Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
247 talking out of both sides of its mouth
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

247 talking out of both sides of its mouth

Jan 30, 2020, 5:03 PM

Yesterday Anna Hickey gave an explanation of why they had their top 3, Bryce Young, DJU, and Bryan Bresee, ranked in that order. The explanation for the QB's being 1 and 2 was that QB's tend to go at the top of the draft. True but the higher recruitment ranking defensive linemen tend to go higher than the high recruitment ranked QB's. The QB position is much more of a hit and miss evaluation than the D-line.

Projecting Burrow to be the #1 pick this year gives Mayfield, Murray, and Burrow as the last three #1 overall picks. They are a walk-on, baseball player, and back up with all of them being transfers. Should they use the reasoning of QB's going first overall when it is not the highly recruited QB's going at the top?

She then went on to say that they put Young ahead of DJ because the trend is towards, smaller more mobile QB's. That really is not the case overall. Mobility has increased in importance and size does not hold the value that it once did. However, Young is a similar size to Murray, and Murray is very much an outlier. Burrow, Mayfield, Watson, and Jackson are mobile and not big by former standards, but all are 3 to 4 inches taller than Murray. The NFL still considers size to be important even if they are willing to gamble on smaller QB's. Daniel Jones was the #6 overall pick and that has little explanation other than being a prototypically sized QB.

If you are going to go with which QB projects to be a higher draft pick, that is unquestionably DJ. It really is of little consequence, but 247 should either give legitimate reasoning, or just say Bryce Young is an SEC recruit. Because, easily, the most likely draft order of those 3 is going to be Bresee, DJ, and then Young.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 247 talking out of both sides of its mouth

Jan 30, 2020, 5:23 PM

Does it matter???? 247 is THE authority????

Jan 30, 2020, 5:43 PM

Does it matter? Not much, but I would argue that it is not completely irrelevant. There are computer rankings that use recruiting in their early season football rankings which skews SOS and even final rankings to an extent. When the 7 largest upward movers in the final 247 composite rankings are all SEC commits it appears a little suspect. For the most part it is inconsequential, but with NSD coming up recruiting as a whole is a big topic of conversation.

Jan 30, 2020, 6:00 PM

247 talking out of it's...'mouth?..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2020, 8:30 PM

247 is talking out of both sides of their but cheeks.

They have no idea how some kid in HS who has never played 1 sec. In a college game is going to be drafted by an NFL team. Even the NFL teams have no idea. It's BS.

I thought the rankings were supposed to be based on current performance in HS games vs. peers at same position. How many coaches base their recruiting of HS players on how some kid in HS is going to be recruited by a NFL team.

247 is SEC biased.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2020, 10:36 PM

Whining about who is #1 between the top 3 players is just about as petty as can be. This is the kind of stuff that gives all Clemson fans a bad name.

Double that when 2 of those top 3 are Clemson players!

Can we stop turning what should be a total celebration about the 2020 class into a whine fest?

I'll be very happy getting 2 of their top 3 EVERY year.

Jan 31, 2020, 7:05 AM

Always easy to tell when 247 folks are lying--their lips are moving.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which # 1 would you rather be

Jan 31, 2020, 8:59 AM

recruiting
or
natty

Re: Which # 1 would you rather be

Jan 31, 2020, 9:32 AM

Naturally, I would rather have the Natty. In the original post I was referring to individual rankings and the reason that was given for ranking the first 3 in that order. None of it changes how they will perform, and we have one of the best recruiting classes in history regardless of which hairs you split (I split). I just think that it takes flawed reasoning to cite the NFL draft and come up with the order 247 did.

Jan 31, 2020, 10:05 AM

I think the recruiting services should return to the original way of measuring the players which I believe was "which guy is the most ready to contribute in college on day one?"

5 stars are either ready now or won't take much, 4 stars are almost guaranteed started after a year or two, and 3 stars and down show promise that needs to be developed.

To me, the most "day 1 ready" is without a doubt Bresee as DE/DT is one of the positions that easiest to play with physical measurables alone. RB is is up there as well in terms of how quickly a kid can contribute.

Almost all of the other positions on the field require a great deal of knowledge and understanding of the specific system being run at their college, at least much more than DL or RB.

If 247 or Rivals wants to tell everybody who they think will be chosen first in the draft, then they should start a draft projection rankings page. It would give them a completely separate set of rankings for people to click on and argue about which is what drives their money.

It would also let them rank players for what the colleges are taking them for which is "how much will they help the team they are signing with".

I think projecting an 18 y/o kid's NFL prospects is too determinant on so many factors that won't come into view until they have seen a college campus and playing field.

If they are being honest and not simply making excuses for prospect movement, then they are drifting away from their main purpose.

Of Course

Jan 31, 2020, 1:00 PM

247 is concerned about losing the Alabama/SEC customers.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic