Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2020 RECRUITS -- What and who jumps out to you folks?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

2020 RECRUITS -- What and who jumps out to you folks?

Feb 5, 2020, 8:59 PM

For me, it's that Murphy, Breesee, Fred Davis, Simpson, Tre William and Mickens all have a chance to get in the defensive rotation early and be big contributors by 11/07 Notre Dame road game, ACC championship and playoffs. Defense is the big recruiting story to me this year (even with DJ, Bowman and Tchio). And we need some O-linemen to step up by mid-season.

Does anyone like OL Paul Tchio & Bryn Tucker to push for p.t. in 2020? Any hometown insights on potential sleepers? TIA for feedback ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2020 RECRUITS -- What and who jumps out to you folks?

Feb 5, 2020, 9:56 PM

Well, I'll agree with your assessments. Will be interesting to follow the stories on who is excelling and watch the progress of the oline.

I'm more interested to see what we're going to do with the offense and especially the TE's,

Will they feature more over the middle and try to capture the LSU magic. We'll be more balanced but lsu really got away from the run... Especially against good comp..

One more thought. Our 18 class was killer with only 14 signeed but we had a few busts that really weakened the class. I was shocked at the low snap count by Mario. I expected more from him. Thought he'd come in as immediate impact. There's more that I thought would too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 10:01 PM

All of them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 11:07 PM

Defense

Bresee and Murphy are special players who will shake up the D-line and take it to another level. Murphy is a speed guy; Bresee is about brute force and technique. Both guys will get significant playing time from the very beginning; one or both guys will end up starting during the season. Some of the things said about Capehart are exciting but let's see.

Trenton Simpson at LB is very athletically gifted. He pulverizes when he hits. Besides Bresee and Murphy, Simpson is the 3rd reason our pass rush will improve dramatically. Kevin Swint appears to hit even harder than Simpson but we'll see if he's good enough to contribute much as a freshman.

Offense

Obviously DJ is the 500-lb elephant in the room. We won't get to see him much though.

I'm very disappointed Demarkcus Bowman couldn't enroll early but his speed is breathtaking and will blow everyone's mind. Hopefully he can force himself into the equation during the season at some point. With ETN returning, we may not see much of him.

On the O-line, Walker Parks is incredibly underrated IMO and I expect him and Paul Tchio to become key pieces as freshman.

I don't see any other true freshman making an impact in 2020 but it's all settled on the field, not by the keyboard.

Feb 6, 2020, 5:28 AM

If Murphy is a speed rusher w/ his size he could get enough PT to have a real impact & put up decent #s. Saw his impressive 40 time, but no 10-yard split-

Feb 5, 2020, 11:40 PM

I think Davis is a stud , and could play early . His backfield teammate Mr. Mickens needs to add a little size at safety but he's another guy with great potential .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 6, 2020, 5:15 AM

Are you not real high on Parks or is it his weight & you think he will need to RS? He's the highest rated OL in this class & a true tackle; one of only 2 or 3 on the roster, depending on how you regard J. Mcfadden-

The OL who came in January will have a big advantage.

Feb 6, 2020, 10:32 AM

Parks will have catching up to do.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 10:43 AM

What jumps out to me are the absolute stars who will not get much PT this year. The talent on the roster combined with experience makes it hard for me to pick Freshman to start, but how can you bench this type of talent. Most years top teams rely on Freshman to provide a jump from the previous season. All of the 5* positions QB, RB, & DL are already loaded with upperclassmen returning. I hope 1 or 2 can show up and take us to the next level. More likely we have more 5* players (Ngata, Ladson, Booth, Henry) waiting for their opportunity.

null

Feb 6, 2020, 10:49 AM

I'm very interested to see who can crack the 2-deep in their true freshman season.

In your order:

Murphy will be interesting to see if/when he gets moved to 2nd team. Foster will play one end spot with XT, Henry, and Mascoll as the other returners who should factor in. If he gets the technique I expect 2nd team by August and starting as a sophomore.

Bresee is expected to start at DT next to Tyler Davis in what is thought to be a return to the 4 man front. His versatility is most intriguing to see if Venables lets him move around much as a freshman or if he lets him master one spot.

Davis will have to really impress to see the 2-deep this season, or some veterans will have to really underwhelm. Kendrick will hold one spot with Booth, Goodrich, Jones and a couple others trying to start on the other side. Davis will have to beat out some guys the coaches have been pleased with in the past to get some second team reps.

Simpson is thought to be headed toward the vacant spot left by Isaiah Simmons. Venables doesn't always see it the way we see it and he typically values knowing your assignments over all else. Simpson's brain will determine his PT in a fairly large group of unproven LBs.

Tre Williams seems like the 3rd DT in the class which is very impressive. Pinckney's health and the development of Jordan Williams and a couple others will determine Williams' ability to get on the field.

You left off Capeheart which has a similar situation to Williams'. It will be interesting to see which of those two leads the other.

Mickens, like Davis, is a talented player who is coming in to compete with a lot of young guys who the coaches have spoken kindly about in the past. It will be very interesting to see how the youth shakes out to determine who plays next to Turner and who falls in as the 2nd guys on the chart.

We likely need 3 true freshman o linemen to provide depth and play meaningful snaps this season. I'm not sure which 3 that will be because so much goes into making the jump to college o line play.

Bowman loses 5 months of learning the playbook and learning to block. Can his raw talent take over enough to make up for that in the eyes of Tony Elliott. That doesn't usually happen, but I'm not sure Elliott has had a back yet with the same tools Bowman possesses. He is a very different runner than ETN was as a freshman. Also look to see some movement from this position group after the spring. 1-2 guys could be moving on before August which would make it easier for Bowman to move up the depth chart. More practice reps means faster development.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic