into one with this house and man o man, it gets real, really quickly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still not right...

Mar 4, 2021, 2:18 PM [ in reply to You're right. Mistyped. ]

splitting hairs here, but the commission is based on the total selling price of the house.

So if commission is 5% and house sells for $100k, the proceeds from the sale are $95k...then you pay off existing mortgage and what's left is your "profit". But the 5% comes off the top.

Curious question about the current market - which is harder

Mar 4, 2021, 2:38 PM [ in reply to I mean that is not what I'm seeing in this market, but the ]

to move? A $5 million dollar house or a house with pallet deck and mashed in septic tank. Obviously, at different ends of the housing market spectrum and buyers, but which is it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like the pallet deck house.

Mar 4, 2021, 2:45 PM

If we had any $5 million dollar houses listed right now it would be gone in a day with multiple offers and a back up contract. We have no house or condo listings left, we sold them all... and in a normal year we'd have 60+ listings.

Without giving actual facts and figures... we've sold all of our listings (from $12 M on down).

Re: Curious question about the current market - which is harder

Mar 4, 2021, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Curious question about the current market - which is harder ]

High end market in the south is bananas. So many yankees trying to get to the coast in SC, GA, etc right now its not even funny.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Anyone with any sense in CT, NY, PA, Chicago etc.

Mar 4, 2021, 2:58 PM

is moving here.

I can’t even count how many NY, NJ and CT tags I see daily***

Mar 4, 2021, 3:39 PM

3% overall or 3% each, which would put it at 6%?***

Mar 4, 2021, 1:58 PM [ in reply to My SIL is a realtor. She's also an idiot ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who needs a realtor when you have

Mar 4, 2021, 1:05 PM

zillow and the rest?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!

Mar 4, 2021, 1:08 PM

I've stopped being polite in emails and messages though.

"Will you owner finance and if so how much do you want down?"

-100%

"I'm sorry, I know it says FOR SALE ONLY but would you rent?"

-I'm sorry that you are illiterate

Look, I got my real-estate license a few years back

Mar 4, 2021, 1:06 PM

for ##### and gigs. I'd even do it for four-fifths commish... because you know what really gets my #### hard? Helping out my friends.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why don’t you call this guy and just get it over with already?

Mar 4, 2021, 1:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

I'd be willing to buy your house for cash.

Mar 4, 2021, 1:28 PM

$100.00 C A S H.

And I mean a crisp new President Benjamin Franklin bill, not a bunch of singles or change. I'll even throw in a truckload of pallets AND 9 or 10 of those sweet plastic kitty litter buckets to sweeten the deal. The kitty litter buckets have all been washed out, too. And if that doesn't do it, I *MIGHT* be willing to throw in your choice of an autographed picture of Coach Tommy Bowden or a tin of Dollar General brand breath mints once owned but never opened by Coach Oliver Purnell.

DO WE HAVE A DEAL?

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Step 1: Is it listed on MLS?***

Mar 4, 2021, 2:45 PM

Wrong kind of football***

Mar 4, 2021, 2:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Replies: 32
| visibility 709
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic