Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
1977 Death Valley ND/CU, I was there
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

1977 Death Valley ND/CU, I was there

Sep 25, 2015, 10:20 AM

The second best ND player of the field, Ken McAfee, TE, All American, caught a delayed pass over the middle for a score that won the game for ND, 21-17. ND went on to win the national title against Texas. Their record 11-1. The best player on the field for ND? A totally unknown junior QB named Joe Montana.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since Notre Dame was the last home game of 1977

Sep 25, 2015, 10:47 AM

and the South Upper Deck was added in 1978, the Clemson/
Notre Dame game was the last game Death Valley was
upper deckless. I was in 10th grade and wanted to go
with a couple of HS buddies but we were told it was sold
out, General Admission included, so we had to watch on TV.
It was the hottest topic all week at Daniel HS. Read later
in the Greenville News that even the press box was as
crowded as it had ever been. Needless to say, the whole
upstate was buzzing then; Notre Dame was revered more then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1977 Death Valley ND/CU, I was there

Sep 25, 2015, 10:51 AM

Yep,,,Great Game.... Always great when Clemson is the underdog but, you believe you can beat anybody.
Clemson Football is our identity and it does recruit...I decided I would go there after that game.

Not to play football though,,,, just drink beer and bleed orange..... I still do today....

Re: 1977 Death Valley ND/CU, I was there too!

Sep 25, 2015, 10:51 AM

I was there also, it was a great atmosphere. 17 years old and had a great time. will be there again 10-3-2015
GO TIGERS !!!!

I was there, I remember

Sep 25, 2015, 10:54 AM

Dan Devine going on the field and picking up the ref's flag. sat amongst a ton of notre dame fans. Had a good time with them. Great fans

was my freshman year.

Sep 25, 2015, 10:57 AM

I remember sitting in the stands praying we could hold it together. It felt like they just wore us down and had the deeper team. Tigers gave it a hell of a shot.
I was at the National Championship game, the Woody Hayes game, lots of wins and losses thru the years - but this one game sticks out to me. I remember it like it was yesterday.
a win and maybe it goes away.
Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also was there...

Sep 25, 2015, 11:01 AM

It was a special year... We gave ND quite a scare!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was listening to Jim Phillips and remember thinking what

Sep 25, 2015, 11:07 AM

a cool name: Joe Montana...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was the PA announcer during those days.

Sep 25, 2015, 11:10 AM

Bad feelings in the Press Box after that name.

Sep 25, 2015, 11:21 AM

I was there. My bother was a freshman at Clemson. I was in the 10th grade. Me and a friend drove up on the Friday before the game. We went to the pep rally in the amphitheater on Friday night. Then went to parties in Johnstone half the night. These guys were beating an old car that had Notre Dame written on it with baseball bats all night long... We sat on a tree limb on the hill. I think it's the oak tree they are getting ready to cut down. Have not missed a home game played in Death Valley since 1972 and Thank God still going. GO TIGERS !!!

Sep 25, 2015, 11:29 AM

Awesome hearing stories about people who attended the game. I wasn't quite alive in 1977, but my father was eyeing Joe Montana all game long from the defensive side for the Tigers. I make him give me the Note Dame story more than he probably likes.

Anyone else remember the pep rally ...

Sep 25, 2015, 12:00 PM

...with RC Edwards begging students not to go over to the holiday Inn and wake up the Irish players?

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember RC and Moonpie***

Sep 25, 2015, 7:19 PM

South Stands 13 years old.

Sep 25, 2015, 12:04 PM

My sister was a student at the time but had to miss the game taking the National Teacher's Exam. I remember watching Montana and loving the name. He didn't start. If we hadn't hurt the first string QB, I believe Clemson would have won the game.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic