Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1981 national championship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

1981 national championship

Jan 11, 2019, 2:24 PM

I was sitting thinking about that championship and then the two that Clemson has won under Swinney. Do you guys think that if Clemson hadn't won the 81 championship here would have been able to accomplish what he has at Clemson? It's an interesting question to ponder imo

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1981 national championship

Jan 11, 2019, 2:29 PM

Its all part of the puzzle. If my Mom and Dad or your Mom and Dad had not done it when they did we wouldn't be discussing this! Didn't you see Back To The Future?

Jan 11, 2019, 2:30 PM

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.-Isaac Newton

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Jan 11, 2019, 2:31 PM

Probably not. That set an expectation knowing we could do it

Nope

Jan 11, 2019, 2:32 PM

everything changes, even the people who were born. See the movie Back to the Future. We'd have a pic of, say, the '16 team and their faces would be fading out slowly unless we could rescue the past and restore it.

NO

Jan 11, 2019, 3:13 PM

The 1981 championship did not have a lot if anything to do with the present success of the Clemson football program. Actually Frank Howard had more to do with it if you are talking about the past than anything. Frank had some great teams and well respected teams until the 800 ACC rule finally caught up with him. By that time he had created an interest in the football program unlike that of any other one in the ACC. Remember the ACC was created because Frank denied the rulers of the Southern Conference and accepted a bowl bid.

The passion for Clemson football was built by Frank Howard and his $10 a year idea. Fast forward many years and the leap of faith and hiring of Dabo Swinney. Remember Dabo's first rule was "All In". This was something new as when Danny Ford was fired there was a large portion of the Clemson fans that were no longer "All In". Ken Hatfield never had a chance as the fan base was completely divided and many worked against him. The division continued through the next two coaches and when Dabo was hired there were still cries of "Bring Danny Back" heard all around.

The team accepted Dabo's "All In" philosophy and the administration followed. Finally the administration decided that "All IN" included facilities which started with the indoor practice field. Now not only has the team and administration accepted that philosophy but the fans have also. Just to demonstrate when a recruit comes on an official visit to Clemson one thing they do is visit with the President of the University.

It is hard to say what part anything that happened in the past contributed to the present as it is all part of it. But to me the biggest thing was the leap of faith to allow Dabo to remove the interim title. There was a line of head coaches and Assistants wanting that job but Dabo talked them into choosing him. For that I am grateful.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 4:31 PM

I don't think the two have anything to do with each other. It was after all 35 years between the 1981 and 2016 titles. Nobody that I know of that was connected with the 1981 title had anything to do with the 2016 or 2018 National Championship.

Jan 11, 2019, 4:57 PM

Jeff Davis certainly has been a part of all three.

And I’m sure Dabo and staff used the 1981 title to sell what is possible at Clemson to recruits.

I think It matters a great deal. Imagine a coot coach telling a recruit to come to Columbia and win a championship. They would be laughed out of the living room if the recruits’ family has any understanding of history.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic