Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2015 UNC was 11-1 ranked #10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

2015 UNC was 11-1 ranked #10

Dec 4, 2019, 7:09 PM

So, in 2015 U of Non-Compliance was 11-1 and ranked #10 in the country going into the ACCCG. We went into the game 12-0. Two ACC teams in the top 10 - not 30 years ago - but rather 4.

But, it gets better!

In 2016 the ACC won the Bowl Challenge Cup with a 9-3 record including a National Championship!

***All of you complaining about Clemson fans complaining don't get the fact - a bunch of the critiques about Clemson is unwarranted. Unfounded. Unfair.

Is the ACC on par with the SEC? Heck no. But, it's not the dumpster fire it is being portrayed to be. To me that's all I believe Coach Swinney was saying! The numbers support him in that regard as well. Last season when you didn't have top of one conference playing mid to bottom of another conference ( bowl season ) the ACC was 6-5. The SEC in comparison was 6-6.

Get some facts in your life people. Nobody wants constant Clemson sunshine pumping or ACC hype. But, don't create a false narrative and then get upset when you get called out on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Challenge_Cup

And.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_NCAA_football_bowl_games

Criticize the team when it's earned. But, lumping the team with the success or failure of an entire conference is just wrong! Especially when you willfully neglect to call out other schedules with teams proven just as bad!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoy your posts which leads me to this question?..

Dec 4, 2019, 7:27 PM

Did you used to write articles for a paper or something? Because, again, you(and quozzel) always have fantastic posts...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2015 UNC was 11-1 ranked #10

Dec 4, 2019, 7:48 PM

Spot on...I live on the West Coast and have had friends (people out here have no clue about college football so they just go off the media pundits) give me a hard time, as they simply parrot what the talking heads on ESPN say...and I've spouted out similar stats. Fact is, the ACC is having a down year, and that happens with every conference. I meant let's face it, the SEC wasn't very good last year...they went 6-6 in bowl games and Bama won every game by an avg of 30pts - only to get smashed by us by almost that many - so really how good is/was the SEC. It gets all the hype and while I agree it has historically been the best conference...it's also been quite exaggerated how much better they are.

Also good stat, and you'd have to look if up for exacts, but I know the number of players that each conference sends to the NFL...the SEC is first, AND, the ACC is second...lil tidbit they don't often mention but yet always point to all the NFL players SEC teams have.

Anyway, great post.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 9:03 PM

TahoeTiger said:

Spot on...I live on the West Coast and have had friends (people out here have no clue about college football so they just go off the media pundits) give me a hard time, as they simply parrot what the talking heads on ESPN say...and I've spouted out similar stats. Fact is, the ACC is having a down year, and that happens with every conference. I meant let's face it, the SEC wasn't very good last year...they went 6-6 in bowl games and Bama won every game by an avg of 30pts - only to get smashed by us by almost that many - so really how good is/was the SEC. It gets all the hype and while I agree it has historically been the best conference...it's also been quite exaggerated how much better they are.

Also good stat, and you'd have to look if up for exacts, but I know the number of players that each conference sends to the NFL...the SEC is first, AND, the ACC is second...lil tidbit they don't often mention but yet always point to all the NFL players SEC teams have.

Anyway, great post.

Plus 1.

Yes. I have quoted that one too! Too many people on here who believe what the man or woman on ESPN says 100% won't believe it about who is the 2nd most prolific conference for NFL talent.
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
Mitch Trubisky
Jacoby Brissett
Matt Ryan
Russell Wilson
Mike Glennon
Jameis Winston
Ryan Finley
Daniel Jones
Phillip Rivers

All have started games this season 3 are on the watch list for MVP. The talent is here the over-zealous fans are not! So the narrative has to be made out to be - teams with the most followers $$$$$ mean money $$$ $hall get more praise deserved or not!

These facts do not escape me.

Dec 4, 2019, 7:51 PM

I’ve said it many times and I will say it again the ACC was hands down the best football conference a couple of years ago but no one in the media gave credit where is was due. I do believe that the ACC is really bad this year but probably no worse than the PAC12 who never seems to get called out because they pose no threat to the SEC and their recruits. I certainly do not buy the false narrative that the AAC is better than the ACC. That statement being made by several in the media is absurd. The agenda is to diminish what the conference and in particular what Clemson has accomplished on the gridiron.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: These facts do not escape me.

Dec 4, 2019, 9:11 PM

I’ve said it many times and I will say it again the ACC was hands down the best football conference a couple of years ago but no one in the media gave credit where is was due. I do believe that the ACC is really bad this year but probably no worse than the PAC12 who never seems to get called out because they pose no threat to the SEC and their recruits. I certainly do not buy the false narrative that the AAC is better than the ACC. That statement being made by several in the media is absurd. The agenda is to diminish what the conference and in particular what Clemson has accomplished on the gridiron.

Great point. Great post! I have not thought about it like that: regarding the reason they don't beat up the PAC 12 as much. But, what you said makes sense. They are no threat to get enough players to ever challenge the blue bloods in the South and midwest(Ohio St). Not unless Southern Cal again starts being able to pick and choose between the very best players on the WEst Coast again! And, yeah, I have heard some of them say that about the AAC. Yeah, right! The AAC would get beaten in most years very easily! Pitt beat their most dominant team. GT beat South Florida when they couldn't beat anybody else. Stop it people. You are right, more of the piling on to make the case for a weak ACC.
The ACC is weak this year: no doubt! But, I remember a year or 3 ago Miami and Florida St were in the top 12 with us. Remember? Miami had played a suspect schedule but was undefeated. Florida St. was undefeated but hadn't played us yet. Turned out Miami wasn't the real deal and we went on to sink FSU - but it did happen.
Problem is - they don't respect Virginia! Or Duke or anybody else who don't have a lot of tradition in football. I think Duke would get their respect because of Cutcliff. He certainly gained it when he nearly took out Johnny Football in the Cic-fil-a bowl.

Oh well! I am just glad to know not everybody is gullible enough to just believe something because the person on the tv screen said so. Thank ya'll!

That seems odd that they were only #10 at 11-1

Dec 4, 2019, 9:15 PM

I don't remember any chatter about them getting into the playoff if they had beaten us even though they would have been 12-1 with a win over us.

This year the lowest ranked 1 loss power team at this stage is Baylor at 7.

Re: That seems odd that they were only #10 at 11-1

Dec 4, 2019, 9:22 PM

That year Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan State, Oklahoma and Houston all had 1 loss in that championship week! Stanford was #9 with 2 losses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings

Link: Bowl Match Up Conference Pairings

Dec 4, 2019, 10:00 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Coast_Conference#Bowl_games

Could be the ACC gets blown out as a whole. Or it could be it kicks arsenic and everyone ignores the fact afterwards as they have before!

Dec 5, 2019, 7:37 AM

TU

Dec 5, 2019, 7:48 AM

It isn't that the ACC is "bad" but rather we are suffering for not having a "challenger". In 2015, we had a 10-2 FSU and a 11-2 NC. In 2016 we had Louisville and 10-2 FSU and a 9-3 VaTech. In 2017, we had a 11-1 Miami.

If the ACC had at least one "challenger" then the comparison would be null. The problem is that the #2 team in the Atlantic got obliterated by Kentucky and the Coastal is doing their circle of dysfunction.

I think that the ACC could go 2-9 in our bowls this year... but our 2 wins will be the only ones that matter.

Dec 5, 2019, 8:03 AM

My 2 cents on the matter:

1) I think the ACC is at a disadvantage because its bowl season does not have the proper opportunity to be discussed in the media. What I mean is - all season long is about playoff this and Top 25 that. But once we get to bowl season, how many daily football shows are there? Very few. And once the season is over, there is no real discussion about CFB until the next season. And then its about what is going to happen the coming season.

2) I think the ACC is improved this year from what it was last year. I think the "Clemson don't play anybody" is a carry-over from last year. In this world of 100% hot takes 24/7, if you're not #1 you are straight up garbage! Thus ACC is not the BEST football conference - statistically and realistically we're not the worst either. We have several teams not bowl eligible last year that improved this year. Name brand programs that we need to improve - Louisville, UNC & FSU. Duke not being bowl eligible - no big deal. FSU not making a bowl is a HUGE deal. Plus when you consider NCST and WF were crippled with injuries....the ACC is not the dumpster fire that they say it is. And the apologist who go on TV post-Dabo rant to say "Dabo no one disrespects your team" didn't listen to the full spiel.

Anyhoo - what I keep telling the Coots and FleaDAWGS in my office is this: why do you say Clemson doesn't play anyone? Margin of victory? Then you're right...and Notre Dame & Bama were nobodies too! When you're as dominant as Clemson, EVERYBODY is a NOBODY.

Dec 5, 2019, 6:27 PM

Bump for Clemson2003.

"Selective Amnesia" is the term that comes to mind when it comes to anything successful any ACC team or teams accomplish.
Last I checked it's about trying to be the National Champion. 3 of the last 6 and played for it 4 of the last 6. Multiple "current" ACC teams have played for it instead of just the bell cow team( see Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12(2 teams).

Dec 5, 2019, 6:43 PM

ACC is 5-12 against ranked teams in bowls in the last 5 years (non-Clemson teams).

No one cares about our record when two 6-6 teams play each other. ACC has been horrible in the top 3 ACC bowl tie-ins in the last several years.

Dec 5, 2019, 8:20 PM

tigerrag86 said:

ACC is 5-12 against ranked teams in bowls in the last 5 years (non-Clemson teams).

No one cares about our record when two 6-6 teams play each other. ACC has been horrible in the top 3 ACC bowl tie-ins in the last several years.

Show me!

Great poast

Dec 5, 2019, 6:58 PM

Thanks!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The acc will be lucky to win 3 bowl games this year***

Dec 5, 2019, 7:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link

Dec 5, 2019, 8:19 PM

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNQOtCqgHi4bJ6NAQetnxVt2PY5EFA%3A1575594639975&ei=j6rpXf-MO8fUsAXl5YDoDA&q=2018+bowl+record+by+conference&oq=2018+bowl+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.4.0l10.2791.7008..11455...0.0..0.132.859.2j6......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i7i30j0i131j0i273.GC95m6dsM5c

http://no2minutewarning.com/conference-bowl-standings/2016-2017-conference-bowl-standings/

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/2018/01/09/2017-conference-bowl-records-only-these-two-were-better-than-the-big-12/

I would bet this year is more like 16 and last season!

Dec 5, 2019, 7:07 PM

Thread of the day!

Bout time!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tarholes lost to a crappy coot team to start the season...

Dec 5, 2019, 8:24 PM

So they shoulda been ranked #4 going into the ACCC Game, right?!?

That’s what I’m getting out of this poast.

~JKB

Wish I could TU this X 1000.***

Dec 5, 2019, 9:41 PM

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic