Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2RB Packages
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

2RB Packages

May 25, 2020, 4:06 PM

So, with all the awesome talent we have in the backfield for the foreseeable future...

Do yall think we use shotgun 2RB packages more often?

Honestly surprised we haven't done this more often ??

Anyone wanna give the pros and cons of the setup for us amateur armchair QBs ? ??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2RB Packages

May 25, 2020, 6:28 PM

I agree. We need to use it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2020, 7:50 PM

Yep, ETN gives the option to stay in the backfield as a second runner or blocker, or he can come out of the backfield and lineup as a reciever, all depending on what the defense shows. If we can get some TE involvement and if a young WR can stepup to fill Higgins' shoes, the offense will be unstoppable.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2020, 8:33 PM

I’m theory this is good but who do you take off the field. Our offense is best when we have a good slot WR to stretch the field horizontally and a good TE to attack the middle of the field.

With 2 RBs that’s 8 on the field. Who would you propose the remaining pieces be? Not saying 2 RBs isn’t a good idea, just curious how would fill the remaining positions and who is out.

May 25, 2020, 9:28 PM

If the 2RB set forces the opponent into a run stop defense, could be interesting if ETN gets matched up on an LB on a pass route.

May 25, 2020, 9:34 PM

Only problem I see depending on defense you could double a RB with a LB and S. Personally I’d rather see us go back to real 9, 5, and 2 and not pretend a 6’4” guy can play 5 or 2. Problem is I’m not sure who that is but I think Spector and Amari could fill 2 and 5. Add in Galloway and that would stress defenses much more than ETN and Dixon. Although in certain packages depending on how quick Bowman picks it up the speed of him and ETN would be crazy I admit!

Tigers do not use TE's in the middle of the field

May 26, 2020, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: 2RB Packages ]

I AGREE that they ought to do it 5 or 6 times a game, but just not a playbook priority for years.

May 25, 2020, 9:37 PM

A good coordinator will get our best skill players in the field. If Bowman comes in and looks amazing then its incumbent on the OC to get him on the field, especially if our WRs don't distinguish themselves. The key will be to see who those best players are this summer and into fall.

Line 'em up!

May 25, 2020, 9:42 PM

Now!!!

May 26, 2020, 1:00 PM

With 2 RBs, you would replace either the TE, the slot receiver or a WR. The choice to me would be to replace either the slot receiver or the TE. But, you wouldn't have to replace either for the entire game..... the sets could vary according to what you wanted to do.

First look at eliminating the TE on some sets: In our spread offense, the TE is sometimes used to lead block up the gut and the 2nd RB could certainly do that. At times, the TE blocks on the corner and the 2nd RB could also do that. At times the TE runs the seam route or across the middle - and the 2nd RB can do the same, although at a slightly delayed rate of yardage coverage. A slot receiver can do most of that as well and be available for reverses and middle zone or seam routes, but if he's assigned to the heavy work, he needs to be a bigger slot receiver than what we normally have. This combination should provide a good running game with a lot of misdirection and counter plays.

If you eliminate the slot receiver: The TE can be flexed out near the normal slot position much like we used to use Jordan Leggett. He would still be available for pass routes, but could also double back for blocking on the edge, into the middle or used for reverses (blocking or ball carrier). This combination should provide for a good option sweep game.

So, to me, you really don't give up too much either way you go if you have the horses. It all depends on what talent you have and how you can use it to get the best match-ups against the competition. I'd like to see us have the talent to move seamlessly from a single-back set to a 2-back set to a 3-TE set with the same personnel - almost impossible, unless we have some real horses. The way some of today's kids are developing, someday it may become a reality.

There are a lot of things that can be done to juice our offense to confuse opponents. One I haven't seen us do is to set an unbalanced line and put 2 OTs one the strong side. With 2-RBs and pulling the backside OG, we could get a lot of power running on the edge..... same with 3-TEs.

I don't want to completely lose what we've done well, but I do think it's time to add a few new wrinkles to keep other teams guessing.

Nah

May 26, 2020, 2:22 PM

Sorry, but with Trevor on the field, 2 RB sets just don't make much sense except for rare occasions.

2 RBs aren't needed to make defenses fully commit to stopping the run. ETN's presence in the backfield alone does that. He's the best decoy in CFB.

In today's game, 2 RB sets only make sense in certain short-yardage situations, if a team's passing game is weak or to catch a poorly coached defense off guard.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Nah

May 26, 2020, 4:46 PM

What about when are up 48-0 in the 2nd quarter?

Re: Nah

May 27, 2020, 12:44 AM

My bad. I forgot about the USCe game.

So you're saying use 2 RBs and take Trevor off the field?

May 26, 2020, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Nah ]

Genius!

null

May 26, 2020, 10:07 PM

I just hope we figure this out before the season starts. Dabo needs this info.

JK - being an armchair QB is awesome. The coaches should actually read some of our ideas on here.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic